Microsoft’s gaming chief hints that Xbox could get PC stores like Epic Games one day

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK
Just make a PC box. Dual boot between Windows and Xbox. Flog it for £400 a pop and bosh, you're laughing.
Unfortunately selling boxes at a loss only works when the razor/blade model has you selling loads of blades afterwards. Selling all-you-can-shave blade subs didn't work. Selling a box with discrete components for the same price as an APU-based machine that was sold at a loss is not going to be remotely possible, it will have to be sold with Nintendo-levels of % profit. So it'd be in the region of 2x the sold-at-a-loss console equivalent price basically.

This sounds like Phil is in a fantasy world utopia that doesn't actually exist in reality. Jack of all trades, master of none. Seriously, even in a coma, I could run the Xbox brand better than Phil and the rest of the brain trust at Microsoft. SMFH!!
If he's proven anything over his career it's that he can fail upwards and reinvent himself and what he's all about at the drop of a hat in order to survive/stay relevant/convince those holding the purse strings to do his bidding. xbox was going to be the hub of the whole household, everything you did would go through xbox, your every spoken word, and they'd take a slice of all of that business and advertise on every inch of real estate along the way. This was no longer about an addressable market of 300 million console games, it was potentially as big as a billion. MS's eyes lit up and it kept them interested. Then when that didn't pan out with the next device floundering he told them he could build a Netflix-rivalling service for games for xbox, PC and beyond - subscriptions were the future of gaming, just like the rest of ms, and now it's the 2-3 billion gaming market that's addressable not a mere billion. MS's eyes lit up and it kept them interested. Now that's failing to materialise nothing short of an omnipotent xbox is planned - every mother fucking screen on earth is an xbox, every last digital store available on an xbox, xbox is a pc, pc is an xbox. Nearly 8 billion people walk this earth, how many of them have a screen of some form? When that doesn't work out, maybe Phil can get one last play in, and to top the 8 billion number have MS research the existence of extraterrestrial life and the potential in selling them a back-catalogue of xbox hits.

You know how crypto-scammers tease more and more out of their ignorant, greedy marks by placing larger and larger obstacles in their path that require more and more fees and waivers to finally reach that pot of gold? That's what he's done to MS over 2 decades.
This is Microsoft killing the console industry with no survivors. People warned of this years ago and here we are.
It's a great way to sign off such a wonderfully successful career - burn it all to the ground. Apt.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
I think Xbox will still always have exclusives or atleast as time goes on.. timed exclusives. Because they have a ton of studios. And I still think the Xbox store will exist since they console is a cheap access to 4k gaming, and includes a awesome subscription which is pretty good for consumers, having epic on that would also be kind of cool since consumers would have multiple choices, and have their current epic games playable on their xbox.
Microsoft already have their own PC store front for games and Game Pass, it has done nothing for them. Xbox simply cannot exist as a brand without their own hardware or PC store front. Anything else out of Phil's mouth is pure fantasy.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
A lot of people buy consoles because they're cheaper than building a pc with similar specs aswell as being much simpler to use & jist get straight into the games
Convenience is all that's keeping the console world afloat. Hardware is DLC (Pro/x) and MTX (periphals, vr, portal, elite controllers) at this point and pushing the price way up.
If it was as straightforward as you're making out there'd be no games on windows that wouldn't be on Xbox
Give it six months

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Like Epic? So that might include Steam?

I dont know what Phil is trying to do, putting something like Steam on Xbox would just further kill the gamesales for Xbox.

He really doesnt know what he is doing, Xbox is lucky they have a tolerate CEO and have billions othewise they would of been dead along time ago.

Xbox isnt gonna exist soon, or maybe just have a PC like console so Epic and Gamepass can be on there and be done with it

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Buying publishers and subscriptions didn't kill Playstation like he hoped so now he's starting the fight with regulators to open consoles and basically kill the whole business.

He will never give up on his lifelong dream of destroying Playstation.
Sounds about right

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
There's no growth in the market. So I will put more stores on my box to take money from my store.

This guy couldn't beat Sony in hardware, subs, exclusives, games, cross play,consolidations.

Now he wants to disrupt with more store angles. This man spends more time plotting on ways to break up PS dominance then actually delivering on the product he releases.

This guy is nasty. He spent 20+ years plotting to take money away from PS. Nobody is sharing their success with you. Giving you easy money. Retire this bum, nasty piece work.

Last edited:

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
You don't get it. Phil is a Visionary.

You said that to us and defended that position furiously.

I did say that and stood by it. I was wrong.

On second thought, thinking about it, Phil is a visionary.....for Sony and Nintendo. Sure as hell isn't for Microsoft in regards to Xbox anymore. This guy must have dementia or something because he's out of his fucking mind.

LoL at Xbox fanboys thinking Playstation games will appear on Xbox now.

What a masterstroke by Phil Spencer.

Excluding MLB The Show and Bungie game releases, I have never ever thought this at all. And if anything, once Sony takes over Bungie's board of directors, I see them cancelling the Xbox version of whatever game(s) they're working on. Their game(s) would have had to be already released on Xbox where in this scenario, it would just stay as is but unreleased, I don't see it happening. I'm not a fan of Bungie, never have been and never will be. I understood why Sony acquired them but never agreed with it as in my mind, it was a desperation move after Microsoft announced the intent to acquire ABK that simply wasn't needed whatsoever. With that said, unless the revenue/profit is really good for Sony which I highly doubt, I would try to sell them off if possible to recoup the cost or see if they wanted to buy their way out. If retained and Sony takes over their board of directors, then if it was me, I would cancel Marathon and go straight to Destiny 3 as a PlayStation 6 console exclusive.

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Isn't Karim the guy who went around asking ugly women about Eve from Stellar Blade? If so, fuck that guy!!

Also, Steam on Xbox isn't going to hurt Sony or PlayStation because people will realize, holy shit!! Steam is better than the console box im playing it on!! lmao

I never expected Sony to die or all of a sudden collapse or some shit but I did expect Microsoft and Phil Spencer especially after acquiring ABK to grow some fucking balls and actually compete as opposed to quitting like cowards three months later. SMH.

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
Putting Steam on Xbox will kill Xbox game sales when people realize that Steam is better all around.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
I hope Microsofts decisions don't affect the gaming industry for the rest of us.

Obviously for Playstation users the games that were going to release but MS acquired the companies.

But I hope further MTX and other revenue building things won't happen.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I never expected Sony to die or all of a sudden collapse or some shit but I did expect Microsoft and Phil Spencer especially after acquiring ABK to grow some fucking balls and actually compete as opposed to quitting like cowards three months later. SMH.
Yeah you were salivating at the thought of Sony getting choked by The Big Warchest but the truth is that Xbox, like all the other publishers, depend on Playstation to make money and survive. The only competition for them is who's going down faster.

Sony is the gaming industry.

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Yeah you were salivating at the thought of Sony getting choked by The Big Warchest but the truth is that Xbox, like all the other publishers, depend on Playstation to make money and survive. The only competition for them is who's going down faster.

Sony is the gaming industry.

I was hyped that Microsoft would finally competing at a high level and possibly be #1 in console gaming but I never wanted Sony to be gone or anything because I play their games so I wouldn't want that. It is fucking pathetic that a $3T dollar company in Microsoft needs Sony and PlayStation to make money and survive which let's be honest, they shouldn't need anyone due to how much money they have and are worth.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
At first, I thought this was BS but HipHopGamer spoke on this 2 months ago 😳 I still don't know how it'll be possible, but never doubt HHG

• Informative
Reactions: anonpuffs