Moore's Law is Dead teasing a potential PS Vita successor

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Also note, they also think the Series X Elite is dead in the water!

This much has been true for a while.
Microsoft's plans for their xbox refresh have leaked last year and there's no performance upgrade. If it releases it's just a trash-bin shaped Series X without optical disc support.

Xbox sales have tanked pretty hard so there's no incentive in investing on new hardware. People will rather buy PCs instead.

OP
OP
Kenpachi The Great
10 Jan 2024
This much has been true for a while.
Microsoft's plans for their xbox refresh have leaked last year and there's no performance upgrade. If it releases it's just a trash-bin shaped Series X without optical disc support.

Xbox sales have tanked pretty hard so there's no incentive in investing on new hardware. People will rather buy PCs instead.
I know its rumored the mid gen refresh is dead, I just like the closure because this year the power narrative will be completely one sided.

There is a bit of me that would like to see Xbox release an elite console just to see the carnage of watching them fumble supporting 3 SKU's and then killing off 2/3 of there player base when they have to drop the series S and admit it was a mistake but that's just me being petty.

• Heart
Reactions: The Icon

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I know its rumored the mid gen refresh is dead, I just like the closure because this year the power narrative will be completely one sided.

There is a bit of me that would like to see Xbox release an elite console just to see the carnage of watching them fumble supporting 3 SKU's and then killing off 2/3 of there player base when they have to drop the series S and admit it was a mistake but that's just me being petty.

Truth be told, the Series S backed them into a corner.
They demanded feature parity on much slower hardware with less RAM from the start, they probably alienated developers with that process and then the console sales fell hard because of over 3 years with almost no worthwhile exclusive titles.

Xbox has a terrible management problem. It's a shame how Phil Spencer keeps failing upwards.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
You know how I feel about this. Im all for it if they do it smart and make one ecosystem for PS6.
Plus PSP3 would be a waay better name than Vita 2 btw. PSP sold 80million units, PS Vita was Sony’s worse selling playstation, lets not go back to it.

Hopefully they leave it till PS6 and make the PSP3 a Switch/Steam deck like machine that can play PS6 games downscaled.
Otherwise no point. PS studios can barely make enough games for PS5 and PSVR2 let alone make separate games for another machine.

Issues that wont be there that they had with the Vita if they make it one ecosystem:

-4 shoulder buttons. Since switch, most portables have 4 shoulder buttons. Vita couldnt port alot of games because it only had 2 shoulder buttons.

-No proprietary memory card. Use SD cards. They didnt do proprietary external harddrives for PS4 and PS5 unlike Xbox so I think they learnt there lesson

-One ecosystem of games like Switch/ Steamdeck. So there wont be lack of games and wont spread the PS studios thin even more. Heck they can barely make enough games now. Having to make separate games for a PSP3 is not an option.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I assume that once they have PS cloud gaming Android client, maybe in a year or two from now, they'll release it for PS Portal, and will release there their mobile games to be playable natively too. Around that time Sony would release their own PC PSN store and PC launcher.

Then for the next gen, maybe 2-3 years after the PS6 release Sony could release their own PC handheld if prices go down, which would be the next gen PS Portal, which would run their PC games (cross-buy/cross-play/cross-save with the ones bought in their PC PSN store), their mobile games (cross-buy/cross-play/cross-save with the ones downloaded from their upcoming PSN mobile store) via Android emulation and would have hardware more optimized for remote play and cloud gaming.

Imagine a PS Portal shaped Steamdeck with a decent (for portable console standards, max $349) capable to run all Sony current and future PC games natively at 1080p 60fps with decent settings, which with some next gen DLSS/FSR like upscaling method would be scaled to 4K (it would have tv out and an OLED 4K HDR display). It would have the latest wifi tech available at the time and maybe even an optional 5G card.

Its raw horsepower would be somewhere between PS4 Pro and PS5 but thanks to next gen RT and RTGI plus supersampling and smaller screen would look almost like a portable PS5. Which will be fine because most next gen games will be crossgen between PS5 and PS6.

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Kokoloko

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
MLiD has been getting more accurate with his leaks particularly in the last year or two but I'm not sure I believe this.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I don't think this is happening but I do think it is interesting the code name for the PS Portal was Project Q lite.
Could a project Q be an actual handheld piece of hardware? But honestly this is probably just Sony doing R&D for things that they might have to pivot to in the future. I do remember in early 2020 around the PS5 March 2020 spec talk with Mark Cerny Moore did talk about how he heard Metal Gear was due for a revival and it is happening now!

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
- OLED screen.
- PSP/PS1/PS2/PSVita/PS4 retro.
- Native games (ported from PS5) on a case by case basis.
- Around Series S level of power in the hopes of getting more third party support (that should be about half the power of a Rog Ally if they take care of the bottlenecks)

Last edited:

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Hopefully it's true, but I can't see it.

Why release a dedicated handheld, after releasing the portal, which is a glorified pad with a screen?

Why not just launch a handheld that can do remote play and save the messing about?

Reactions: ksdixon

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Don't call it vita (the cursed name) 2 LMFAO 🤣🤣🤣.

Normally, I will call this bullshit. But after seeing the rise of Steam Deck and other portable PCs (with their suck-ass battery life 🤣), and Sony Playstation brand status is at high enough already to attempt this sort of moves, I can see the new portable being Steam Deck-like running digital PS4-PS5 library only (and once again with suck-ass battery life 🤣).

But still bullshit though 🤣. PS6 low power - series s - equivalent hardware at portable LOL give me a break 🤣🤣🤣.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Don't call it vita (the cursed name) 2 LMFAO 🤣🤣🤣.

Normally, I will call this bullshit. But after seeing the rise of Steam Deck and other portable PCs (with their suck-ass battery life 🤣), and Sony Playstation brand status is at high enough already to attempt this sort of moves, I can see the new portable being Steam Deck-like running digital PS4-PS5 library only (and once again with suck-ass battery life 🤣).

But still bullshit though 🤣. PS6 low power - series s - equivalent hardware at portable LOL give me a break 🤣🤣🤣.

Steam Deck sold like 2 million total, not exactly a big seller

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: xollowsob