New Smaller PS5 console coming this holiday season

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
A lot smaller but a lot uglier. Hardware team phoned this one in for real.

Summer Nightmares

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2023
Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I don't really see a difference in the picture but they call that the slim.

It's so god damn obvious you blind fool.

Brb, going to take a closer look.

Spying Peeping Tom GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
What was the point of doing this if there’s still 2 models? It was said the idea was to make manufacturing easier with one model?????

At least that’s what that person said whatever his name is.
it's what i said it was. with the revision, there's one assembly line producing one playstation 5 unit, which can be allocated modularly as disc or discless for retail. that is a huge savings for sony.

• brain

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
If the digital version is only $50 less than the disc version, why in the fuck would anyone ever buy the digital? Especially since it's another $80 for the disc drive. So if you buy digital now and decide later that you want to play discs, you end up getting the same thing as the disc version but for $530 (plus tax) vs $500 (plus tax). Make it make sense.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
People complaining about it already 'waaahhh it should be cheaper' 'waaaahh buy a stand separately to have it vertical' we've seen the leaks of Microsofts revised all digital series X at $500 with no option to add a disk drive the ps5 is clearly the more consumer friendly choice

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
I guess in hindsight, they never would've made digital + disc drive add-on cheaper than the PS5 that comes with the disc drive out the box. Still a strange choice, but I'm sure there are people out there who will end up buying digital but also buy the disc drive down the road.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
If the digital version is only $50 less than the disc version, why in the fuck would anyone ever buy the digital? Especially since it's another $80 for the disc drive. So if you buy digital now and decide later that you want to play discs, you end up getting the same thing as the disc version but for $530 (plus tax) vs $500 (plus tax). Make it make sense.
I basically agree with you, but who cares? Fuck the digital model.

Reactions: toadsage44

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
People complaining about it already 'waaahhh it should be cheaper' 'waaaahh buy a stand separately to have it vertical' we've seen the leaks of Microsofts revised all digital series X at $500 with no option to add a disk drive the ps5 is clearly the more consumer friendly choice
Imagine that you're a person who plays videogames rather than a foot soldier in the console wars.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
This is wild speculation on my part, but Sony probably got some sweetheart deal from Gamestop and other retailers to focus primarily on the disc version. Im surprised they didnt decrease the price of the regular model but seeing as how xbox is irrelevant even after starfield, they probably felt no need to cut the price other than the bundles and temporary price cuts they have going. I do wonder if they can reach 25 million sold by April now however.

• brain

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022

XSS represents over 50% of xbox series sales
DE represents less than 20% of PS5 sales

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
I have noticed no one seems to bring up the fact the new model also has more storage onboard
Screenshot 2023-10-10 182515.png
If it is a true Storage upgrade that's a little more bang for your buck.
And the fact that there will be Plates / Covers available starting in early 2024
All-matte Black colorway and the Deep Earth Collection colors in Volcanic Red, Cobalt Blue, and Sterling Silver.

• Informative
Reactions: Zzero and Entropi