Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

US FTC eyes options after Microsoft/Activision loss, source says​

FTC are the only ones who have demonstrated they have balls

Balls, but no brains.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
This is also a further reason why Sony won’t attempt to buy a western pub. Because they would block it. But Japan is definitely a topic on its own. If Sony goes after Square Enix and Capcom, the western corrupted regulators can do shit in Japan. Japan is the only realistic one where Sony will buy a pub.
FTC, CMA and EU would all have a say in Japanese acquisitions as well. The only difference is that MS would be a lot less tempted to outbid Sony given how much harder it would be for them to close those deals.

Acquiring Japanese publisher like Capcom and Square would bring Sony closer to being like Nintendo, but based on how Sony operated recently Take-Two, EA or even Ubisoft are a lot more appealing to them.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
FTC, CMA and EU would all have a say in Japanese acquisitions as well. The only difference is that MS would be a lot less tempted to outbid Sony given how much harder it would be for them to close those deals.
No they wouldn’t. Regulatory of Japanese market is the obligation of the Japanese government and JFTC alone.

You’re comparing Apples with Oranges.
Bethesda and Activision Blizzard got scrutinised and probed by many regulators because they have in nearly every country on the world studios and offices. Activision Blizzard and Zenimax are huge in terms of assets.

Square Enix is Japan only.
Capcom is also Japan only.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Only regulator I'd worry about is EU TBH....

I don't think the CMA or FTC would cause an issue for Sony after Microsoft got away with so so much.

But Vesteger and co in Europe are really disingenuous and you saw how they changed rules to hire an American lawyer from Microsoft.

But Sony could close over them if they were doing something big.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
I personalty always hated ABK since before they bought and ruined Blizzard. The best thing about a block would've been the precedent it would set and the effect it would have on the toxic Xbox community.

The past two or three years were easily the worst period ever to be following gaming news thanks to MS and their army of stupid shills.

They’ve been unhinged and a block would bring them back to reality. They’re going to have a sobering moment anyway when they eventually realize nothing new is coming from Activision. Xbox already gets all their games.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023

Acquiring Japanese publisher like Capcom and Square would bring Sony closer to being like Nintendo, but based on how Sony operated recently Take-Two, EA or even Ubisoft are a lot more appealing to them.
No they don't, they just need to be notified. That is it. Sony just simply put them under its arms like Sony Music and SIE. There is no grounds to block that, and for better reasons Sony Music, Pictures and SIE can all take advantages of their IP and resources

Also it has been discussed to death why Take2 and EA are impossible for Sony even if they have 30-40M cash on hand.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Seems like Sony didn’t give up on them.
This could be a fine military shooter.

When Tony Flame came on I knew shit would change. Guy knows his shit and whatever the prototype was, was not working and not to Sony's standards. Tony probably pitched something with his team and thats what they are hiring for.

Just opinion/hunch. Blundel left after they set them up and I wonder if the director who he didn't mesh with creativity is what killed the first project. The fact that Sony intervened this early shows you how well they look over things.

Take note Microsoft this is what should have happened before E3 2020.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
They’ve been unhinged and a block would bring them back to reality. They’re going to have a sobering moment anyway when they eventually realize nothing new is coming from Activision. Xbox already gets all their games.
If Bobby is trying to sell you something it's a good indication it's busted and unsalvageable.

No they don't, they just need to be notified. That is it. Sony just simply put it under its arms like Sony Music and SIE. There is no grounds to block that.

Also it has been discussed to death why Take2 and EA are impossible for Sony even if they have 30-40M cash on hand.
There are no grounds to block anything after ABK no matter if it's a western developer or a Japanese one. The hardest part would be outbidding MS.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
No they wouldn’t. Regulatory of Japanese market is the obligation of the Japanese government and JFTC alone.

Bethesda and Activision Blizzard got scrutinised and probed by many regulators because they have in nearly every country on the world studios and offices. Activision Blizzard and Zenimax are huge in terms of assets.

Do you even think about what you write? All regulators get to have a say on the acquisitions since PlayStation operates in all markets.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
FTC are the only ones who have demonstrated they have balls
Yeah but they are the ones with the less power unfortunately.
I bet they didn’t expect the Judge to ask to see this so called new deal(there is none). CMA is scribbling together something to show the Judge as we speak. Knowing he sees through the CMA obvious back tracking, I bet it doesn’t please him what they come up with.

Still hoping for a last minute hail mary block, or Activision walks away.
I'm praying the judge looks at the "new deal" and says WTF Is that? and cancel the decision from today. The CMA will be stuck defending their final report in court next week.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Do you even think about what you write? All regulators get to have a say on the acquisitions since PlayStation operates in all markets.
I don't think it will be a problem.

If you look at what is the biggest hangup with ms/abk it's cod.

With SE and capcom regulators wouldn't be able to find anything of that magnitude that sony could remove to create a SLC.

Besides if ms got away with abk by pinky promises and lofty deals, then so can other companies, this will set a precedent.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
I don't see how the block can still stand. I mean the CMA was the one that did it and now they don't want to continue the block so it should be done. At most wouldn't this only stay in effect until the CAT trial if the judge doesn't budge?

I guess the Judge can tell them to proceed with the appeal trial if he continues to not be swayed by both MS and CMA playground tactics.

In that instance it would drag on further and maybe Activision gives up. 🤞

I'm praying the judge looks at the "new deal" and says WTF Is that? and cancel the decision from today. The CMA will be stuck defending their final report in court next week.

Did the judge already agree to ignore the final report?

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I don't think it will be a problem.

If you look at what is the biggest hangup with ms/abk it's cod.

With SE and capcom regulators wouldn't be able to find anything if that magnitude that ain't could remove to create a SLC.

Besides if ms got away with abk by pinky promises and lofty deals, then so can other companies, this will set a precedent.
I'm not saying it's going to be a problem, after ABK if Sony has the money and doesn't get outbid they would be able to acquire pretty much anyone short of Nitendo.

Who said that SIE would buy them?
Sony group corporation will buy Square not PlayStation division.
Who cares? You think regulators don't know Sony owns PlayStation? They still get to approve it (and they also would allow it anyway since even ABK got the green light apparently), your point of Japan being the only one who gets a say make no sense.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

That would be a sight to see. I think we've all accepted this is going through, why not one last clown show?

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023

Also Square firesale their Western division back in 22'. Besides from cutting loss of course.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
This is also a further reason why Sony won’t attempt to buy a western pub. Because they would block it. But Japan is definitely a topic on its own. If Sony goes after Square Enix and Capcom, the western corrupted regulators can do shit in Japan. Japan is the only realistic one where Sony will buy a pub.

Reason why Square Enix sold their Western wing.

So Western regulators don’t scupper an acquisition.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Reason why Square Enix sold their Western wing.

So Western regulators don’t scupper an acquisition.
Reason SE sold their western wing, they are SE and wanted money for more investment in NFTs.

No regulator would care about Crystal Dynamic and Eidos Montreal. Bethesda passed like it was nothing.