Moore's Law is Dead teasing a potential PS Vita successor

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I assume that once they have PS cloud gaming Android client, maybe in a year or two from now, they'll release it for PS Portal, and will release there their mobile games to be playable natively too. Around that time Sony would release their own PC PSN store and PC launcher.

Then for the next gen, maybe 2-3 years after the PS6 release Sony could release their own PC handheld if prices go down, which would be the next gen PS Portal, which would run their PC games (cross-buy/cross-play/cross-save with the ones bought in their PC PSN store), their mobile games (cross-buy/cross-play/cross-save with the ones downloaded from their upcoming PSN mobile store) via Android emulation and would have hardware more optimized for remote play and cloud gaming.

Imagine a PS Portal shaped Steamdeck with a decent (for portable console standards, max $349) capable to run all Sony current and future PC games natively at 1080p 60fps with decent settings, which with some next gen DLSS/FSR like upscaling method would be scaled to 4K (it would have tv out and an OLED 4K HDR display). It would have the latest wifi tech available at the time and maybe even an optional 5G card.

Its raw horsepower would be somewhere between PS4 Pro and PS5 but thanks to next gen RT and RTGI plus supersampling and smaller screen would look almost like a portable PS5. Which will be fine because most next gen games will be crossgen between PS5 and PS6.
Won't happen because Sony can more easily just bring their games to Steam which would be cheap and low risk.

24 Jun 2022
Won't happen because Sony can more easily just bring their games to Steam which would be cheap and low risk.

Which is value-destructive to their console ecosystem and retaining the majority of their customers in a platform loop they can exercise control over (hardware production logistics, software optimization, marketing presence, etc.).

But you're a Steam fanboy, of course you're against anything that might threaten your precious little platform of choice.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I'm not sure I'd be interested in this. I loved both the PSP and the Vita but that was hardware with its own exclusive software. Buying a "handheld" just to play PS4 games? Not really for me.

But, I;d love for this to be true. It'd mean Sony hasn't given up on handheld consoles. And with all other companies doing hardware, it'd be smart not to get left behind.

Now, if this thing was fully bc with PS1 and 2 titles? Huge thing.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I don't get what this would have to do with PS6, if it was getting downgraded versions of some PS5 games I would be more than happy.

A portable that runs game natively is drastically more interesting that something like the PlayStation Portal.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Call it the "Playstation Go" PSGO would be a very marketable name
Yo, I'm down for this naming.

This doesn't shackle it to a particular hardware in name, like PS4/5 Portable, and the name isn't something esoteric like Vita or Portal. It's just "PS on the Go".

Reactions: Box

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Which is value-destructive to their console ecosystem and retaining the majority of their customers in a platform loop they can exercise control over (hardware production logistics, software optimization, marketing presence, etc.).

But you're a Steam fanboy, of course you're against anything that might threaten your precious little platform of choice.
This is uncalled for hostility, jeopardizing the nice freewheeling little culture we got going here.

It's not value destructive, it's an easy source of revenue growth. I have a dozen Sony exec quotes to this effect who know way more than you or I about it.

As somebody who bought a Vita on day 1 (still own it), I had a front row seat to the train wreck. The era of dedicated handhelds is over. Dividing development between console and handheld is unworkable. Playstation is already unable to adequately support PSVR2. Adding a 3rd platform to the mix would be a disaster.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
This is uncalled for hostility, jeopardizing the nice freewheeling little culture we got going here.

It's not value destructive, it's an easy source of revenue growth. I have a dozen Sony exec quotes to this effect who know way more than you or I about it.

As somebody who bought a Vita on day 1 (still own it), I had a front row seat to the train wreck. The era of dedicated handhelds is over. Dividing development between console and handheld is unworkable. Playstation is already unable to adequately support PSVR2. Adding a 3rd platform to the mix would be a disaster.
No one is asking for a PS handheld with its own library.

Bringing this talking point back around is deliberately obtuse.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
If only Sony had released a PS5 + PS portable combo, with the portable able to play PS4 titles + stream PS5 titles

Reactions: Umar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Bullshit, to open a PC section in their already existing PSN store website to don't pay Valve a 30% of the hundreds of millions of dollars they'll make every year in PC is way cheaper.

PS Portal has been sold out, meaning it's selling beyond their expectations. And Sony nowadays likes to release a shit ton of accesories to make extra reveune. So super likely they'll make a PS Portal 2 for the next gen (2-3 years after PS6 release, so let's say 2030).

In terms of tech the only thing they need is to put there a low end AMD APU instead of the low end ARM one that the first PS Portal has. The lowest end AMD APU available in 2030 will be more powerful, and way cheaper than the current Steamdeck. In Steamdeck games already look like a Series S.

So with extra DLSS-like tech they'll develop from now until then, even if the hardware is like the Steamdeck games will look and perform way better there (and in Steamdeck) as they look and perform today. Pretty likely almost like a PS5.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022

It was in jest ;)

Quotes that were made at the time they decided to pursue that strategy, without the actual market data they have today. Some of those execs are not even at SIE anymore. Also, execs will say what needs to be said in order to justify a strategy, even one that might be known to have numerous points of failure, if it aligns from elsewhere in the corporate structure or they do not want to admit the strategy might've been flawed.

Don't forget about the stuff Don Mattrick and others at Xbox early last decade tried justifying was the right thing to do, at the time they decided to do them, only for actual results to slap them in the face time later.

A new PS handheld would be nothing like a Vita or PSP because it wouldn't be a dedicated device with its own library of games. How is this part being missed by people? It would be to PlayStation consoles, what the Steam Deck is to PC; a means of natively playing most PlayStation games on the go, and/or doing local Remote Play & cloud streaming of games left up to the developer's discretion.

It would be more like an extended peripheral, not its own platform, so your worries in that regard are largely mitigated right off the bat.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
A new PS handheld would be nothing like a Vita or PSP because it wouldn't be a dedicated device with its own library of games. How is this part being missed by people? It would be to PlayStation consoles, what the Steam Deck is to PC; a means of natively playing most PlayStation games on the go, and/or doing local Remote Play & cloud streaming of games left up to the developer's discretion.

It would be more like an extended peripheral, not its own platform, so your worries in that regard are largely mitigated right off the bat.
Exactly. No point making a PS4 portable or a PS handheld that has its own library in this day and age. It would have to be like Steamdeck.
Same ecosystem as PS5/PS6 etc Nintendo did the smart thing for themselves.

People saying they cant go back and downscale games. 3rd party games get ported all the time to multiple platforms.
Sony just has to put the work in for BC titles for there 1st party.
Which would probably cost less than making dedicated games easily

A PSP3 would also outsell the Steamdeck in a year, PSP sold 80milion. Vita sold 15-16 million and that was its worse selling Playstation unit.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I think something that is missing here in the discussion about there not being a dedicated library is that people can still make "handheld" oriented PlayStation games with lower budget that just happen to work on PlayStation consoles too.

How many PSP games ended up getting ported to PS2 in order to improve their margins? You had a game like Gravity Rush which was released on PS Vita and almost 4 years later get a PS4 remaster.

A PlayStation handheld might allow for A and AA games to thrive and could rescue the industry from falling into a spiral of pure AAA gaming.

As PlayStation becomes one platform across generations as alluded to in the thread about there no longer being hard resets, a handheld offering makes way more sense.

There will undoubtedly be PS6 exclusives that don't work on PS5 at some point particularly cross-gen PS7 games or games that make heavy use of next-gen AI, but going forward games will probably be released across two generations of consoles, maintaining a stronger userbase for game sales and handheld will further drive those margins.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
The solution for a PlayStation portable at this point is obvious to me.

Just copy what Valve is doing with the SteamDeck:
Linux/Proton
OLED
Haptics and adaptive triggers
Crossbuy
Sony own storefront
Backwards compatibly with PS4 games (could use a similar solution to what MS used for backwards compatibility instead of Sony approach that is more focused on the hardware).

• brain

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
The solution for a PlayStation portable at this point is obvious to me.

Just copy what Valve is doing with the SteamDeck:
Linux/Proton
OLED
Haptics and adaptive triggers
Crossbuy
Sony own storefront
Backwards compatibly with PS4 games (could use a similar solution to what MS used for backwards compatibility instead of Sony approach that is more focused on the hardware).

I don't think Sony will endorse crossbuy, but I could be wrong. I think if you do crossbuy, you have to sell the handheld at a serious premium.

At best I could see a crossbuy option for games where you pay 80 or 90 for a 70 dollar game to have crossbuy.

I don't think it creates the increase in software sales that you'd normally want.

I don't think it makes sense to make this a PC handheld either as that really limits the number of games available on the device.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I don't think Sony will endorse crossbuy, but I could be wrong. I think if you do crossbuy, you have to sell the handheld at a serious premium.

At best I could see a crossbuy option for games where you pay 80 or 90 for a 70 dollar game to have crossbuy.

I don't think it creates the increase in software sales that you'd normally want.

I don't think it makes sense to make this a PC handheld either as that really limits the number of games available on the device.
But they did it for the Vita? Crossbuy is their biggest advantage when it comes to portables and their only chance to be relevant.

In terms of hardware price they can follow the Steam Deck pricing model initially, $399 LCD and less storage, $549 OLED and more storage.

If they end up selling 15m of those during a gen it should be seen as a success already.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
But they did it for the Vita? Crossbuy is their biggest advantage when it comes to portables and their only chance to be relevant.

In terms of hardware price they can follow the Steam Deck pricing model initially, $399 LCD and less storage, $549 OLED and more storage.

If they end up selling 15m of those during a gen it should be seen as a success already.

The Vita wasn't as expensive and games were a lot cheaper to develop then.

Not sure how it could be claimed that is their only chance to be relevant. I think the goal of a PlayStation handheld would be to sell to people who like the PlayStation ecosystem, but want a portable experience, particularly in Japan.

That you're basing this around steamdecks limited sales compared to the PSP's nearly 80 million units says a lot here.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
The Vita wasn't as expensive and games were a lot cheaper to develop then.

Not sure how it could be claimed that is their only chance to be relevant. I think the goal of a PlayStation handheld would be to sell to people who like the PlayStation ecosystem, but want a portable experience, particularly in Japan.

That you're basing this around steamdecks limited sales compared to the PSP's nearly 80 million units says a lot here.
The entire point is to not develop any games just for the new portable. Just let it play PC ports and PS4 games.

The most idiotic thing Sony could do is try to release a console like the PSP, where they would have to make games specifically for it. That is not going to work at all, even Nintendo consolidated their development efforts into a single platform.

• they're_right_you_know