Naughty Dog has stopped development on The Last of Us Online. Also an image showing The Last of Us Online’s menu leak

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
This hits incredibly hard:

All the experts saying "they have enough size, they hired a lot" doubling down on their idiocy while the "doomsayers" kept telling them that the game was in Dev Hell and that the experts didn't understand the size requirements for live service games.

Sad that we're probably not getting more than 1 game from them this gen, but validated on what I said.

What's equally scary is that they think the fans wanted some extravagant online with 24/7 post launch support. All they had to do was tack on a deathmatch mode like they did with Uncharted 2/3/4 and TLOU and fans would've been happy.

Not every game needs constant new maps and skins Danja. That type of mentality would've never led them to release their previous online modes and what got this one cancelled. Just release the mode and be done with it, but Jim (Phil) Ryan had to turn any online mode into an addictive engagement machine with constant updates.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Good news. ND is great at making single-player games, so make single-player games.
No they also made great multiplayer games. 3+ years wasted and stringing fans along. So much money wasted. No wonder Connie got axed

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Unfortunate cop out. Who even asked for this to be that much bigger in scope? We just wanted a modest mp with maps they could’ve easily taken from the main story.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
What's equally scary is that they think the fans wanted some extravagant online with 24/7 post launch support. All they had to do was tack on a deathmatch mode like they did with Uncharted 2/3/4 and TLOU and fans would've been happy.

Not every game needs constant new maps and skins Danja. That type of mentality would've never led them to release their previous online modes and what got this one cancelled. Just release the mode and be done with it, but Jim (Phil) Ryan had to turn any online mode into an addictive engagement machine with constant updates.
THIS!

We simply wanted Factions 2.0 and jthey could have thrown In a battle royal mode along with some Player vs Environment co-op like we had in Uncharted 3.

Honestly this is very upsetting as maybe I'm one of the few who appreciated their Multiplayer games. I even still go back to Uncharted 4 multiplayer at times as there's still nothing like it out there.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Really makes me wonder what GaaS titles are going to survive the culling. This is the one I expected to NOT get cancelled, so if it's canned...which ones remain?

I suppose Insomniac's will still come through. GT7 is doing quite well and could be expanded even further. Same with MLB The Show (Sony should really make a Warzone-style F2P variant for mobile). Outside of that though a lot is up in the air. The Horizon GaaS title might be on the chopping block, too. No idea with Fairgame$ and Concord, tho since they are 2024 I'm assuming they are far along enough to come through. Helldivers 2 looks good and coming soon.

We know Sony aren't going to stop pursuing GaaS but it might be time to partner with some big existing GaaS studios. That might be what stuff like the NCSoft partnership are at least partly about. But they'll probably also look into acquiring at least one of them, as well. Thankfully, they also know the importance of single-player content so any future investments and/or M&As gaming-wise will definitely factor that into the picture as well.

Yo, welcome back man!
I hope most GaaS dies. Shit is toxic.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
No they also made great multiplayer games. 3+ years wasted and stringing fans along. So much money wasted. No wonder Connie got axed

Oh yes, true. As long as they’re not making live service games I guess. A multiplayer mode shouldn’t break the studio.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
I would rather them cancel shit rather then work on shit, So good.
Was i looking forward to playing it? Yes
Is it the end of the world? Nope

I am just happy for them to focus on what they are good at.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
How much must this game suck if they can't even release it? I don't get it, who is making this call?

TLoU Part 2 has great controls, looks gorgeous and a Factions mode like the first one would already be a great game. Massive L.
And we know they had an alpha build of the multiplayer up and running before the game was even out in 2020.

• sad
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
So much time effort and people wasted on this project. Could have had at least one big single player game out this year or next year had it not been for this gaas crap. Keep Gaas games with gaas studios and dont give them to sp studios to make. Clearly even Naughty Dog just admitted that to support factions for years it would take resources away from other single player games "To release and support The Last of Us Online we’d have to put all our studio resources behind supporting post-launch content for years to come, severely impacting development on future single-player games. So, we had two paths in front of us: become a solely live service games studio or continue to focus on single-player narrative games that have defined Naughty Dog’s heritage.” And some people were saying that it doesnt take resources away

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I would rather them cancel shit rather then work on shit, So good.
Was i looking forward to playing it? Yes
Is it the end of the world? Nope

I am just happy for them to focus on what they are good at.
The problem is they worked on shit for 5+ years apparently. All for nothing and we got deprived of a multiplayer mode everyone assumed was going to release with TLoU Part 2 before they announced it.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
So much time effort and people wasted on this project. Could have had at least one big single player game out this year or next year had it not been for this gaas crap. Keep Gaas games with gaas studios and dont give them to sp studios to make. Clearly even Naughty Dog just admitted that to support factions for years it would take resources away from other single player games "To release and support The Last of Us Online we’d have to put all our studio resources behind supporting post-launch content for years to come, severely impacting development on future single-player games. So, we had two paths in front of us: become a solely live service games studio or continue to focus on single-player narrative games that have defined Naughty Dog’s heritage.” And some people were saying that it doesnt take resources away
I deeply dislike Bungie but buying studios specialized in GaaS to make GaaS makes a lot more sense that trying to find success making those games in studios that excel at something else.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: toadsage44 and Umar

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Somehow Jimbo retirement start to make sense and the company moving in another direction.

His vision is gone.

The sad part is that factions was awesome.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
SneakersSO on GAF about TLOU 👀

Alright, i'll spell it out a little for folks.

So, the devs working on this weren't just in-house SIE/ND, but also contractors who would've been needed to bolster the asset delivery pipelines needed to maintain a big live-service operation. When hammering out SLAs for contractors on a live-service project like this, you typically set them on time-based service timelines, 6-12 months, with automatic extensions baked in. The thing is, the SLA cuts both ways - if you cancel the project, say, 6 months before the contracts have matured, then thats just lost money. So what you can opt to do is you keep the contractors around, have them working on assets that can be shared in the engine and resources that your studio needs, then when the SLA does mature, you can cancel the project, without opening yourself up to legal liability, or handing out money and getting nothing in return.

This is one of the things that happened here. Its why you're hearing about its cancellation now instead of 6 months ago.

This is not at all what happened. This entire time, they have had 2 different SP titles in dev; their next main title (you can easily guess what it is) and a much smaller incubation team on something new.

SIE spent a lot of money and time since 2019 expanding their core dev teams, thanks to the tutelage on Insomniac, to turn them into multi-production teams. Almost all of their major studios now have multiple full production teams going. SSM has 2 and 1 smaller one, for example (Valhalla). Bend has 2, Sucker Punch has 2, ND had 2 + 1 smaller one as well, etc.. They talked openly about this for many years.

ND simply bit off more than they can chew here. They honestly believed they had a production pipeline that could support a live-service game for years all on their own, when they famously miss nearly all of their major publisher set milestones. There was no internal struggle - ND was super passionate about doing a live-service MP title.

This is not the last we have seen from MP modes at ND btw.

Reactions: Luffy123