Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Phil caught in yet another lie. If this deal was about mobile/cloud, they would have just bought Blizz/King. People will tell you CoD isn't important, but it definitely is. sony getting marketing with cod in 2015 was a big push on making playstation the standard console.

they chose the worst possible publisher to buy, but I must say ABK is a very tasteless company, so they kinda go hand in hand with MS.
They shot themselves in the foot by saying this was about mobile, now CMA says ok divest cod/activision and you can have your mobile. But we all know that was bullshit from day one, they got outplayed by the CMA.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
So what happens to this image?
images

Klobrille worked so hard.... he was up all night copy and pasting!

This is not a joke, this is his life!

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
Honestly, what makes you think the ABK shareholders will want to sacrifice CoD, knowing it's not only the company's golden goose but the only thing it makes?
Not in the slightest ... not surprising that people are only reading the first tweet of the chain and ignoring the rest since that conforms to their preferred narrative.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Honestly, what makes you think the ABK shareholders will want to sacrifice CoD, knowing it's not only the company's golden goose but the only thing it makes?

That's what the remedial discussions are for, CMA hasn't set anything in stone and all parties will now be allowed to remedy and offer concessions to pass it through.

We all knew this months ago.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
They shot themselves in the foot by saying this was about mobile, now CMA says ok divest cod/activision and you can have your mobile. But we all know that was bullshit from day one, they got outplayed by the CMA.
surely Microsoft has to go through with what the CMA is saying, if they know pull out of the deal for the mobile bit, that would be caught lying to a regulator?

There must be huge ramifications for that?

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
That's what the remedial discussions are for, CMA hasn't set anything in stone and all parties will now be allowed to remedy and offer concessions to pass it through.

We all knew this months ago.
Did we? i thought you guys were celebrating it like it was written in stone?

happy new year GIF by Kitsune Kowai

24 Jun 2022
People on resetera are moaning about there shares in Activision it's fucking laughable

Guess they're gonna go full mask off now.

I've read posts on other forums saying that because Playstation makes a lot more money than Xbox, then Microsoft buying ABK to improve the revenue stream of Xbox is fair...

...They say that without mentioning the elephant in the room of Microsoft's "infinite war chest". (which is a meme xbots use to explain why xbox will always win because they can dip into Microsoft's war chest)

Of course they did. They constantly, conveniently forget things pertaining to Microsoft's resources when the argument requires it. Suddenly the warchest is empty. Suddenly they aren't pulling in ~ $70 billion a year in net profits. Suddenly they're the size of a mom & pop shop.

I get it from the perspective of improving Xbox's revenue stream so that the division can get by on its own weight but...this isn't what that actually does. The division providing a product, software & services that appeal enough to the majority of the customer market to win over their dollars is the actual way you're supposed to grow the revenue and make the division self-sufficient, not buying publishers and simply assimilating their revenue to your gaming sector's to provide an (artificial) boost.

Which MS have already done with Minecraft/Mojang (not sure if they were a publisher at the time but I believe so), and did again with Zenimax. And in the case of ABK, it's not Xbox's money enabling the purchase, but money from other parts of the company that have been much more successful.

I knew there was a reason Kotick and Nadella were making the PR rounds on TV yesterday.

Basically CMA called their bluff on COD not being important to them.

MS can either sell off COD/Activision or they can let the deal die. I'm not buying Phil and Nadella's PR bullshit that they only care about King and Candy Crush.

I think the main reason for this deal was to put COD in GamePass. With CMA effectively putting a halt to that, I think this deal is toast.

Awesome news for real gamers out there and bad news for shills of trillion dollar corporations.

The fact MS (and ABK lawyers) have made claims that Sony would be fine without COD (which may or may not be true), in order to gain favor for the acquisition, kind of betrays part of their intention in the deal in the first place, IMO. Why entertain the concept of Sony being OK without COD unless you were planning at some point to remove it from the platform and that ecosystem?

Good to see some people aren’t that deluled on ERAView attachment 446

Doctor Avatar helped open real dialog on ResetERA. Always good to see.

Though I can see valid points in both the 'dude' and 'Kyra' posts. The CMA have in fact left room for approving the deal but, behavioral remedies likely won't cut it since those basically fall into ESG territory and at least the FTC have already said they aren't interested in that type of stuff. I'd think the CMA and EC lean somewhere similar in that regard.

I know what divesting COD into its own entity would entail. Sounds like CMA are saying "COD and/or Activision", which I guess would mean a scenario MS can still keep COD but divests the rest of Activision? Which IMO MS would prob rather want to divest Activision because those IP collectively aren't worth what COD is, let alone COD & the Blizzard-King stuff, so I think Activision being divested would be like a slap on the wrist at most and not resolve the concerns the CMA are bringing up, hence why they would lean to a COD divestiture.

Curious about the mobile side, though. They divest COD (preferably as its own company, not selling it to another investor or publisher), but still have all the Blizzard & King IP, Battle.net, so on and so forth. It seems like MS wants to try pulling an Epic and not want to pay Apple, Google etc. a cut on MTX sales of mobile game content, and there's a huge part of that debate focused on if companies like Apple & Google actually need that model considering they don't subsidize their hardware. Except from what I've read, they don't have "massive" profit margins on the mainstream phone models. Decent profit margins, yes, but maybe by $100 - $150 or so, and most users get the phones through carriers who bake in the costs they buy the phones for in the data plans, that way the carriers make profit off the subscription contracts.

I don't even think using the fact Apple, Google etc. make profit off their phones, in order to invalidate their practice of taking a revenue cut from MTX sale & software sales on their storefronts, even works because in the console space Nintendo sell their hardware at a profit and enforce the same type of cut. And they produce Switches at mainstream volumes the same way Apple does iPhones (although Apple makes way more iPhones, obviously). The whole razor/razor blades thing is just one part of the traditional console business model, and there's never really been a hard-set rule in how to implement it. Sony found the best balance for it with the PS1 where in early years the hardware sold for a small loss but later on could be revised to be sold with some profit as install base grew and production costs came down, and the profits were made in the software. But it's about having smart management over the design and build of the hardware; companies like Sega didn't do that with the Saturn which is why they ended up bleeding a lot of money in subsidizing the hardware with price cuts to stay competitive.

Microsoft's problem is probably a combination of Sega's along with excessive spending on historical contracts for components in previous systems that left them at a disadvantage (Nvidia), costs associated with hardware flaws (RROD), lowered 1P sales and revenue, lowered 3P sales and revenue, and sunk costs into big acquisitions (Zenimax, what they're trying now with ABK) along with forced price cuts to try staying competitive eating into revenue (Series S holiday sales promos) all culminating into a situation where they feel the specific razor/razor blades model they've operated on for Xbox is a prerequisite for justifying a revenue cut off 3P software and MTX but if they do actually feel that way, they should probably reevaluate their own business model and see that even Nintendo & Sony have largely avoided that situation, and if they can have profit on their hardware while still justifying revenue cuts, companies like Apple & Google probably have good grounds to enforce similar, meaning I don't see a scenario where MS can appease Apple, Google and so forth and get big access on their mobile marketplaces without paying them a cut in revenue.

I mean Microsoft may be a much bigger company than Epic but they still have to play by the same rules when they're in someone else's house.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Pachter saying that CMA 'know they have a losing legal argument'..... the guy thinks that CMA have to answer to a court for their decision... he is such an ignorant clown.

He says the deal will close by May. Why does this guy have a job in the industry? LOL
Pachter has made a lot of bad predictions. Didn't he say that Playstation would be totally screwed this gen? Even if the deal goes through, there may be so many concessions made it may not even be worth the price of the deal anymore.

Last edited:
  • fire
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Sircaw and Bryank75