Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
I got bored of following too closely

But wasn't this particular case just about not allowing Microsoft to close over the top of the FTC? Shouldn't the arguments just be related to why they have concerns to limit MS rushing ahead of the trials set

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
My feeling?
It's m$. They can do whatever they want. It's just a matter of time and money
You know that Square Enix rejected Microsoft two times? Early 2000s and 2020. They wanted to hostile takeover Sega in 2022 (around TGS) and it was blocked. There are things which can’t be bought by money, no matter how much cash they offer. Without being romantically, but Japanese corporations have different standards than American ones. Forget it, neither Square Enix nor Capcom will sell themselves to this scumbag company.

Last edited:

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
I don't believe it will be anywhere near that simple for MS to scoop up a bunch of Japanese publishers like that, especially not Square, but I agree that Sony need to make some moves behind the scenes while MS are busy integrating ABK.
Sony should have made a move when CMA dropped the console SLC. Consolidation will happen now. If they do nothing, then legacy games will be taken away from their platform. I don't have faith in Sony to do what's right.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Sony should have made a move when CMA dropped the console SLC. Consolidation will happen now. If they do nothing, then legacy games will be taken away from their platform. I don't have faith in Sony to do what's right.
Talks for Acquistions can take years. There is no situation where Sony announces a merger immediately after the 17th for example and it's silly to even expect that. Moves like that don't happen overnight.

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Talks for Acquistions can take years. There is no situation where Sony announces a merger immediately after the 17th for example and it's silly to even expect that. Moves like that don't happen overnight.
MS/ABK deal did not take years. It took about 6 months.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Let them make it into an American vs Japan thing.

Japanese are watching this.

Microsofts dream of getting Sega or another Japanese Publisher just gets flushed down the toilet.

Making it easier for Sony to acquire Japanese Publishers in the process.
Nah

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Incorrect, talks began at least a couple of years ago. Sony buying all this stuff to retaliate isn't some magic shit that can happen instantly and they're just not willing to do it. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment to expect a response this soon.
Talk began when ABK stock price took a hit. So it took 6 months. Bungie acquisition also took the same time.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
Should this deal go through, I can't imagine MS going after another billion dollar publisher any time soon. Every one else on the other hand.....

Reactions: Arminius

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Microsoft has been the worst thing to happen to gaming.. buy and destroy should be their mantra. Even bought and destroyed Halo from Bungie as the most recent example.. the fact these greasy rats still have cheerleaders is mind boggling.
To be fair you are right, what has Microsoft create. I can only think of is Forza.

Halo was Bungie child and after they got sicked of Microsoft for demand to milk it they just buy their freedom. 343 was built from ground up by MS themseleves for Halo but it bombs hard.

Gears of War was created by Epic and same fate as Halo.

Back in PS3 era Sony got only 2 IPs, not only they succeeded in elevate those IPs they create a bunch more. They didn't buy their way into success.

MS used to have some ground but they destroyed it all by their absolute incompetency and now they blame Sony?

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Incorrect, talks began at least a couple of years. Sony buying all this stuff to retaliate isn't some magic shit that can happen instantly and they're just not willing to do it. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment to expect a response this soon.
No, it started in November 19, 2021 and the deal was announced in Jan 2022. It literally took a couple of weeks. This is official info from the SEC.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke