Nintendo is suing Palworld (Update: Palworld will fight back)

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Extremely good article on the topic. Mostly speculative, but very insightful as its an interview with the CEO of a Japan game industry consulting firm. Basically, Nintendo would likely not have done this lawsuit if they didn't think they could win, as they have never lost a patent lawsuit in Japan. They likely have been spending a lot of time building up a case which is why it took so long for this to occur, so Nintendo is almost assuredly going to win. Palworld won't necessarily have to go away, but they will have to pay licensing fees to continue existing should they lose. This was also very likely done to sabotage new releases (such as seemingly the upcoming PS5 version reveal) and general growth at Pocketpair.

• Informative
Reactions: Ico

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
The meme of Nintendo being this overly litigious company is weird and implies they never have a point with any of these lawsuits.

Nintendo gets aped constantly. Sorry they have original ideas and are popular. If Sony and Microsoft operated with the same level of creativity they’d be suing copiers too.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
why do so many of you fetishize the idea of game devs being bought out by big publishers
No they shouldn't have????
Would just be another studio for Microsoft to close when investors are upset
We still feeling the impact of 2020-2022 when the only thing the hardcore space would talk about was who MS is going to buy next.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
And they released an official statement about it 7 months ago. Did you forget it was released on Steam too?
Turns out I was right. Nintendo chose this timing because the game was going to get announced on PS5 next week.

Sorry Exanthus but sending an injunction takes 5 minutes. Anybody with eyes could tell Palword was a blatant ripoff. You don't need to build your whole case from A to Z for months before doing something.

The timing is fishy and that is that.

Nene Leakes GIF
Prince Harry Mic Drop GIF

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Turns out I was right. Nintendo chose this timing because the game was going to get announced on PS5 next week.

Prince Harry Mic Drop GIF
Some one on resetera mentioned that this was most likely pulled do to the PS5 version not actually being announced yet but was listed on the show list on September 11th:

also I found this on resetera as well which is very interesting:

Makes me wonder was Sony Music is going to do about this:

Al Catone

Whiskers
Staff member
18 Jun 2024