Neil Druckmann has "Concept" stored in his mind for The Last of us Part 3: 'There's Probably One More Chapter to This Story'. New Game is not TLOU.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
From the documentary it sounds like Neil is a huge From Software nerd

I'm expecting he goes fully into an RPG direction

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I can't wait for Ellie and Abby to run the fireflies together and become eternal sisters, helping each other through the game.
Ellie, after Abby regime like
Fitness Posing GIF

ElCapitano

11 Mar 2023
I think he is keeping his cards close to his chest so they can avoid crunch etc etc.

ND confirmed they have multiple single players games in development last year.

They are hardly making two new games before Part 3.

So I think Part 3 has been in development longer than he is letting on.

The new IP will still come first of course.

I'd say the aim is New IP 2026.
Part 3 2028 or 2029.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I've always imagined ND either making a noir type of game, or a retread of Jak ala steampunk except a new IP

Gonna add that I cant agree with people wanting generic dnd fantasy or SW sci-fi, extremely played out for a brand new Ip. I'm sure ND will be more creative than that.

I would love a spiritual successor to Jak, the world in those games was so interesting and unique

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Some time ago he said that had an idea for TLOU3 and wrote a first early draft of the main story just in case they decided to develop it in the future. I like to see he mentioned in Grounded 2 that could be about Tommy (a least the small story he had in mind). It would be great if most of TLOU3 would be Tommy and Ellie remembering stories they had with Joel (with playable flashbacks) instead of another woke tokenism fest. And cut Abby's head with a chainsaw in the first scene of the intro (+ in the game announcement trailer).

I think it was so dumb to get rid of Nate and Joel because of wokism, let's hope someone puts some order there and bring them back.

If they still aren't working on it and when they cancelled TLOU Online had at least 2 SP games under development, I'd say it's fair to assume they are working an Uncharted and a new IP. Or if not maybe they got The Punisher IP, because in an interview he was asked which IP he'd like to adapt and he said that one.

Last edited:

ElCapitano

11 Mar 2023
Some time ago he said that had an idea for TLOU3 and wrote a first early draft of the main story just in case they decided to develop it in the future. I like to see he mentioned in Grounded 2 that could be about Tommy (a least the small story he had in mind). It would be great if most of TLOU3 would be Tommy and Ellie remembering stories they had with Joel (with playable flashbacks) instead of another woke tokenism fest.

If they still aren't working on it and when they cancelled TLOU Online had at least 2 SP games under development, I'd say it's fair to assume they are working an Uncharted and a new IP. Or if not maybe they got The Punisher IP, because in an interview he was asked which IP he'd like to adapt and he said that one.

I doubt they have two games in development that aren't the last of us.

So I still think he is just keeping his cards close to his chest and Part 3 has been in development a bit longer than he is letting on

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I doubt they have two games in development that aren't the last of us.
They said "more than one". So can be 2 or 3 games WIP. And who knows if the TLOU Online people goes to work in another one.

image.png

Maybe they were already working on Uncharted and a new IP, and now that they cancelled TLOU Online may have a third team to work in TLOU3, to rehash part of the work made for TLOU Online.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
As for TLOU. The series needs the fairytale ending... too good not to give it. Obviously how it gets the fairytale ending is what will separate cliche from masterpiece. I've no doubt ND can deliver that just like they delivered on the father-daughter theme, or the revenge plot theme. Simple themes, but when done right, that is what separates the best from the rest of the pack.

The fairytale ending everyone knows is the cure. The series should end with the cure found/obtained/sacrificed for. The game has already explored almost every type of human emotion out there. It's time to cap it off with the message of hope, the light at the end of the dark tunnel that has been the last 2 games. If done right it could be a beautiful thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luffy123

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So I think Part 3 has been in development longer than he is letting on.
He said they are not working on TLOU3 and that isn't sure about its story, but has a main concept for it. Meaning, they are not even in preproduction: they are not working in the game or even greenlighted it.

ElCapitano

11 Mar 2023
He said they are not working on TLOU3 and that isn't sure about its story, but has a main concept for it. Meaning, they are not even in preproduction: they are not working in the game or even greenlighted it.

Personally I don't believe him. Devs bend the truth a lot.

They are confirmed to have multiple single players games in production. I highly doubt they have two or more games coming before Part 3.

I could be wrong but that's what I think

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Got a feeling Ellie and Abby will be like Goku - Vegeta or Godzilla - Kong and teamed up against bigger enemy in the third game

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
It’s probably best to take time away from TLOU and work on something else and get inspired more and come back to it. Stretch your wings a bit.

When TLOU2 came out it was Uncharted they really seemed relieved to get another break from. Now they need something else to switch out

Reactions: Dr Bass

TheLastOfSnatcher

6 Feb 2023
Got a feeling Ellie and Abby will be like Goku - Vegeta or Godzilla - Kong and teamed up against bigger enemy in the third game

You are in the right direction. I can see Ellie ultimately sacrificing herself for humanity. Tommy maybe even seeing Ellie as a traitor and an enemy for working with Abby.

Hopefully, this won't take 10 more years.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
TLOU3 I expect will commence about 5 years later. Ellie will be a real reflection of Joel at the start of TLOU, isolated and dangerous..I don't expect she will have gone back to Jackson. I think after the pandemic in the real world it's probably a big theme that will resonate with people

But the overall theme of the game will be redemption. Ellie reached her darkest point in TLOU2

I don't think the obvious stuff will happen: Ellie and Abby paling up
Ellie dying at the end for the cure
Ellie having an adopted son or daughter to care for (I could see this happening at the end though)

In fact I could see some potential twists being thrown in like maybe a cure is developed anyway without Ellie and the TLOU world has its own anti vaxxers. Maybe an organisation like FEDRA finds out about Ellie and attacks Jackson where she was last known to be.

The thing about the cure is that it's really just a plot device and I don't see a compelling ending in her just dying on an operating table like TLOU1. If anything she will begin to be more and more understanding of why Joel did it

I think if Abby is in it, it will be a cameo role at most. I just don't see a compelling reason for them to cross paths again. And the sad fact is that reprising that role is more trouble than it's worth for everyone involved