Microsoft's internal documents recognize that adding games to Game Pass would lead to cannibalization of Buy-To-Play sales

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
I have no idea how Xbox fans put with with this crap so many years. I have given up on Xbox long time ago.

Not only over and over they have shown to be incompetent and untrustworthy, they do the bare minimum to please their fans, MS do not even try to bring new fans to xbox. No real competition on the market. Just lots of PR…

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I have no idea how Xbox fans put with with this crap so many years. I have given up on Xbox long time ago.

Not only over and over they have shown to be incompetent and untrustworthy, they do the bare minimum to please their fans, MS do not even try to bring new fans to xbox. No real competition on the market. Just lots of PR…
The way Microsoft runs things is like, well we have got so much money and don't know what to do with it, so Let's try this thing called gaming out.

Chucks a shed load of cash at it to see if it works, does not work, chucks more cash at it.

Throw Away Make It Rain GIF

Reactions: EN250

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The way Microsoft runs things is like, well we have got so much money and don't know what to do with it, so Let's try this thing called gaming out.

Chucks a shed load of cash at it to see if it works, does not work, chucks more cash at it.

As far as console gaming goes, that gravy train has permanently derailed.

Reactions: EN250
D

Deleted member 417

I'm right there with you. OG XBox was Dreamcast 2, and as a Sega fanboy it was a dream come true to see it. Then the xbox 360 released with the same whacky, crazy and risky games that the Og xbox and Dreamcast had and it was ace.

Then 2010, the slim and Kinect happened and it was game over. Even back then the shills refused to accept that Kinect would Kill Xbox and the Xbox One leaks (Durango) would be a massive miss-step and here we are.

Reactions: EN250 and Zeroing

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I'm right there with you. OG XBox was Dreamcast 2, and as a Sega fanboy it was a dream come true to see it. Then the xbox 360 released with the same whacky, crazy and risky games that the Og xbox and Dreamcast had and it was ace.

Then 2010, the slim and Kinect happened and it was game over. Even back then the shills refused to accept that Kinect would Kill Xbox and the Xbox One leaks (Durango) would be a massive miss-step and here we are.
And Phil was made head of Xbox Game Studios in 2008. Could there be a connection to the drop in software quality and his promotion? Hmmm....

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
And Phil was made head of Xbox Game Studios in 2008. Could there be a connection to the drop in software quality and his promotion? Hmmm....

Phil's issue was his career is all Management and enterprise. He was management to Microsoft Studios but never was a developer. You look at top Studio management over at Sony/Nintendo all of them have worked in the trenches.

Herman Hulst and Yoshida both have been on studio floors. Legend of dragoon Yoshida was a Producer on. Herman oversaw multiple titles ship so he knows budgets, deadlines ect.

Phil literally came into Microsoft as a intern and worked on enterprise software, then because there was no one to take the position moved to Microsoft studio Publishing, then to primary manager, then to overseer of xbox division, no CEO.

Guy has made nothing. So even though he loves games, loving games and making them are 2 separate things and unrelated to each other.

Phil is nice, but honestly he sucks.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022

One of the problems of Xbox division was doing nothing as soon as MS trough they had the USA market, they have been running Xbox division as we gamers were really stupid and easily manipulated.

Now that gaming is more important than ever ( money and brand wise) they all of the sudden waken up and realized they wasted years doing nothing! A company that has more than 20 years on the market and still cannot have a good output shows how lack of experience they have.
Nintendo and Sony would be broke by now if they run things like MS.

Let’s not even discuss the brand perception outside USA, In most of Europe for example, Xbox is a laughable brand. Like I said before, how is Xbox still around is the way how MS was able to manipulate their fanbase.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Phil's issue was his career is all Management and enterprise. He was management to Microsoft Studios but never was a developer. You look at top Studio management over at Sony/Nintendo all of them have worked in the trenches.

Herman Hulst and Yoshida both have been on studio floors. Legend of dragoon Yoshida was a Producer on. Herman oversaw multiple titles ship so he knows budgets, deadlines ect.

Phil literally came into Microsoft as a intern and worked on enterprise software, then because there was no one to take the position moved to Microsoft studio Publishing, then to primary manager, then to overseer of xbox division, no CEO.

Guy has made nothing. So even though he loves games, loving games and making them are 2 separate things and unrelated to each other.

Phil is nice, but honestly he sucks.
Shu was a coder on Hook for SNES, if I recall correctly.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
You Dont Say GIF

It's funny to read elsewhere from people, who initially believed Phil's BS regarding "GP increases sales of games", stuff like "it's obvious this is the case" or still try to defend Phil's words with theories like "he meant more DLC/MTX".

If flip-flopping was an Olympic discipline, Team Green would win gold medals in masses.
When ppl are so obsessively invested they'll believe anything. The same way they believed the cloud would give Xbox xxxxs the compute power and also that Microsoft was innocent in the rrrod fiasco. I gave up with them a longggg time ago.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I remember making these points on gamepass threads and thinking it was an obvious deduction, but from the time Phil came in and said "games are selling better with gamepass subs", so many fans took it as gospel, yet every statistic shows Sony was leading XBOX in the 70:30 ratio 80:20 and in quite a few cases 90:10 on some multiplat games.

Everything MS has said about GP has been a lie, from the number of subs, to GP's engagement numbers, all of it are not accurate and they've expanded those numbers through shady engagement metrics. Another thing they lied on was that gamepass is profitable, there is just no way GP is seeing green. It's current numbers are due only to the infamous dollar subs, then couple that with sub sharing and the number of active GP subs and of course it's profitability is even more dire.

Desperate times also calls for desperate measures, if GP was doing so well, there would certainly be no need for the desperate marketing machine we saw in the last two years, using American Journalists and Ambassadors to slowly infiltrate our minds and sometimes even overwhelm with messaging like "The best Deal in Gaming", "A Game Changer".........That was desperation beyond compare, especially when you are already at $1 subs.....The proof was always in the pudding, but some people just love the lies instead....
Everyone except die hard Xbox fans said the sane thing. Then when we'd post that it'll cannabalize ppl would get butthurt and start reporting ppl frivolously on gaf.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
i mean it's just been so log since xbox has had anything remotely decent that has even made me take a second look. the last decade for them is a wash in terms of game creation, and there's really no coming back from that. You don't get to just spend a decade in the gutter as a brand, and then all of a sudden start knocking it out of the park.

Xbox has an irrefutable and irredeemable stink to it, and gamers all know. There is no saving Xbox, barring some miracle.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Deleted member 417

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Mark Cerny created Marble Madness on the Mega Drive
He made the arcade version while working at Atari when he was 17 or 18. That was YEARS before the Mega Drive existed. He went to work for SEGA when they were developing the SG-1000 Mark III, which was the Japanese equivalent of the Master System, and he came up with the implementation of LCD shutters used in the SEGAvision 3-D glasses for that system.

He is a legit supergenius.

D

Deleted member 417

He made the arcade version while working at Atari when he was 17 or 18. That was YEARS before the Mega Drive existed. He went to work for SEGA when they were developing the SG-1000 Mark III, which was the Japanese equivalent of the Master System, and he came up with the implementation of LCD shutters used in the SEGAvision 3-D glasses for that system.

He is a legit supergenius.
Thanks for the clarification

And yeah, the dude is from outer space or something. His work on the PS4, Pro and PS5 have been nothing short of amazing. The tech in the PS5 and how it works is next level shit. I'm convinced the 'secret sauce' of this gen is going to be VR2. Cerny has worked some crazy magic with how the headset and PS5 work together

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
i mean it's just been so log since xbox has had anything remotely decent that has even made me take a second look. the last decade for them is a wash in terms of game creation, and there's really no coming back from that. You don't get to just spend a decade in the gutter as a brand, and then all of a sudden start knocking it out of the park.

Xbox has an irrefutable and irredeemable stink to it, and gamers all know. There is no saving Xbox, barring some miracle.
Consider the fact that the annual Forza/Horizon releases are 90% made possible by importing Bing Maps telemetry and buying the car models from sweatshops in India, and it's a VERY bleak picture regarding XBGS' development pipelines.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Thanks for the clarification

And yeah, the dude is from outer space or something. His work on the PS4, Pro and PS5 have been nothing short of amazing. The tech in the PS5 and how it works is next level shit. I'm convinced the 'secret sauce' of this gen is going to be VR2. Cerny has worked some crazy magic with how the headset and PS5 work together
The PS4 had asynchronous RAM. You could write to a register AND read from it on the same clock cycle. That is practically black magic, and the technique for it is a Cerny patent.

I even read an interview with Dr. Richard Marks, the head of VR for Sony for a LONG time, and even he basically said Cerny did more to advance VR in a couple of years than the rest of the world had done in a decade, simply because his mind doesn't work the same way as most. It's like he has a preternatural instinct for technology.