Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I can guarantee all of you here. If Microsoft is successful on this plan of theirs, they will break both Sony and Nintendo and will buy both. And this gen will be the last one we get with great games.
on the bright side, the chances of them succeeding is not that great. Their management sucks and the merger process between Microsoft and ABK will be colossally complex to the point they’ll have massive problems while doing it.
This is such a double edged sword I can’t even begin to fathom how they’ll solve all the issues this merge will bring to MS.
Also. They’ll kill CoD, just like they’re killing Minecraft.
Nintendo is based in Japan, their gov would say no. Honestly, they would veto Sony in that market too. To do otherwise would be to say good by to one of the world's largest "Japanese" companies.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Yeah, im not really sure what Sony is going to do to counter this but they better act fast 😅

They’ve had over a year and a half to work out deals and investments, i hope concord and fairgame$ isn’ it. Microsoft a bigger contributors to Sonys bottom line than EA and Take Two is now

This is literally governments, judges and regulators picking winners. This whole case is an example of govs putting their hands on the scale. FTC and CMA were the only regs that stood against this. How you can be allowed to buy the pub that sells the most on your competitions platform and not be considered anti competitive and straight up blocked?
The tweet above is all you need to see how illegal this acquisition was, its as illegal as it gets😂.

There is literally nothing Sony can do now, their best interests have always been to make their partners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) as successful as possible because they are intrinsically linked and it leads to more money for all parties.

Government and regulators have put sony in a position where Sony must now make microsoft, a direct competitor, as successful as possible so they can both continue to make as much money as possible. This is so mind boggling anti competitive that i cant even believe it got approved.
come to think of it, Sony and MS now cant compete with each other if they both want to succeed, weakening cod under ms will harm both Sony and MS. Weakening Sony will hurt cod. Weakening cod will harm both sony and ms……..
This is such a dumb and ridiculous situation, and its been approved by folks that claim to be educated.

In addition, Gov and Regs have put sony in a position where they must now trade secrets on hardware with their direct competitor in order to have parity on launches and performances.
The best thing sony can do is to totally walk away from this partner.

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
This is literally governments, judges and regulators picking winners. This whole case is an example of govs putting their hands on the scale. FTC and CMA were the only regs that stood against this. How you can be allowed to buy the pub that sells the most on your competitions platform and not be considered anti competitive and straight up blocked?
The tweet above is all you need to see how illegal this acquisition was, its as illegal as it gets😂.

There is literally nothing Sony can do now, their best interests have always been to make their partners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) as successful as possible because they are intrinsically linked and it leads to more money for all parties.

Government and regulators have put sony in a position where Sony must now make microsoft, a direct competitor, as successful as possible so they can continue to make as money as possible. This is so mind boggling anti competitive that i cant even believe it got approved.
come to think of it, Sony and MS now cant compete with each other if they both want to succeed, weakening cod under ms will harm both Sony and MS. Weakening Sony will hurt cod. Weakening cod will harm both sony and ms……..
This is such a dumb and ridiculous situation, and its been approved by folks that claim to be educated.

In addition, Gov and Regs have put sony in a position where they must now trade secrets on hardware with their direct competitor in order to have parity on launches and performances.
The best thing sony can do is to totally walk away from this partner.
This was always the case. The US reps from Congress made it a USA vs Japan thing. Sony needs to pull their HQ outta the US... One of the biggest misjudgements.

I don't see Sony giving them trade secrets what they will do is simply use the PS5 version for the PS6 launch then get an upgrade patch out for free.

Sony couldn't have seen this coming at the start of the generation so I can't be too mad with them. They still hold some power. What they need to do immediately, is start getting more aggressive with selling PS5's to give them more bargaining leverage for the immediate future. Also go back to being a closed ecosystem and get the hell off steam.

But they need Capcom more than Square and that will be my stance. I doubt they'll be able to lock them down since I know the Saudi's def try to outbid immediately and possibly Nintendo would step in.

Consolidating around 3rd parties was their plan this gen. Hope they learn their lesson. All those years of them pussyfooting around with Xbox when they could have knocked them out cold from 2014....

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
There will be mass exodus of talent within ABK. Make no mistake.
Not immediately. Many will wait to see if MS will bargain to improve working conditions. But best believe if they keep Bobby around we will see many leave. Sony needs to be on the prowl to poach as many.

Will be interesting to see how Xbox manages Activision though. It would be a shame if they eventually weaken them over time.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Not immediately. Many will wait to see if MS will bargain to improve working conditions. But best believe if they keep Bobby around we will see many leave. Sony needs to be on the prowl to poach as many.

Will be interesting to see how Xbox manages Activision though. It would be a shame if they eventually weaken them over time.
They are the Midas touch of shit though. Everything they touched into turd.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I can guarantee all of you here. If Microsoft is successful on this plan of theirs, they will break both Sony and Nintendo and will buy both. And this gen will be the last one we get with great games.
on the bright side, the chances of them succeeding is not that great. Their management sucks and the merger process between Microsoft and ABK will be colossally complex to the point they’ll have massive problems while doing it.
This is such a double edged sword I can’t even begin to fathom how they’ll solve all the issues this merge will bring to MS.
Nintendo deserves to be broken. Imagine not siding with Sony even if y'all have petty grudges that happened 30 years ago lol.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
They are the Midas touch of shit though. Everything they touched into turd.
I am all for COD getting weaknened but Activision overall? No... That's a lot of cash flow and possible creative talent evaporating from the game industry.

Reactions: Arminius
D

Deleted member 223

Talent does not evaporate. Talent moves around, and shop their skills to whomever is willing to pay for them. Or, start their own shit.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I am all for COD getting weaknened but Activision overall? No... That's a lot of cash flow and possible creative talent evaporating from the game industry.
Talents will goes elsewhere.

Hope Activision Blizzard got burnt to the ground by Microsoft:unsure:
6vpg3m.png

Just please leave my country alone from this US vs Jap bullshit, this isn't fucking WW2.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I think Sony would lose a shit ton of valuable revenue by cutting off CoD but it should and probably is being considered. Continuing to rely on your competitors games for revenue is going to diminish their brand, greatly. Especially if Microsoft decides next gen to make it exclusive to xbox/pc.

Sony need to start building up or finding a replacement for CoD. Keep warzone because its F2P but they need something like an APEX to replace the mainline series.

Microsoft is pretty much relying on Sony to fund this acquisition for them cause without sony 60% of the COD revenue evaporates.

Sony now has a shit ton of money that they aren’t spending on 6 years of COD marketing to put to good use.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Can we not use Xbots, Ponies terminology?

This poster on Gaf basically sums up how I feel on the current discourse of gaming and why im not posting as much anymore:

View attachment 1865

So can we stop with the dumb xbot/Pony stuff? If you want to be like that there's discord channels where you can let everything fly. Ask someone here for the offical Icon era discord if you are interested. Some good peeps over there.

But on this forum we really should be above all this dumb stuff. I know its hard because of the environment that we have noted above. But I don't want new people being pushed away or laughing at this place everyone built being passionate fans. Regardless of what you prefer.
Well, all these dumb stuff were first started by m$ themselves. And console wars is real and still kicking, obviously after m$ started this acquisition wars and resetera keep throwing negative accusations to Playstation and its fans. It's about us(Playstation fans) vs them(xbotz) now. It's natural that we have to retaliate.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
MS has more of a chance in running playstation out of business then Japanese regulators allowing two of their biggest corporations to be bought. They are too significant culturally to be bought by a foreign company. Sony's absolutely idiotic for allowing themselves to become so reliant on call of duty, to the point where there should already have been some investment in activision if that was the case. instead they grew comfortable and allowed a rival to swoop in.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
MS has more of a chance in running playstation out of business then Japanese regulators allowing two of their biggest corporations to be bought. They are too significant culturally to be bought by a foreign company. Sony's absolutely idiotic for allowing themselves to become so reliant on call of duty, to the point where there should already have been some investment in activision if that was the case. instead they grew comfortable and allowed a rival to swoop in.
That's been the issue with them since PS4 era. They got so complacent. Jim being the idiot he is came out 2019 to tell Xbox our plan next gen is to simply consolidate around all big 3rd party pubs... Yeah no wonder Xbox decided to go after everyone a few months later.

24 Jun 2022
Nintendo is based in Japan, their gov would say no. Honestly, they would veto Sony in that market too. To do otherwise would be to say good by to one of the world's largest "Japanese" companies.

You do realize Sony & Nintendo could enter a merger and the Japanese gov't would 100% approve that, correct?

I'm not saying there's a chance in hell that's happening. But theoretically, it could, and they would have no issues getting that merger approved in Japan and I'd imagine in global regulatory markets, either.

That's been the issue with them since PS4 era. They got so complacent. Jim being the idiot he is came out 2019 to tell Xbox our plan next gen is to simply consolidate around all big 3rd party pubs... Yeah no wonder Xbox decided to go after everyone a few months later.

When did Jim Ryan actually say this? Better yet, where is the proof? The only big 3P exclusives Sony have this gen are with Square-Enix. I would not call Deathloop nor Ghostwire Tokyo "big" 3P AAA releases, even if Sony tried marketing them as such. Yes, they have marketing deals with companies like Capcom and their big 3P AAA releases (RE8, RE4R, SF6 etc.), but none of those are exclusive. Same with Bandai-Namco games, otherwise we would've seen Elden Ring as a timed PlayStation console exclusive.

You're giving way too much credit to a rumor that was always fearmongering BS, and probably kicked out there to create an environment for people to accept the Zenimax acquisition announcement more easily. And surprisingly you are still buying into it, as I'm sure many others are, and at least for those many others, are leveraging it as a point to justify accepting the ABK acquisition.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
You do realize Sony & Nintendo could enter a merger and the Japanese gov't would 100% approve that, correct?

I'm not saying there's a chance in hell that's happening. But theoretically, it could, and they would have no issues getting that merger approved in Japan and I'd imagine in global regulatory markets, either.
Nintendo tried to merge with Bandai in 2002 and were denied. Why on earth would the JP regulatory bodies not let Nintendo be the big spoon to Bandai but let it get brought by Sony instead? Would actually probably not pass anywhere as that would be a horizontal merger of console manufacturers too.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Nah there is no such things as loyalty in business. The relationship between Sony and Square Enix can change to the worse, if the CEO playing foul games behind their back. Yoichi Wada and Matsuda backstabbed Sony twice. This is so exhausting to worry about Square Enix for decades, just put a ring for them. For Sony’s own good. This is an investment that will be important. And I disagree Microsoft won’t get Take2 or EA. This would never be granted. They are too big. Microsoft will probably look to acquire something like Ubisoft or Embracer (perfect for content).

Thank GIF

Someone gets it. The argument of "Sony already has a good relationship with a studio" holds no water.

Sony's timed exlcusivity deals are a bandaid at best.

You secure a timed exclusivity for a title, only for the publisher to be bought out and a sequel lost to your user base.

Money talks and loyalty means nothing. The only way to prevent IP loss is outright acquisition

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Nintendo tried to merge with Bandai in 2002 and were denied. Why on earth would the JP regulatory bodies not let Nintendo be the big spoon to Bandai but let it get brought by Sony instead? Would actually probably not pass anywhere as that would be a horizontal merger of console manufacturers too.
You are making that up.

There were rumors and that's it. Nothing else.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Just want to remind everyone freaking out about this that Microsoft's MO is to put on a huge media spin campaign to ratchet up political pressure.

Key points didn't change:

-The CMA blocked the deal.
-Microsoft went and threw a huge hissy fit and as a result, the British government expanded the CMA's ability to regulate.
-One of the main objections to behavioral remedies by the CMA was the difficulty of policing them.
-A minor restructuring of the deal would be hard to police.

Today we have news that
-Microsoft are ending the Gamepass family plan
-One of their major marketing guys is leaving
-The narrative lead of one of their major AAA upcoming titles is leaving.

Now, why would that happen if all is well and "welcome to the family ABK"?
Thanks for this. Quoting it for this page.