Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I'm still not clear what the CMA can do if MS tries to close over them. I've been people say they cannot close over the CMA because they would have to stop doing business there, even Resetera was saying this, but now it's being completely ignored.

I still want to see documents/laws on what would happen if they try to close over the CMA's block.
It’s confusing. Looks like some major gaslighting is happening here.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Are you sure the CMA block still stands until August 29? It could expire at the end of that CAT hearing on July 17 and then MS will close.
It stands unless overturned. The new development has CMA reviewing the restructured deal which involves a UK cloud divestiture, which is demonstrably worse for consumers and will likely also be blocked.

April: CMA blocks
May: Microsoft appeals to overturn block
July: Microsoft abandons appeal; CMA block still stands

Or something like that.

Arminius

19 May 2023
It's incredibly annoying. All those articles should be stating clearly that Microsoft is forbidden to close by the CMA and that trying to do so when the TRO expires is illegal.
If MS decides to close over CMA, would Microsoft be forced to divest? I’ve also heard somewhere Ms could be broken into different pieces if they tried to do that.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I'm still not clear what the CMA can do if MS tries to close over them. I've been people say they cannot close over the CMA because they would have to stop doing business there, even Resetera was saying this, but now it's being completely ignored.

I still want to see documents/laws on what would happen if they try to close over the CMA's block.
Probably similar too Meta/giphy case when they closed over the CMA. Fine them until they submit to CMAs final decision, in that case they were forced to divest.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Probably similar too Meta/giphy case when they closed over the CMA. Fine them until they submit to CMAs final decision, in that case they where forces to divest.
I think MS is bluffing, because iirc they can fine a relatively high percentage of -global- revenue

*edit* looked it up, max fine is up to 10% of global revenue. That'll be in excess of $20 billion.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
They're not going to lose them regardless what happens. Microsoft tried twice to entice them and they waved them away. You need to calm down with your hard on in multiple threads saying that they have to buy them they don't and Square would have to be willing to be bought.
I think they are willing to be acquired by Sony.
There are too many events that happened between Sony and Square Enix. I simply won’t believe it’s just pure coincidences.
MS attempted to buy Square Enix in 2020. Square rejected them. Sony got reported that MS wanted to buy Square Enix. Same majority of shareholders so very likely Sony got informed. Then Greg Miller and Jeff Grubb both heard from different sources in early 2021 that Sony has only interest in Square Enix. A long key-executive of Square Enix with Shinji Hashimoto declared his retirement due of age. A couple of weeks later he gets hired by Sony Music for an executive role. In 2022 Embracer buying the entire western arm of Square Enix. Eidos Interactive Founder speaks in an interview about this divestiture of their western arm. He states it’s because Sony is only interested in the Japanese part of Square Enix. Sony double dips on Manga to Anime Adaptions of Square Enix treasure drove. Previously Team Asano games exclusive to Nintendo such as Octopath and Live a Live hitting PS but not Xbox. FF7R didn’t launch on Xbox, neither will FFXVI. Square Enix announcing to move into a new and bigger HQ close to Sony’s in Shibuya. Targeting 2023 November for move. Matsuda declares his retirement. The new appointed CEO is coming from a Metaverse company. Am company Sony previously invested in. There is no way in hell this are all random coincidences. I bet on it.

Last edited:

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
If MS decides to close over CMA, would Microsoft be forced to divest? I’ve also heard somewhere Ms could be broken into different pieces if they tried to do that.
If they close with the current iteration of the transaction, which has been blocked, they would be fined increasingly by the CMA and the CMA would likely also not entertain their new divestiture proposal. Ultimately they would be forced to divest of ABK at a substantial loss (more than 3b) or forced to leave the UK. Their offices would be shut down in an extreme scenario where they are flaunting their violation of the law.

Closing over the CMA when NZ, Australia and Canada have similar concerns will also demonstrate to every country, not just those, that they think they're above the law of sovereign nations. None of them think "wow this deal is too big, better rubber stamp it or boy gosh will I feel embarrassed" and every one of them will be compelled to make sure no company ever gets so big that they can attempt it again, including Biden's US.

DForce

24 Jun 2022
Probably similar too Meta/giphy case when they closed over the CMA. Fine them until they submit to CMAs final decision, in that case they were forced to divest.

I see. I didn't know anything about the Meta/Giphy merger.

So it appears there's nothing but speculation that they're going to close over the CMA.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I see. I didn't know anything about the Meta/Giphy merger.

So it appears there's nothing but speculation that they're going to close over the CMA.

I mean its a possibility but, the odds of this being 100% blocked now are nill. It's going to have a concession, and I believe its going to be with specific IP's for cloud.

Monday will be the deciding factor for ABK if they want to go along with extension.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
i guess we'll find out on the conference monday, as the CAT postponement is the only wrinkle in this theory and suggest that a UK divestiture is being worked out.

Arminius

19 May 2023
What’s going on here? Did something suddenly change? This thread is such an emotional rollercoaster.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Until shown otherwise I'm in the camp that Microsoft is bluffing and trying to ratchet up the pressure so the CMA will blink.
Possible but even without a bluff this looks like its pretty much done next week.

Only thing that can happen now is the cma tells them monday they need until august 29th to review the new deal and acti says no and walk or they say ok and extend.

50/50 right now.

I personally dont see the cma killing it on the 29th nor do i see acti not extending.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yea with Jason Schrier reporting that unless something goes horribly wrong by Monday/Tuesday this ABK is with MS at this point.

DemonRavana

30 Jun 2023
Yea with Jason Schrier reporting that unless something goes horribly wrong by Monday/Tuesday this ABK is with MS at this point.

I'm not sure he actually knows or if this is him speculating after reading all the news of his fellow reporters, as he's linking to someone else's article and it didn't say that the CMA was going to lift their temporary order on Monday. He does say the CMA signaled that it would accept concessions, but again, that feels like him speaking about someone else's reporting.

I very much trust Jason with news but I can't tell if this is him reporting or just commenting. It certainly could go either way but it still seems the most probable outcome is that ABK-MS extend their agreement early next week and the CMA ends up accepting their concessions a few weeks to a month after that. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Either way though, yeah, it seems like it's eventually going through.