"Next year is going to be very, very big for Sony First Party games" industry veteran Shinobi

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Venom was listed for 2027 in the Insomniac docs. Bluepoint is not working in their own game, after Demon's Souls they did work in GoWR and after release they didn't have enough designers to lead their own game, meaning they are in a support role again if it's true what his boss said that they moved away from remasters/remakes.
Venom was listed for Fall 2025. Where are you getting your info from? 😂 https://wccftech.com/marvels-venom-insomniac/

Reactions: Airbus

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
No offence but i rather trust him than you

You already wrong for saying venom coming in 2027
Venom was listed for Fall 2025. Where are you getting your info from? 😂 https://wccftech.com/marvels-venom-insomniac/

You shouldn't trust me or him, you should trust Insomniac's slides, where it's mentioned also as 2027.

In game development roadmaps get reviewed every quarter, half a year or year. And 99% of the cases it's to delay them or cancel them, not to release them faster.

Here you have some leaked Insomniac slides considering No Venom release and other ones mentioning 2023 (I assume maybe talking about Spider-Man 2 and had to update the page), 2025 or 2027:

csm_Insomniac-roadmap-extended_423a70de31.jpg

Insomniac-roadmap-mp.png

csm_Insomniac-roadmap_b2299a951d.jpg

1D0e2GY.png
k8Zqh7c.jpeg

OkQWOaW.jpeg

229XGJM.jpeg

There was also a meeting minutes note/mail apparently from a Venom greenlight meeting where they were mentioning about moving resources from the Insomniacs projects to be released after 2027 to the projects to be released until 2027 (pretty likely meaning they were going to have a release in 2027).

Last edited:

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Insomniac is the only PS Studio still releasing games consistently, the rest have been silent since 2019, by 2025 it will have been 6 years or more for some of these studios.

They better come out with a masterpiece for taking This long

Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Here you have some Insomniac slides considering No Venom release and other ones mentioning 2027, 2025 and (I assume maybe talking about Spider-Man 2) 2023:

csm_Insomniac-roadmap-extended_423a70de31.jpg

Insomniac-roadmap-mp.png

csm_Insomniac-roadmap_b2299a951d.jpg

1D0e2GY.png

OkQWOaW.jpeg

229XGJM.jpeg
k8Zqh7c.jpeg

There was also a meeting minutes note/mail apparently from a Venom greenlight meeting where they were mentioning about moving resources from the Insomniacs projects to be released after 2027 to the projects to be released until 2027 (pretty likely meaning they were going to have a release in 2027).
Where on this slide does it say 2027 though? Also why would it take Insomniac 4 years, to make an 8-10 hour smaller scale game with the same assets as SM2? It took 2 years to make MM. The only way Venom is 2027 is if the Venom game is much bigger and on the scale of SM2, which I don’t see happening.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Insomniac is the only PS Studio still releasing games consistently, the rest have been silent since 2019, by 2025 it will have been 6 years or more for some of these studios.

They better come out with a masterpiece for taking This long
Insomniac is the only PS Studio that had enough people to have 3 or 4 games being developed at the same time several years ago, while most of the other teams had only one. In fact Insomniac are two studios, not one.

Insomniac, like the rest of the PS Studios teams, needs around 5-9 years to develop a current gen game.

All PS Studios in recent years have been / are growing and now are working in multiple games at the same time, so in the future they'll release games more frequently.

Where on this slide does it say 2027 though? Also why would it take Insomniac 4 years, to make an 8-10 hour smaller scale game with the same assets as SM2? It took 2 years to make MM. The only way Venom is 2027 is if the Venom game is much bigger and on the scale of SM2, which I don’t see happening.

This one, see the right part of the slide and the note in the bottom left corner.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Insomniac is the only PS Studio that had enough people to have 3 or 4 games being developed at the same time several years ago, while most of the other teams had only one. In fact Insomniac are two studios, not one.
Youre saying insomniac has much larger workers than guerella, naughty dog, polyphony, santa monica studio?
I Dont Believe That Sydney Sweeney GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Doubt that but theyre more efficient right now

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Venom was listed for 2027 in the Insomniac docs. Bluepoint is not working in their own game, after Demon's Souls they did work in GoWR and after release they didn't have enough designers to lead their own game, meaning they are in a support role again if it's true what his boss said that they moved away from remasters/remakes.
It was 2025, not 2027. That pushed Wolverine to 2026.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Youre saying insomniac has much larger workers than guerella, naughty dog, polyphony, santa monica studio?
I Dont Believe That Sydney Sweeney GIF by Amazon Prime Video
As I said, years ago yes.

Insomniac was able to work in 3-4 games at the same time while the other teams worked most of the time only in 1. But the other studios have been growing during the Jim Ryan era, so they are getting closer to Insomniac and now are able to work at the same time in multiple games.

Wikipedia:
Insomniac: >400 (2021)
Guerrilla: 360 (June 2021, were working at the same time in HFW, CoM and Horizon Online, now in H3 after HFW+CoM)
Polyphony: ~300 (Feb. 2022, work in post launch content of a game while developing the next one)
SMS: 400 (Nov 2022, moved from GoWR to next GoW, small team worked in Valhalla and maybe there's the supposed new IP)

ND: >400 (July 2023, grew to start to work in 3 new games early 2023)

LinkedIn as of today:
Insomniac: 517
Guerrilla: 416
Polyphony: 83 (LinkedIn isn't popular in Japan)
SMS: 417
ND: 846

It was 2025, not 2027. That pushed Wolverine to 2026.
This slide has Wolverine in 2026 and Venom in 2027. See the top right corner of the graph and the note in the bottom left

229XGJM.jpeg

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The Fermi paradox applies here: if they are working on even more games, where are those games?
Other than the already released ones, they are being developed because AAA are made in 5-9 years, not in 3 months.

In the case of ND they released TLOU2, TLOUP1, Uncharted LoT, TLOU2R, started TLOU Online in 2019 but cancelled it. And as we know started a SP game around 2021 and another in H1 2023, so it's too early to show them.

SSM released GoWR2 in 2022 and Valhalla in 2023. So the next GoW is years away from being shown. They may also be working in the Cory new IP since late 2018/early 2019, which could be shown and released at an moment.

Insomniac released Spider-Man 2 in 2023, it's working on Wolverine (2026), Venom (2027, but maybe 2025) and Spider-Man 3 (2028).

Polyphony released GT7 in 2022, GT7VR in 2023, is releasing content for GT7 and working in minimum GT8, which obviously it's too early to show.

Guerrilla released HFW in 2022 and CoM in 2023. They hired a former Killzone 2 MP director to direct Horizon Online in 2018, so the game could be shown this or next year, which could be the same Horizon game -or not- being (co?) developed at NCSoft for mobile and PC. Since they shipped HFW they are also working in Horizon 3, which obviously it's too early to be shown.

If I had to bet out of all these studios the next game to be shown, and very likely this year, would be Cory's IP (if it ended being pitched and greenlighted) and probably later the Horizon MP game.

Last edited:

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Usually these kind of insiders (lol) always overhype anything Playstation rumors whatever like there's some unannounced fan favorite AAA games coming. So you can guess it gonna be DS2, Wolverine and maybe the most suspected Tsushima sequel plus Venom game. Stop pretending there's some mysterious unannounced shits when every Sony first-party big games got leaked left and right already shinobi lol.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Not that many difference between insomniac and the other studios

And naughty dog still have twice amount of manpower than insomniac

This shows insomniac is more efficient at producing games has nothing to do with the numbers of employee
As I mentioned they all grew, specially the non-Insomniac teams.

Several years ago, in the pre-Jim Ryan era (more than 5 years ago, which the minimum of the average AAA takes to be done), Insomniac was considerably bigger than the other ones.

The other teams have now a relatively similar size to Insomniac and are working on multiple games at the same time, which means that some years in the future they'll have a similar output than Insomniac.

But the AAA games released now were started 5-9 years ago, when Insomniac was bigger than the rest.

Go and find what was the size of these teams in 2016-2018 (or earlier) to see the difference with their current numbers.

Usually these kind of insiders (lol) always overhype anything Playstation rumors whatever like there's some unannounced fan favorite AAA games coming. So you can guess it gonna be DS2, Wolverine and maybe the most suspected Tsushima sequel plus Venom game. Stop pretending there's some mysterious unannounced shits when every Sony first-party big games got leaked left and right already shinobi lol.
I hope you enjoyed the 2nd 2023 showcase they were hyping, or the Square Enix acquisition in 2023 they were also hyping.

Last edited:

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
As I mentioned they grew. Several years ago the difference was bigger but the numbers I shown were just a quick search the first one from wikipedia and the second from LinkedIn (where I assume that number doesn't reflect the reality, I assume many people listed as ND are former workers or fans.
But as i said before

Has nothing to do with numbers of employee

The other guy ( naughty dog) have more than 800 employee and seems to struggle to release new game

Lets give credit to insomniac where it deserves

Reactions: Umar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
But as i said before

Has nothing to do with numbers of employee

The other guy ( naughty dog) have more than 800 employee and seems to struggle to release new game

Lets give credit to insomniac where it deserves
As I said the 800 LinkedIn number must be taken with a grain of salt since the real number must be way lower because many fans put themselves as workers of their favorite companies and some people who left a company takes time to update their linkedin.

ND released in 3 years and a half TLOU2, Uncharted LoT Collection, its PC port, TLOUP1, its PC port, TLOU2R. They are not struggling. They cancelled TLOU Online, which is normal in game development. They have minimum 2 big new games under development, which by normal AAA standards (specially Sony time frames) are in a too early stage of development to be shown and there are not signs at all that they may have any issue.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
As I said the 800 LinkedIn number must be taken with a grain of salt since the real number must be way lower because many fans put themselves as workers of their favorite companies and some people who left a company takes time to update their linkedin.
When you put that way theres strong posibility insomniac also has lower number of workers

So credit where it belongs for insomniac for their efficiency

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom