Naughty Dog confirms PC will be in their development pipeline going forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Easy on the name calling, There is no need.
martin lawrence GIF
The problem is that nobody calls him out on his BS enough. I mean, he talks about Steam Deck having a better CPU.... but doesn't seem to consider that PC games in general aren't as optimized for specific hardware as console games are... and then on top of that you have the fact that Steam Deck runs through a translation layer... on a completely different operating system and APIs than they were designed for... and then you have the POWER LIMIT... which he doesn't seem to think is important at all....

ect... ect... And I could explain that all to him.. and he would continue to handwave and say some stupid shit and say.. but it's more powerful...

That's why I just name call people like that for what they are.. They're not interested in hearing an explanation and stopping it there. They just want to keep arguing.

• fire
Reactions: Deleted member 51

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
The problem is that nobody calls him out on his BS enough. I mean, he talks about Steam Deck having a better CPU.... but doesn't seem to consider that PC games in general aren't as optimized for specific hardware as console games are... and then on top of that you have the fact that Steam Deck runs through a translation layer... on a completely different operating system and APIs than they were designed for... and then you have the POWER LIMIT... which he doesn't seem to think is important at all....

ect... ect... And I could explain that all to him.. and he would continue to handwave and say some stupid shit and say.. but it's more powerful...

That's why I just name call people like that for what they are.. They're not interested in hearing an explanation and stopping it there. They just want to keep arguing.

I understand you might get frustrated with another member from time to time and if that is the case there is a block option you can use (y):cool:
Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

Reactions: AniWeeb and Remij

BloodMod

Fear the Old Blood
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I mean yeah, that's true, but the vagueness in these statements towards the type of games leaves room for interpretation that they're also referring to non live-service/GaaS titles and that's kind of a different matter altogether if true.
Taking the PC port into account all the way throughout development is not the same as the release schedule.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
How would PC not be in their development pipeline? Sony already stated Gaas games would also be on PC day one, we all know this includes games such as The Last of Us Factions which will more than likely be a huge mp/gaas game. What am I missing with this news? This was confirmed over a month ago.
I mean yeah, that's true, but the vagueness in these statements towards the type of games leaves room for interpretation that they're also referring to non live-service/GaaS titles and that's kind of a different matter altogether if true.
There is no vagueness on their statements. Sony said their main development teams like ND will continue focused on PS only game. Some of their games -not all their future games- will be ported by other teams to PC where will be released years later than their original PS release, at least a year in the case of the SP/non-GaaS ones.

In the case of the GaaS, they said that some of them might even be released on PC even probably day one, but this doesn't mean all their GaaS will be released on PC and doesn't mean that all the ones released on PC will be released on PC day one.

Knowing that, it's fair to assume that future ND games will end sooner or later ported to PC, so makes sense to adapt their engine and pipeline to PC games. Their engine already has a PC base added by the porters with TLOUP1 and the Uncharted remakes, so it will be there for future projects. Probably added PC and mouse in addition to gamepad to make testing the game while developing faster, in case they didn't already had it before.

In fact, many of these things probably already had it since many years ago before they planned to start porting their stuff on PC, just for the sake of internal testing and allowing their devs test their stuff on their own PC instead of constantly needing to make new builds in the devkits/testkits in order to save a lot of time waiting for these new builds to test stuff. Nowadays with all the remote work is even more important, so testing their own stuff in their own PC without devkit required is more important.

This doesn't mean that ND will make the whole PC port or that they are considering to put all their games on PC, or to release them day one or soon. It means that now they consider PC as one very likely platform where they'll release their games so will integrate it on their pipeline. They'll do their games mainly for PS5 but will work on their gamedev PCs, which in AAA games typically means ultrapowerful monsters to run future high end games very unoptimized until the last periods of development and with a lot of debugging and profiling stuff running on top. As I remember that the original very first The Division 1 reveal trailer was recorded running on a PC with 24GB of RAM, which for the time was something really insane. I saw the extended unedited version of that gameplay video back then.

And later another team of PC porters will make the commercial PC versions: will further optimize stuff, add extra settings, implement the latest PC specific tech like DLSS and similar stuff, additional things like ultrawide screen and adapt the game to non 16:9 aspect ratios if needed (like 16:10 for SteamDeck), implement and cut stuff to scale it down as needed to make it run decently on PCs that are less powerful than the consoles (like SteamDeck), will fix many compatibility issues and PC specific bugs that may appear and a lot of other additional boring work more like adapting the trophies or implementing other Steam specific stuff required to release it as a commercial port that doesn't need to be done for the console release.

This additional work of the PC porters doesn't need to be done while they are developing the game. ND will do the PS5 version keeping in the game some base code to run it on PC, and in some games during development and in some other games year later the porters will do the rest of the work.

And even if when releasing the PS5 version in some cases they may have ready -or almost- a PC port, doesn't mean they'll release it when ready. Due to Sony's strategy they may decide to keep the PC port in the shelf during a few years before releasing it -or maybe even to don't release it- because they may want to sell as much units on PS and put it on PS+ before relesing it on PC to use it as selling point and to save the 30% revenue share that Steam gets, or maybe want to save the PC port for another priod of the year with less competition or to align it with the release of a sequel or movie/tv series adaptation or something like that, or maybe to separate it from other PC releases they may have around that period.

Last edited:

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
really bad look for ND, and a complete waste of time for all parties involved. even the writeup/post was a waste of time.

They're going to have to put it in writing, do we get 2 years or not? Because I don't want to have to guess, or have dates moved around any longer.

happy to see them get called out all over the comments section,a nd twitter though. keep the pressure up - the execs need to hear the negativity.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Is not about bragging about the PC. It's about seeing the push in graphics tech being attributed to the PC and not the consoles generation. It's so dumb for people to say "oh, it played on ps5 at 1080p/30fps. I'm hurt because it could've ran at 4k/60 if there was no Series S". They have no idea how the game engine processes data or the complexity of the algorithms. It's a false claim as to not have the consoles look bad because of lack of bandwidth.
Overall I like what console gaming brings, and I like what PC gaming brings to the table. That's why I have a PS5, and why I look forward to getting a new card - I just think it's a shame that GPUs are so expensive now (I'm still on a 1070ti due to 30 series prices/ethereum mining), and if I get a 4080 which has been my plan for about 12 months I don't think I will see what it's truly capable of for several years.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Jesus christ shut the fuck up.

If you're too stupid not sure about what's impressive about it, I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you.. since you've made up your mind that it isn't.

And yes... a fraction.
So you are wrong.
Steam Desk is very similar to a PS4 in terms of power there is nothing impressive about it running Uncharted 4 that is a game designed for PS4.

In fact SteamDesk should run the game better than what it runs on PS4 because the drop of resolution (1080p vs 800p or lower) and use of FSR.

Last edited:
Reactions: rofif

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
There is no truth, he already buried you. Stop talking.
The opposite.
I showed him the reality and him go to the insults because you know he lose the argument after I exposed the reality.

And I will say again Steam Deck is very similar to PS4 in hardware power… it should even get better results due the lower resolution.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
E
He already buried you.

Power limit
Non metal coding
Abstraction layer

Be silent, child.
Nope.

“PS4-quality gaming in the palm of your hand.”

“Based on my own experience of tweaking and tuning it with settings that exceed PS4 quality, it can easily sail past 30fps across the run of play

Because that is exactly what SteamDesk is hardware wise.

What is impressive about a PS4 game running in a machine that was designed to have similar power than PS4? And to say Steam Desk is a fraction of power of PS4 is sick bullshit that I have no ideia how even blind people here tries to defense that delusional made up shit.

Impressive should have Switch running Uncharted 4 that is indeed a fraction of PS4 power… not Steam Desk that was designed to exactly do that.

Plus the lower resolution allows you to use settings and effects ahead of what you have on PS4.

Last edited:
Reactions: PropellerEar

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
So you are wrong.
Steam Desk is very similar to a PS4 in terms of power there is nothing impressive about it running Uncharted 4 that is a game designed for PS4.

In fact SteamDesk should run the game better than what it runs on PS4 because the drop of resolution (1080p vs 800p or lower) and use of FSR.
Power limit.... :rolleyes:

PS4 = ~120w
Deck = ~25w

Durrr................................................. :rolleyes:

@TubzGaming You see...

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
@ethomaz Show me another portable device that can beat the Steam Deck in visuals/performance in the same price range.

I'm waiting.

If you can't find anything... then you're fully 100% admitting that it's impressive... because no other device can do it like the Deck can.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
As PS4 keeps getting compared to a Steam Deck here are the Specs

Product name: PlayStation®4
Product code: CUH-2000 series
Main processor: Single-chip custom processor - 1.6 GHz
CPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon™
Memory: GDDR5 8GB
Storage size*: 500GB, 1TB

Product name: Steam Deck
Processor: AMD APU
CPU: Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
APU power: 4-15W
Input: 45W USB Type-C PD3.0 power supply
RAM: 16 GB LPDDR5 on-board RAM (5500 MT/s quad 32-bit channels)
Storage: 64 GB eMMC (PCIe Gen 2 x1)
256 GB NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4 or PCIe Gen 3 x2*)
512 GB high-speed NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4 or PCIe Gen 3 x2*)

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022

Hmm, let's see what they say about it, shall we?

There are limitations to be aware of and specific weaknesses to look out for, especially when CPU and GPU compete for system resources, but the fact is that this Steam Machine offers eye-opening levels of performance for any portable device, let alone a handheld.

Performance far exceeds expectations​

Performance is the surprise package with Steam Deck because based on my tests, it effortlessly bests AMD's prior Vega-based graphics - even with titles that do not run on native Linux. To emphasise the class-leading performance of the RDNA 2 GPU core in the Van Gogh processor, I benched games including Control, Death Stranding and Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Steam Deck and an Asus Zephyrus G14 laptop, featuring a Ryzen 9 4900HS processor with Vega 8 graphics and a 35W TDP.

I was expecting the Steam Deck's extra efficiency to be offset by the 2.3x higher power budget of the 4900HS to produce like-for-like frame-rates (or close to it). However, I actually found that the Steam Deck's GPU offered anything between 51 to 61.5 percent more performance. Bearing in mind that we're comparing Linux performance with the Proton compatibility layer in effect on games like Control and Death Stranding, I find this quite remarkable. RDNA 2's performance uplift is the key to the Deck being so impressive - it's how we're able to run PC ports of console games at console equivalent settings on the handheld.

Overall though, Steam Deck performance is truly impressive so the question has to be asked: what is the cost for this level of performance? Pricing of the unit is not the issue: the base $399 Steam Deck is brilliant value, but even the top end $649 512GB SSD unit is a bargain.

Bubu Ethomaz said there's nothing impressive about it..... :derp:

Status
Not open for further replies.