Next-gen Xbox to have 2 SKUs including handheld |UP| Xbox teases powerful next gen console & Phil alludes to handheld or playing everywhere sku.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I hope not. Imagine having a "PlayStation", but having to check if yours can play that game or has compatibility issues. Or even worse, imagine having a "regular" PS but your games run like shit because devs have to support multiple devices.
My idea for PlayStation portable, was always that their portable should just be their last gen games. Simple enough and solves pretty much all issues when it comes to compatibility, if a dev want they can make a PS4 version of their new game it would even help people that still play on PS4 get new indie and non demanding games.

A portable that runs base PS4 games with a 1080p OLED screen, sounds great to me, could also be used for PS5 remote play. But then they came up with that lazy PlayStation Portal abomination.

If it was exactly as I described I would pay $399 for it.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
so i guess none of the hardware guys will directly launch with one another anymore.
Nintendo 2024
Microsoft 2026
Sony 2028
I love new hardware so I welcome most launches but this nahhh unless it has other things besides gamepass I'm not buying.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
My idea for PlayStation portable, was always that their portable should just be their last gen games. Simple enough and solves pretty much all issues when it comes to compatibility, if a dev want they can make a PS4 version of their new game it would even help people that still play on PS4 get new indie and non demanding games.

A portable that runs base PS4 games with a 1080p OLED screen, sounds great to me, could also be used for PS5 remote play. But then they came up with that lazy PlayStation Portal abomination.

If it was exactly as I described I would pay $399 for it.

I guess PS Vita should have been that, but they fucked up the PS3 and quickly stopped to make or at least incentivate others to make dedicated games.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I guess PS Vita should have been that, but they fucked up the PS3 and quickly stopped to make or at least incentivate others to make dedicated games.
Vita needed native game ports, the point of a PS4 portable is it would already launch with a huge library and would have complete synergy with PS+.

The hardware itself wouldn't need to be an exact match to the PS4 just able to run every PS4 game.

It would have Elden Ring, Hogwarts, Persona 3 Reload, GoW Ragnarok, GT7, Horizon Forbidden West, etc, all playable on release.

This is why I hate the PS Portal, what a wasted opportunity.

Last edited:

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
xbox-series-consoles-1440x810.jpg

Xbox has pledged that its consoles will continue to be the best way to play its games, and that access to those games will not be removed in the near future.

As part of its statement on the future of the Xbox business, an article on the Xbox blog states that Xbox consoles “will continue to provide a flagship experience for players”.

It also notes that Game Pass “will continue to be only available on Xbox platforms”, essentially shooting down suggestions that it may come to PlayStation or Nintendo systems in the future.

The statement also appears to dismiss concerns that players’ Xbox libraries will be shut down in the future, saying the company’s “commitment to game preservation is unwavering”.

“Xbox players should have confidence in building your digital library in the Xbox ecosystem,”
it says.

“We will continue to reward that with the most robust, player-friendly experiences, including backwards compatibility, cross-play, cross-save progression, convenient cloud gaming, and more.”

It also makes the following promises for Xbox players:

• “The biggest games in the world will be on Xbox. ”
  • “Our games will come to Game Pass day one.”
  • “A robust and innovative multi-year hardware roadmap.”
  • “Compatibility with your library is a priority, inclusive of cross-play, cross-save, and robust cloud features.”
  • “Xbox will continue to help game creators find the biggest audience possible.”
Source

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
They continue to want to be stood up by that most powerful console narrative in the future as if that helped them this gen.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I have played my XsX that I bought in 2021 for a total of about 5 hours.

Yeah, I am really excited for the next ‘most powerful console ever’ to sit in my shelf unplayed for years.

Reactions: The Icon

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
So the too long didn't watch version is:

"Just wait until next generation"? 😂

It's one up from "just wait until next E3, at least"

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
So the too long didn't watch version is:

"Just wait until next generation"? 😂

It's one up from "just wait until next E3, at least"
Exactly. Alot of maybes and bs. I knew the podcast would be horrible.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Exactly. Alot of maybes and bs. I knew the podcast would be horrible.
I think they'll close the gen early. Maybe launch alongside Switch 2 and get an early jump on next gen like they did with Xbox 360.

I just hope more games are launched by then, for both consoles.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Largest technical leap just means that next Xbox/PS6 will finally be able to do more than 1-2 reduced Ray Traced effects and not tank performance/resolution to do it. They want to wow gamers with pixels.

But that's to be expected. If they both go for AMD for their next console, no matter how behind AMD is compared to Nvidia, by that point surely RT rendering is not going to be this inefficient. Right?

As soon as I saw it was RDNA2, I knew we were doomed this gen when it came to really utilizing RT for most games.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Largest technical leap just means that next Xbox/PS6 will finally be able to do more than 1-2 reduced Ray Traced effects and not tank performance/resolution to do it. They want to wow gamers with pixels.

But that's to be expected. If they both go for AMD for their next console, no matter how behind AMD is compared to Nvidia, by that point surely RT rendering is not going to be this inefficient. Right?

As soon as I saw it was RDNA2, I knew we were doomed this gen when it came to really utilizing RT for most games.
It didn't help them with X so it isn't saying much.