Naughty Dog has stopped development on The Last of Us Online. Also an image showing The Last of Us Online’s menu leak

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This hits incredibly hard:

So, we had two paths in front of us: become a solely live service games studio or continue to focus on single-player narrative games that have defined Naughty Dog’s heritage.

All the experts saying "they have enough size, they hired a lot" doubling down on their idiocy while the "doomsayers" kept telling them that the game was in Dev Hell and that the experts didn't understand the size requirements for live service games.

Sad that we're probably not getting more than 1 game from them this gen, but validated on what I said.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
This is good. GaaS off the roadmap, do what you do well. Pivot what you have here into an mp mode with the next game.

I’m more than pleased. 🥂
It's a shame we didn't get a proper TLoU Part 2 Factions, the multiplayer on the first game was actually good.

GaaS is cancer for quality games and Sony does not know how to develop them anyway. As If ND would keep this game a secret for 5 years, with no community feedback at all and just show up with a great game, that is rarely how successful GaaS are made. They should've made something playable as soon as possible and put into players hand and see how it would land.

Hopefully we avoided the worst case scenario like what happened to Blizzard, Rockstar, Valve and Epic: company develops some sort of successful GaaS and after that can only thing about that same type of game and couldn't care less about single player games.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Crazy how much the anti Jim Ryan vision people have been vindicated. I doubt any of the usual bootlickers will show up here, or better yet, they'll pretend like they were against it the entire time.

It is sad that he killed one of my favorite online experiences of all time though, with the help of Bungie who's now on the brink of collapse themselves.

Nintendo seems like the only hardware maker that has stayed true to their guns and just made good games.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Wow and the legend @Nhomnhom is back!!! Welcome back sir and perfect timing.

rolling out the red carpet GIF by Golden Globes

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Crazy how much the anti Jim Ryan vision people have been vindicated. I doubt any of the usual bootlickers will show up here, or better yet, they'll pretend like they were against it the entire time.

It is sad that he killed one of my favorite online experiences of all time though, with the help of Bungie who's now on the brink of collapse themselves.

Nintendo seems like the only hardware maker that has stayed true to their guns and just made good games.
I find it very peculiar as to how his retirement lines up perfectly with them starting to pivot away from PC ports (TLOU2R) and live service crap.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Nintendo gets the console business better than any other company. They understand how not to devalue their products and what the appeal of their games is.

Sony releasing their games on PC was a huge mistake. Nintendo would kill for their games not to be on PC. Sony kept following MS's already failed strategies (with slight improvement and a little more conservative as if deep down they knew it was a mistake).

xor

29 Sep 2022
I'm happy to hear that overall. They're good at making single player games and should focus on that.
But this is one hell of a false dichotomy:
we had two paths in front of us: become a solely live service games studio or continue to focus on single-player narrative games
I don't think anyone, aside from maybe some shareholders, ever wanted a huge never-ending all-consuming content mill live service extravaganza.
They just wanted a multiplayer mode for TLOU2.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I find it very peculiar as to how his retirement lines up perfectly with them starting to pivot away from PC ports (TLOU2R) and live service crap.
Yep. He shrunk Playstations operating income RAPIDLY buying Bungie and chasing a GAAS goose. I'm sure Sony HQ took one look at where all their profits were going and ceremoniously axed him with retirement.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Where is everyone that were calling out people that opposed GaaS pivot now?

Sony was delusional thinking this would ever work and seems like the leadership did not understood the strengths of Sony studios and what it takes to make successful GaaS.
I just want to say that the live service bet Jim Ryan had is thankfully being killed. Too bad that we didn't get a fantastic multiplayer mode because that knucklehead wanted this to be a full on live service game and not just an included multiplayer offering.

Good fucking riddance.
We just need Hermen gone next!!!

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I think it is the best option forward, to much talent to be wasted on that Gaas shit.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer
24 Jun 2022
I just want to say that the live service bet Jim Ryan had is thankfully being killed. Too bad that we didn't get a fantastic multiplayer mode because that knucklehead wanted this to be a full on live service game and not just an included multiplayer offering.

Good fucking riddance.

Really makes me wonder what GaaS titles are going to survive the culling. This is the one I expected to NOT get cancelled, so if it's canned...which ones remain?

I suppose Insomniac's will still come through. GT7 is doing quite well and could be expanded even further. Same with MLB The Show (Sony should really make a Warzone-style F2P variant for mobile). Outside of that though a lot is up in the air. The Horizon GaaS title might be on the chopping block, too. No idea with Fairgame$ and Concord, tho since they are 2024 I'm assuming they are far along enough to come through. Helldivers 2 looks good and coming soon.

We know Sony aren't going to stop pursuing GaaS but it might be time to partner with some big existing GaaS studios. That might be what stuff like the NCSoft partnership are at least partly about. But they'll probably also look into acquiring at least one of them, as well. Thankfully, they also know the importance of single-player content so any future investments and/or M&As gaming-wise will definitely factor that into the picture as well.

Where is everyone that were calling out people that opposed GaaS pivot now?

Sony was delusional thinking this would ever work and seems like the leadership did not understood the strengths of Sony studios and what it takes to make successful GaaS.

Yo, welcome back man!

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
We just need Hermen gone next!!!
I can't believe the poor work he has done. The upcoming lineup of PS5 games is unbelievably bad IMO for a platform that is following the PS4. For about four years people have been coping saying Sony is saving the announcement, it's time to face reality.

I can only assume there are many games in development hell and a reasonable amount of incompetence from the leadership. Selling consoles on the back of the PS4 momentum, Insomniac and the great hardware design by Cerny is easy, where is everything else?

We need a Sony leadership that understand the fan base that would at least throw the audience some bones like a Bloodborne remaster, 60fps mode for big PS4 games, Half-Lify Alyx on PSVR2, etc. Those are all easy wins that would get them goodwill to make up for what isn't being released.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Honestly fuck Naughty Dog. Their reasoning is beyond idiotic, amateur and insulting.

I've said on this very forum many times that was my major concern with them doing a GaaS, because they have shit long term support.

Now it is insulting to fans their excuse for canning the game is they don't have the resources to sustain a GaaS. Like, no shit? This was also their excuse during Uncharted 2 Multiplayer, Uncharted 3 Multiplayer (given they at least tried and kept support going for two whole years)

They couldn't even finish their one year roadmap for Uncharted 4 multiplayer and abandoned it in an unfinished barebones state to this day.

So why even start up a GaaS game after that multiplayer? Given the fact they had pretty much lost basically all their Uncharted 4 multiplayer staff? Due to burnout.

All we wanted a lobby multiplayer like past games.... Fuck them and fuck Hermen Hulst... The Phil Spencer of PlayStation.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Good news. ND is great at making single-player games, so make single-player games.