Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Wait until the FTC issues their subpoenas, the truth about the gamepass scam (and other shady shit outside gaming) will come out.

I saw people in twatter talking about Sony reciprocating, but they are not a party in the lawsuit. The FTC are the ones who can and will do so.
uch, i want to know 3 things from gamepass : how many subs? how much real revenue from those subs? how many subs are real 4+ months continuously subs?

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This deal won't be done until 2024?

E3 2023 "just wait until you see the games coming in 2024 when the deal goes through" 😂

Seriously though, by 2024 Microsoft are going to be so far behind it won't make a difference wether they own ABK or not as no-one will be gaming on xbox.
It’ll only go on that long if MS somehow gets approval with conditions from the CMA, which seems very unlikely.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
EU has a closed door hearing next week about the ABK deal. Foss(with the biased lawyer guy) says Sony and MS will likely end up directly arguing with eachother in court at this hearing over the deal.

Though the cma are the ones who have the most power when it comes to the fate of deals like this.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
If the CMA remains unconvinced by Microsoft's behavioral remedy proposals by the April deadline and takes a hard stance against the deal, it pretty much doesn't matter what happens with the FTC.
It seems they rarely accept these behavioral remedies. Tbh MS chose a poor time to acquire ABK. The word is turning against big techs in general and the massive layoffs are only making things look worse for them. I say the deal is dead.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It seems they rarely accept these behavioral remedies. Tbh MS chose a poor time to acquire ABK. The word is turning against big techs in general and the massive layoffs are only making things look worse for them. I say the deal is dead.
When the statement about behavioural remedies being too much of a hassle to be considered was included in the report, that was basically the CMA saying the deal is refused approval without saying it directly before allowing the required response from MS.

None of the structural remedies would be acceptable for MS, as they all remove the sole motivator for the purchase from MS’ ownership.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I do feel like they picked a bad time politically to try something like this, but I dunno.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
When the statement about behavioural remedies being too much of a hassle to be considered was included in the report, that was basically the CMA saying the deal is refused approval without saying it directly before allowing the required response from MS.

None of the structural remedies would be acceptable for MS, as they all remove the sole motivator for the purchase from MS’ ownership.

I will be very surprised if MS accepts the structural remedies without at least renegotiating the terms with ABK. If they don't, it will just be an admission that this was not about King, but rather Activision and Blizzard, about taking more IP from the competition.

At this stage I believe it will only pass with heavy concessions which MS will have to deal with, and I cannot wait for the spins from the outsourced opinion sharers.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I will be very surprised if MS accepts the structural remedies without at least renegotiating the terms with ABK. If they don't, it will just be an admission that this was not about King, but rather Activision and Blizzard, about taking more IP from the competition.

At this stage I believe it will only pass with heavy concessions which MS will have to deal with, and I cannot wait for the spins from the outsourced opinion sharers.
If they renegotiate terms, the whole process would start over form zero and MS would have to pay the fine for the deal not closing.

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 417

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Love the name Activism Defense, as if billion dollar companies are involved in any sort of... activism.
Billion dollar companies are always involved in activism. In fact they are involved in the only activism that matters: lobbying legislators with reelection fund bribes, offers of consulting gigs once their terms are up, nepotism for friends and family, inside info on stock movements.... you name it. There's a reason why laws are basically written by and for industry.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Billion dollar companies are always involved in activism. In fact they are involved in the only activism that matters: lobbying legislators with reelection fund bribes, offers of consulting gigs once their terms are up, nepotism for friends and family, inside info on stock movements.... you name it. There's a reason why laws are basically written by and for industry.

I don't consider that to be activism. Maybe I'm wrong.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Right. The deal is clearly dead. There's been no good news about it and the CMA's been straightforward that behavioural remedies (of which access remedies are a subset) are not going to be accepted without structural divestment, so I can't understand the fanfiction and far huffing delusion I'm seeing on twitter and reeeeee. Can someone explain?

The bad news for people that are this attached to their plastic box is that it's the beginning of a terminal decline in the Xbox HW biz. $69b wasn't approved to spend on anything in gaming, it was for this failed transaction specifically. If they can't find an equally valuable opportunity for this cash in the gaming sphere, that money will be put to use in a different sector. Investor pressure will mount and it's now only a matter of time before they pull out of HW and become 3rd party, which is a pity, because ironically they don't know how to run software houses as evidenced by 343i. I fear for Bethesda, Oblivion, inExile, Double Fine, and their IPs.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway reduces its stakes in Activision Blizzard by 12.35%, and now holds a 6.7% stake:

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
Feel like the CMA only mentioned behavioural remedies so that their statement didn't appear one-sided/biased even though it clearly is.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75