Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
There must be a revolving door between MS and EA, maybe not so much anymore but definitely in the 360/xbone days.
nah, it was just peter moore helping his old team out. It happens in business, its all about connections.

I remember peter moore saying he justified the deals to EA by saying it was better for 3rd parties if they had 2 healthy platforms to pull from, so they should look at helping xbox build marketshare in those dark Xbone days.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
nah, it was just peter moore helping his old team out. It happens in business, its all about connections.

I remember peter moore saying he justified the deals to EA by saying it was better for 3rd parties if they had 2 healthy platforms to pull from, so they should look at helping xbox build marketshare in those dark Xbone days.

EA's always been like that. If it wasn't Microsoft, it was SEGA. They basically ignored Nintendo during the 16-bit days and were fully SEGA Genesis/MegaDrive with Haunting Starring Poultryguy (really fun game BTW), Road Rash, the Madden games etc.

Though I doubt EA reverse-engineered XBO devkits and held Microsoft at ransom to get a sweetheart deal, like they did with the Genesis towards SEGA. 😂

• Informative
Reactions: EN250

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
When I watched the fallout of the Zenimax deal, what MS did with it - I realized it's not about succeeding in the gaming industry for them. It's about dominating and controlling it. When they announced their bid to buy ABK, that was more confirmation as was the boasting about how they weren't done with acquisitions yet. Over the years, I've watched this absolute refusal of MS to focus on games and particularly their first-party output. The people in charge during the earlier years were different, but those people are long gone now. Phil is the perfect representation of current XBox - talk, talk, talk, lie, lie, etc.

He is, more or less, and I'm dumbfounded by how many have been hoodwinked by his persona. Maybe it's a boyish charm or something? I don't get it.

The fact they rushed to buy ABK just eight months after closing the Zenimax deal, I just don't think that was in good taste. It's one thing to want growth in a sector, but a company should be able to ensure they can actually sustain that growth. Just buying the assets only gives you momentary growth; if those assets can't be managed and grown uniquely from that point onward, then ultimately you're going to lose money and degrade the quality of those assets.

Microsoft has already shown a tendency for this when looking at Rare, or we can look at the Halo and Gears franchises. They acquired Playground in 2018 but was FH5 really that much of a bump over 4? A lot of players even say they prefer 4 over 5, after the initial honeymoon period for 5 faded.

I don't see how the ABK deal goes through now, at least in its original form. There's far too much opposition to it and it's because regulators called it for exactly what it is - anti-competitive and it will bring harm to consumers in the future (as the Zenimax deal already has). I think Zenimax was the test case for regulators and gamers alike - and MS absolutely showed their hand for what they're trying to do to the gaming market with how they handled it. I'm not sure where they go from here, but I agree with you that they already have the tools to fix their current issues. They have for a long time now, but creating and selling great gaming experiences doesn't seem to align with their goals. Unless there is some great shake-up in leadership at MS, I don't see that changing either.

Yeah, and particularly at Xbox upper management. They need a serious shakeup; even ex-employees for some studios (343i for example) have basically said the root of the problem was at Xbox management. They insinuated it, anyway. So if they're saying it, and we're seeing signs of it, then there has to be at least some truth to it!

Like was saying before, if the deal fails or is so butchered from the original target it might as well be a whole different deal, Phil is out the door. They'll let him leave on his own terms, probably as a retirement. They might wait until Starfield releases and gets some big opening numbers so that he can depart on a high note claiming a successful launch for a new tentpole IP at Xbox. But I can't see him staying past that if the deal is a mangled mess due to harsh structural remedies or if the deal fails (either it gets blocked outright or Microsoft walk away from it....I think ABK can also walk away from the deal and that would also count as a failure of the deal).

A monopsony is about a company leveraging its dominance in the market to impose conditions on sellers because there aren't alternatives that you can sell to. It's the complement of monopoly where the company imposes conditions on buyers because there is no one else to buy from.

A company can be dominant in a market without being a monopsony, it depends on the behavior.

Perfectly explained.

There's probably a joke in here of Sony having a monopsony because their name is in the word, but that's too easy.

From the definition though it doesn't sound like they would be guilty of that, either. I'm guessing "seller" in the case of a monopsony is the retail chain, as they'd be the ones buying the product from companies looking to sell to customers. That's what it sounds like anyway.

And I don't see how a company that does direct sales on their own website could be guilty of a monopsony since they're both the buyer (in terms of being the seller) and the seller (to the end customer) of that product.

The PS3 was the most advanced piece of tech in modern history, same with the CDI. They were victims of their own success in a way. It was stupid to put a physical ps2 inside the ps3, but The Cell was, and still is to this day, one of the most advanced CPUs I'm history, unrivaled by almost all other CPUs for what it did.

The big killer was the split ram, which devs told Sony not to do, and they did it anyway.

Amazingly, after all of the difficulty and hate Sony got from devs for the split ram, Microsoft then did it with the Xbone.

Actually, to clarify: the PS3 does not have "split RAM" the way you're probably thinking. The RSX was able to use both pools of memory; the DDR and the XDR. It needed to do this for certain operations as certain data was best suited to one of the two pools of memory.

However, in order to access the Cell's XDR RAM, it had to go through the Cell to do so. It couldn't access the XDR RAM directly. And IIRC the bus connecting the Cell to the RSX wasn't particularly bandwidth-rich. So there may've been some congestion when the RSX wanted to access content in the XDR memory, but I'm just guessing on that part.

The XBO's split RAM solution was worst, because it was magnitudes more lopsided. 8 GB of slow DDR3 and 32 MEGABYTES of fast eSRAM that was barely faster than PS4's 8 GIGABYTES of GDDR5!! The XBO was never overcoming the bandwidth deficit it had because of that setup, the 32 MB of eSRAM wasn't even enough for 1080p framebuffers as the generation went on (not without doing a LOT of tricks to try fitting the framebuffer contents in there).

But the XBO's choice in memory setup was purely driven by MS wanting it to be the "ultimate multimedia machine", with games coming second. And I saw some comparison between the CDI and PS3; I actually disagree with that comparison. At the end of the day, PS3 was still designed for cutting-edge gaming first and foremost; the CDI was never designed with gaming in mind, as it lacked a lot of the expected 2D hardware functions systems like the SNES, Genesis, PC-Engine...even the NES and Master System had. That's why most of the 2D games are simple single-screen point-and-clicks or edutainment software that isn't very taxing in terms of sprites and blitter effects.

There's only maybe ONE game on the CDI that's comparable to the average 2D game on a SNES or Genesis/Megadrive...it's a beatmup with comic book-ish artstyle and FWIW, it's probably the best actual game on the CDI. But it's got nothing on games like Streets of Rage 3 or Final Fight 3 when it comes to speediness of gameplay, scrolling effects, or fluidity. It just has more sprite detail and that's about it.

OTOH, the PS3 was not only developed with (then) modern gaming in mind, when all was said it done it had the better-looking games between it and 360. I'm pretty amazed at how well games like Uncharted 2 still hold up and then comparing it to 360 games released in the same time frame, there isn't really anything on its level.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
He is, more or less, and I'm dumbfounded by how many have been hoodwinked by his persona. Maybe it's a boyish charm or something? I don't get it.

The fact they rushed to buy ABK just eight months after closing the Zenimax deal, I just don't think that was in good taste. It's one thing to want growth in a sector, but a company should be able to ensure they can actually sustain that growth. Just buying the assets only gives you momentary growth; if those assets can't be managed and grown uniquely from that point onward, then ultimately you're going to lose money and degrade the quality of those assets.

Microsoft has already shown a tendency for this when looking at Rare, or we can look at the Halo and Gears franchises. They acquired Playground in 2018 but was FH5 really that much of a bump over 4? A lot of players even say they prefer 4 over 5, after the initial honeymoon period for 5 faded.

Yeah, and particularly at Xbox upper management. They need a serious shakeup; even ex-employees for some studios (343i for example) have basically said the root of the problem was at Xbox management. They insinuated it, anyway. So if they're saying it, and we're seeing signs of it, then there has to be at least some truth to it!

Like was saying before, if the deal fails or is so butchered from the original target it might as well be a whole different deal, Phil is out the door. They'll let him leave on his own terms, probably as a retirement. They might wait until Starfield releases and gets some big opening numbers so that he can depart on a high note claiming a successful launch for a new tentpole IP at Xbox. But I can't see him staying past that if the deal is a mangled mess due to harsh structural remedies or if the deal fails (either it gets blocked outright or Microsoft walk away from it....I think ABK can also walk away from the deal and that would also count as a failure of the deal).

There's probably a joke in here of Sony having a monopsony because their name is in the word, but that's too easy.

From the definition though it doesn't sound like they would be guilty of that, either. I'm guessing "seller" in the case of a monopsony is the retail chain, as they'd be the ones buying the product from companies looking to sell to customers. That's what it sounds like anyway.

And I don't see how a company that does direct sales on their own website could be guilty of a monopsony since they're both the buyer (in terms of being the seller) and the seller (to the end customer) of that product.

Actually, to clarify: the PS3 does not have "split RAM" the way you're probably thinking. The RSX was able to use both pools of memory; the DDR and the XDR. It needed to do this for certain operations as certain data was best suited to one of the two pools of memory.

However, in order to access the Cell's XDR RAM, it had to go through the Cell to do so. It couldn't access the XDR RAM directly. And IIRC the bus connecting the Cell to the RSX wasn't particularly bandwidth-rich. So there may've been some congestion when the RSX wanted to access content in the XDR memory, but I'm just guessing on that part.

The XBO's split RAM solution was worst, because it was magnitudes more lopsided. 8 GB of slow DDR3 and 32 MEGABYTES of fast eSRAM that was barely faster than PS4's 8 GIGABYTES of GDDR5!! The XBO was never overcoming the bandwidth deficit it had because of that setup, the 32 MB of eSRAM wasn't even enough for 1080p framebuffers as the generation went on (not without doing a LOT of tricks to try fitting the framebuffer contents in there).

But the XBO's choice in memory setup was purely driven by MS wanting it to be the "ultimate multimedia machine", with games coming second. And I saw some comparison between the CDI and PS3; I actually disagree with that comparison. At the end of the day, PS3 was still designed for cutting-edge gaming first and foremost; the CDI was never designed with gaming in mind, as it lacked a lot of the expected 2D hardware functions systems like the SNES, Genesis, PC-Engine...even the NES and Master System had. That's why most of the 2D games are simple single-screen point-and-clicks or edutainment software that isn't very taxing in terms of sprites and blitter effects.

There's only maybe ONE game on the CDI that's comparable to the average 2D game on a SNES or Genesis/Megadrive...it's a beatmup with comic book-ish artstyle and FWIW, it's probably the best actual game on the CDI. But it's got nothing on games like Streets of Rage 3 or Final Fight 3 when it comes to speediness of gameplay, scrolling effects, or fluidity. It just has more sprite detail and that's about it.

OTOH, the PS3 was not only developed with (then) modern gaming in mind, when all was said it done it had the better-looking games between it and 360. I'm pretty amazed at how well games like Uncharted 2 still hold up and then comparing it to 360 games released in the same time frame, there isn't really anything on its level.
Yeah, with a weird hardware design like the PS3's, Sony first party were always going to be the only ones who really utilized the hardware to its fullest potential. With the PS5's hardware quirks, I expect more inpressive games to come out once their top studios leave cross-gen behind as well, though it should be much easier for 3rd parties to get results out of the PS5 than it was for the PS3.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Since the subject has shifted to PS3 hardware, last night, I looked up on YouTube “ how to program for the PS3” because I wanted to see someone explain it. So I come across this channel called MVG, modern vintage games or something. I’m somewhat familiar with him because he shows up on the SpawnCast podcast and I remember him talking about how the PS five would do the premium ps plus games backwards compatibility. I assumed he was an Xbox shill from his interactions on spawncast but on his own channel he seemed more balanced.
Anyways, what I’m getting at is I went back and watched his live reaction to the Mark Cerny PS five conference where he detailed specs to see mvgs reactions.

The thing that caught my interest was Cerny talking about the GPU and teraflops. He says something to the effect that they chose 36 CUs because all of them would be used, where as if you had more CUs (series x has 52) not all of them would be used at the same time and that makes it more complicated to pull data and would be a waste of silicon and money. Maybe that explains why we’re not seeing very many series xs in the wild anymore? Because the silicon is just too expensive to justify producing it in mass quantities? Or that it’s just badly engineered for what it’s supposed to do?

I remember at the time to talk about the SSD and the speed of the high frequency CUs being more beneficial than the number was looked at as spin from Sony because they didn’t have 12 TERAFLOPS OF POWER but in hindsight it looks like cerny wasn’t damage controlling but they knew exactly what they wanted and it worked.

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 417

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Since the subject has shifted to PS3 hardware, last night, I looked up on YouTube “ how to program for the PS3” because I wanted to see someone explain it. So I come across this channel called MVG, modern vintage games or something. I’m somewhat familiar with him because he shows up on the SpawnCast podcast and I remember him talking about how the PS five would do the premium ps plus games backwards compatibility. I assumed he was an Xbox shill from his interactions on spawncast but on his own channel he seemed more balanced.
Anyways, what I’m getting at is I went back and watched his live reaction to the Mark Cerny PS five conference where he detailed specs to see mvgs reactions.

The thing that caught my interest was Cerny talking about the GPU and teraflops. He says something to the effect that they chose 36 CUs because all of them would be used, where as if you had more CUs (series x has 52) not all of them would be used at the same time and that makes it more complicated to pull data and would be a waste of silicon and money. Maybe that explains why we’re not seeing very many series xs in the wild anymore? Because the silicon is just too expensive to justify producing it in mass quantities? Or that it’s just badly engineered for what it’s supposed to do?

I remember at the time to talk about the SSD and the speed of the high frequency CUs being more beneficial than the number was looked at as spin from Sony because they didn’t have 12 TERAFLOPS OF POWER but in hindsight it looks like cerny wasn’t damage controlling but they knew exactly what they wanted and it worked.
Never question Mark Cerny's genius when it comes to that kind of thing.

The guy is on a whole different level when it comes to system architecture. One insane example is that the PS4, and I believe the PS5 too, can actually write data to a memory register AND read it on the same clock cycle, due to managing the priority levels of different subsystems. That is something that wasn't thought to be possible on a practical level for a very long time, and takes extreme precision and insight in design of a system to even attempt, but he not only made it work, he made it work on a mass-market piece of electronics. The man just doesn't look at things the way anyone else does, and he just seems to have a gift for finding solutions that others wouldn't be able to see.

And he is absolutely right about over-speccing a chip for the rest of a system possibly causing bottlenecks and creating inefficiencies. It is one of the reasons the N64 was such a pile of shit. They put a state-of-the-art 64 bit CPU on a 32-bit bus, so it took 2 clock cycles to feed all the registers. It's an extreme example, but it does illustrate the principle.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

My limited knowledge of hardware design (very limited) only allows me to speculate, but I believe the reason as to why Cerny went with the smaller APU is related to thermal and power envelopes, and the desire to clock it faster. I suspect that due to the constraints of a console APU, having fewer compute units would allow for a faster clock rate within the same budget. The faster clocks help overall tasks do be performed faster (duh) as long as occupancy remains high.

Talking about occupancy and even memory, there are fundamental design differences between the PS5 and the Series X, architecture wise. The sentence "narrow and fast" and "wide and slow" are applicable here.

The PS5 GPU is as follows
  • 2 Shader Engines with 2 Shader Arrays each
  • Each Shader array has 10CU
  • 4MB L2 cache, which I believe is split in half between shader engines
  • 2 pairs of CUs are disabled for yields for a total of 36 active CUs
The Xbox Series X however is as follows
  • Each Shader Array has 14CU
  • 5MB of L2 cache with the same conditions as the PS5
  • 2 pairs of CUs are disabled for yields, for a total of 52 active CUs
On a first look the Xbox seems to have the advantage, however when you look deeper into the subject, you can tell that their wide approach (more compute units per shader array), as well as the smaller amount of L2 per CU (0.111MB/CU on the PS5 vs 0.096MB/CU on the Series X), and couple it with the slower clock, may prove to be a disadvantage.

E95XigIX0AUKfp5

RDNA2 cards kept with the 20 CU per Shader Engine scheme, or 10 per array, so even AMD privileges the more narrow design (here's the floor plan for the Navi21)

Em5K-LUXIAIj97q

The same is applicable to RDNA3 cards, keeping under the 20 CU per Engine / 10 per array

ovVKK9wGfQBnUco9VRTLyb.jpg

The thing is, people should have never expected the PS5 to win resolution battles. I said this plenty of times, but the raw "grunt" of the Series X should allow it to produce higher resolutions with less "side-effects" when compared to the PS5. The strengths of the later are shown on efficiency: you often have games that perform better / more stable on the PS5, and with a small resolution decrease. Of course engines will prefer different things, so your results may vary, but this is the case more often than not. Additionally, when looking at architectural differences, I believe the Series X cannot achieve those extra frames it sometimes drops simply by targeting resolution, meaning it has an occupancy issue somewhere.

Overall the PS5, from an hardware standpoint, is a better optimised console overall IMO. Additionally, I must add that the "variable clocks" shenanigans was very poorly explained and something people still fail to understand. It was never about "underclocking" the machine, but rather to use a variable power envelope as opposed to a fixed one. A practical example as to why this is, in theory at least, better.

Console A has a fixed power envelope of 200W, with 120W dedicated to the GPU and 80W dedicated to the CPU. Console B has the same fixed power envelope, however it can starve the CPU or GPU of power if the other needs it. The more "math" you run, the more power you need, so ideally you want to have as many transistors firing as possible at once (you never reach 100%, which is your theoretical TFLOP measure). So, how does it happen. When constructing a frame, systems can parallelise their math between CPU and GPU when constructing a frame (long were the times were this was not possible).

Now, if your target is 16ms for a smooth 60 fps, you need both to complete their task under that time, at the same time. Let's now imagine your CPU can construct a frame in 6ms, but your GPU, due to lack of occupancy or power, can only complete said frame in 18ms? You're already below target, and are wasting precious CPU cycles simply waiting for the GPU. When coding for console A, you will either have to reduce the load on GPU, or assume slower performance. On Console B, if the issue is related to power, you can simply direct most of the power from your CPU (which has completed its task) to the GPU (to ensure it constructs the frame in time). These things happens several times per millisecond, and can happen interchangeably.

So, you not only have a console that runs at a higher clockspeed, has more L2 memory per CU and can fill them more easily with work (due to the smaller chain), but you also have a system that intelligently diverts power to where its needed to prevent stalls (assuming your problem is power budget of course).

Apologies for the rant.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think another thing that gets lost in the conversation with cus and teraflops and resolutions is, ps5 is the lead platform for almost all third party games so even if the series x did live up to its hype, the ps5 would’ve been better optimized just due to market share presence.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
My limited knowledge of hardware design (very limited) only allows me to speculate, but I believe the reason as to why Cerny went with the smaller APU is related to thermal and power envelopes, and the desire to clock it faster. I suspect that due to the constraints of a console APU, having fewer compute units would allow for a faster clock rate within the same budget. The faster clocks help overall tasks do be performed faster (duh) as long as occupancy remains high.

Talking about occupancy and even memory, there are fundamental design differences between the PS5 and the Series X, architecture wise. The sentence "narrow and fast" and "wide and slow" are applicable here.

On a first look the Xbox seems to have the advantage, however when you look deeper into the subject, you can tell that their wide approach (more compute units per shader array), as well as the smaller amount of L2 per CU (0.111MB/CU on the PS5 vs 0.096MB/CU on the Series X), and couple it with the slower clock, may prove to be a disadvantage.

E95XigIX0AUKfp5

RDNA2 cards kept with the 20 CU per Shader Engine scheme, or 10 per array, so even AMD privileges the more narrow design (here's the floor plan for the Navi21)

Em5K-LUXIAIj97q

The same is applicable to RDNA3 cards, keeping under the 20 CU per Engine / 10 per array

The thing is, people should have never expected the PS5 to win resolution battles. I said this plenty of times, but the raw "grunt" of the Series X should allow it to produce higher resolutions with less "side-effects" when compared to the PS5. The strengths of the later are shown on efficiency: you often have games that perform better / more stable on the PS5, and with a small resolution decrease. Of course engines will prefer different things, so your results may vary, but this is the case more often than not. Additionally, when looking at architectural differences, I believe the Series X cannot achieve those extra frames it sometimes drops simply by targeting resolution, meaning it has an occupancy issue somewhere.

Overall the PS5, from an hardware standpoint, is a better optimised console overall IMO. Additionally, I must add that the "variable clocks" shenanigans was very poorly explained and something people still fail to understand. It was never about "underclocking" the machine, but rather to use a variable power envelope as opposed to a fixed one. A practical example as to why this is, in theory at least, better.

Console A has a fixed power envelope of 200W, with 120W dedicated to the GPU and 80W dedicated to the CPU. Console B has the same fixed power envelope, however it can starve the CPU or GPU of power if the other needs it. The more "math" you run, the more power you need, so ideally you want to have as many transistors firing as possible at once (you never reach 100%, which is your theoretical TFLOP measure). So, how does it happen. When constructing a frame, systems can parallelise their math between CPU and GPU when constructing a frame (long were the times were this was not possible).

Now, if your target is 16ms for a smooth 60 fps, you need both to complete their task under that time, at the same time. Let's now imagine your CPU can construct a frame in 6ms, but your GPU, due to lack of occupancy or power, can only complete said frame in 18ms? You're already below target, and are wasting precious CPU cycles simply waiting for the GPU. When coding for console A, you will either have to reduce the load on GPU, or assume slower performance. On Console B, if the issue is related to power, you can simply direct most of the power from your CPU (which has completed its task) to the GPU (to ensure it constructs the frame in time). These things happens several times per millisecond, and can happen interchangeably.

So, you not only have a console that runs at a higher clockspeed, has more L2 memory per CU and can fill them more easily with work (due to the smaller chain), but you also have a system that intelligently diverts power to where its needed to prevent stalls (assuming your problem is power budget of course).

Apologies for the rant.
Another factor in Series X performance issues is that, despite having more CUs, it doesn’t have a commensurately larger L2 cache, so there can, and probably are, times where CUs are essentially stuck waiting to offload to the cache for a cycle or two, which can lead to various kinds of hiccups, and each hiccup can have a cascade effect through the rest of the system as other processes are knocked back by waiting for data.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Making it smaller has to do with wafer yields and cost per die. Clocking it higher means more difficulty cooling because you have a higher concentration of thermals, which is why they went with liquid metal. the PS5 die is 16% smaller than the series X die. If you plug in the numbers based on TSMC's publicly stated 0.09 defects/mm^2 on 7nm, 3mm edge loss, 0.2mm scribe lanes, a wafer would produce ~195 ps5 dies and ~160 series x dies. now ofc the tapeout for the series wafers is allegedly 3 series s dies per series x dies so the xbox production would be a bit more efficient than that, but on a per wafer cost of $10,000 per 7nm wafer, a ps5 die comes out at around $51 and a series x die comes out at around $62. Then you have a node shrink for ps5s going onto 6nm production... based on rough estimates after a node shrink the ps5 die size went down ~13% which yields 218 ps5 dies per wafer, bringing the cost per ps5 die down to $45-46. That's the kind of efficiency you need if you don't want to take a $100-200 loss on every console.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I suspect tomorrow in the court room Microsoft will have a stunt or two up their sleeve. “Of course we’ll make cod multiplatform indefinitely” or “of course we will let you have access to cod on your cloud” to nvidia.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I suspect tomorrow in the court room Microsoft will have a stunt or two up their sleeve. “Of course we’ll make cod multiplatform indefinitely” or “of course we will let you have access to cod on your cloud” to nvidia.
Too bad none of that will help, as behavioural remedies have already been written off by the CMA.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I've seen people who view this as Microsoft’s chance to verbally lay into everyone protesting the deal in person and trigger a domino effect that leads to the deal being passed with minimal concessions, though that feels like wishful thinking to me.

I'm also curious if anyone knows if whether or not this subpoena situation will end up being as big of an ace in the hole for MS as some believe it will be. They think that Sony have been cheating against MS/using 3rd party deals to target/kneecap Gamepass in a monopolistic way, and that MS should be allowed to have ABK in order to fight against this. To that end they think the subpoenaed documents MS are pestering Sony for will prove this. Also seems like wishful thinking to me, but I wanted other opinions. Could Sony be asking for extensions to stall until the deal potentially fizzles out overseas or do they just need more time to redact info that MS may try to use against them?

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I've seen people who view this as Microsoft’s chance to verbally lay into everyone protesting the deal in person and trigger a domino effect that leads to the deal being passed with minimal concessions, though that feels like wishful thinking to me.

I'm also curious if anyone knows if whether or not this subpoena situation will end up being as big of an ace in the hole for MS as some believe it will be. They think that Sony have been cheating against MS/using 3rd party deals to target/kneecap Gamepass in a monopolistic way, and that MS should be allowed to have ABK in order to fight against this. To that end they think the subpoenaed documents MS are pestering Sony for will prove this. Also seems like wishful thinking to me, but I wanted other opinions. Could Sony be asking for extensions to stall until the deal potentially fizzles out overseas or do they just need more time to redact info that MS may try to use against them?
With the mass of documents MS requested, an extension just to make sure they had everything together and appropriately reviewed and redacted where necessary seems totally in order.

That said, I doubt they’d be too upset if the other jurisdictions kill the deal before they have to hand anything over.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
With the mass of documents MS requested, an extension just to make sure they had everything together and appropriately reviewed and redacted where necessary seems totally in order.

That said, I doubt they’d be too upset if the other jurisdictions kill the deal before they have to hand anything over.
Given the time frame of how late in the year this deal is supposed to go to court with the ftc, there's the risk of it being killed overseas before these documents even matter. I'm just curious as to why resetera are putting so much hope into this being a secret weapon for MS.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

E95XigIX0AUKfp5

Em5K-LUXIAIj97q

Apologies for the rant.
I ran google English translate through this and I still don't understand what you are trying to say.

God damn Technical stuff.

bbc one fish GIF by BBC

• haha
Reactions: EN250 and Zeroing

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
They could also own a vertical monopoly. In a scenario where cloud gaming takes over as the main way to access games like streaming is for movies you could see MS already owning

1. The servers necessary to power streaming. Giving them the power to decide what hardware is used to stream games.

2. The largest collection of developers including two of the most popular IPs on the planet, Minecraft and COD. This will make them not only the biggest publisher but the biggest employer in the industry

3. The largest consumer facing distribution network with Xcloud and Gamepass

The future MS envisions for themselves is leasing out Azure to Sony and Nintendo which run on Xbox or PC server racks and just change out button prompts for Sony or Nintendo who run their own smaller services and are at the whim of MS pricing. Oh and Sony/Nintendo needing to pay for licenses to access content like COD, Minecraft, and whatever massive publishers they sweep up if left unchecked

They can run Gamepass at a loss right now because they see themselves being paid in the long term for Azure access and content access while still running their own platform
Why the heck is this dude getting gifted an icon sub and not someone like Elder legend, FFS people get your priorities right people.

Hugs to you @Yobo 😍