New Smaller PS5 console coming this holiday season

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Announced through a blog post, as well as directly competing with the Spiderman PS5 and new covers that were just announced. Yeah playstation marketing has truly lost touch

Reactions: toadsage44

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
What was the point of doing this if there’s still 2 models? It was said the idea was to make manufacturing easier with one model?????

At least that’s what that person said whatever his name is.
Now both are the same model, but one of them it's bundled with the disk reader.

Why is IGN calling it a ‘Slim’?
Maybe because it's almost a third smaller than the original one, and because people normally use that name for this kind of mid gen smaller refreshes.

First time a slim version didnt become cheaper. It's in fact more expensive his time. Sony is really the apple of gaming & you love to see it.
Consoles are supposed to become cheaper, not more expensive
Unlike in the previous generations, over time the prices of components and shipments (fuel) increased instead of getting cheaper due to covid, inflation, sanctions to Russia, etc. This is the reason of why a ton (one of them being Xbox) of hardware companies -specially the ones selling their products at a loss or almost- raised their prices and not only Sony.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
What was the point of doing this if there’s still 2 models? It was said the idea was to make manufacturing easier with one model?????

At least that’s what that person said whatever his name is.
The original model will be phased out. This is just one, modular, model.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Sony seems to be really strapped for cash even when they dominate the console market. They seem to be milking playstation division like crazy. How about their other divisions? There's a limit on how much you can fleece your customer base.

And folks question the PC ports initiative... every dollar counts!

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Sony seems to be really strapped for cash even when they dominate the console market. They seem to be milking playstation division like crazy. How about their other divisions? There's a limit on how much you can fleece your customer base.

And folks question the PC ports initiative... every dollar counts!
I cant tell if they are strapped for cash or just taking advantage of the fact that Microsoft is stepping on every rake they can find plus Starfield being a dud sure doesnt hurt.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I have noticed no one seems to bring up the fact the new model also has more storage onboard
View attachment 2566
If it is a true Storage upgrade that's a little more bang for your buck.
And the fact that there will be Plates / Covers available starting in early 2024
All-matte Black colorway and the Deep Earth Collection colors in Volcanic Red, Cobalt Blue, and Sterling Silver.

This totally went over my head. The new model comes with 1 TB of storage. I wonder if the controller still has 12 channels.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
image.png

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Era, of course, is crying over this.
They don't look for facts.

They are crying that the height didn't change.

But...

The blog said it was 30% smaller... how do you decrease the volume in 30% but let height unchanged with similar form is out of my mind.
Hey the blog even give the dimensions.

New PS5 DE: Approx. 358 x 80 x 216 mm (width x height x depth)
Old PS5 DE: Approx. 390 x 92 x 260 (width × height × depth)

It is around 3cm smaller in height, 1cm in width and 4cm in depth.

• Informative
Reactions: Entropi