Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I don't agree with everything in this article, but it does have some interesting takes on a couple of the reasons why regulators have offered so much pushback on the deal.

What????

while Microsoft decisively beats Sony’s PlayStation Plus in subscribers and revenue with its own monthly games subscription platform, Game Pass.

Hahahahahahaha

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
What????

Hahahahahahaha
Yeah that part is objectively wrong, as is them trying to equate 3rd party exclusive deals with buying out publishers, but their point about monetization that could be done by MS seems like a fairly interesting one imo, as well as his point about there being no way MS would be willing to agree to make everything at ABK stay multiplat. It also doesn't read like the typical shill complaining about how much scrutiny the deal is getting.

It's a flawed article for sure, but one I think would make for interesting discussion.

Last edited:

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Many are, some think Xbox could do so well at the hearing next week that they shift things back in their favor.

The more reasonable ones argue that they should just give up on owning COD and either invest in 3rd party exclusives or just buy the non COD related portions of ABK.

I can probably guess which users in that thread are still gung-ho on the miracle comeback kid storyline...because they've been on that storyline for like six months.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Everything about this acquisition lately has made me remember something that HeisenbergFX4 on gaf once said. I still don't know if he's a legit insider but it sounds like he's submitted some verified info to the gaf mods before... he posted once that Phil Spencer had a party when Jim Ryan was named CEO of Playstation because they thought he was a weak executive. Then I look back to the one thing that Jim has said that has actually been kind of encapsulated the entire generation so far: "we're going to let the games do the talking". I wonder if Phil still feels that Jim is a weak executive.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Everything about this acquisition lately has made me remember something that HeisenbergFX4 on gaf once said. I still don't know if he's a legit insider but it sounds like he's submitted some verified info to the gaf mods before... he posted once that Phil Spencer had a party when Jim Ryan was named CEO of Playstation because they thought he was a weak executive. Then I look back to the one thing that Jim has said that has actually been kind of encapsulated the entire generation so far: "we're going to let the games do the talking". I wonder if Phil still feels that Jim is a weak executive.
Oof. They should stay away from those PlayStation exec performance reviews they've been begging the judge for in case they make Spencer look more talentless than he already does.

TwistedSyn

10 Jul 2022
If that is true, he is more of a clown than I thought. How does it feel Phil to have your image be ruined by a guy that has been an executive of PS EU since the PS1 days (1994)? I don't like Jim but, at least he is giving me actual games to look forward to. You on the other hand never STFU and keep breaking promises. 🤡

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I found the story. Phil and Mike Ybarra (Blizzard CEO) opened a bottle of scotch when Jim was promoted. Everyone made fun of Jim since the beginning. He's the most hated Playstation CEO ever but he will prove everyone wrong.

In the end Phil will go down and Mike Ybarra won't profit with the ABK deal. Justice.

Screenshot_20230216_003426_DuckDuckGo.jpg

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I found the story. Phil and Mike Ybarra (Blizzard CEO) opened a bottle of scotch when Jim was promoted. Everyone made fun of Jim since the beginning. He's the most hated Playstation CEO ever but he will prove everyone wrong.

In the end Phil will go down and Mike Ybarra won't profit with the ABK deal. Justice.

yep, that's the post. iirc he's also submitted evidence to the gaf mods that Digital Foundry was on the take from Microsoft/Xbox, with details about the deal. I think that post was deleted though. I come across his posts every once in a while because he's claimed to have gamed with a bunch of the MS exec suite/big shots like Greenberg, Phil, etc.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

View attachment 553

He's only hated by Xbox fanboys, though...
PS fans either don't care or use him as memes...
Nintendo fans also don't care.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
If that's true, that's an insane amount of hubris.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Speaking of Gaf insiders, SneakersSO has been commenting alot in the activsion acquisition thread. I dont know how legit everything he says is but i remember he was pretty reliable leaking some bethesda things back in the ps4 days.

• brain
Reactions: Deleted member 417