Obsidian Avowed new combat and gameplay Shown. Release Fall 2024. |UP| 2/5/24 Dropped Frames Interview.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

1705609098593.png

1705608774764.png

Update 1/22/24 4K screenshots

Gallery: Here's A Look At New 4K Screenshots For Obsidian's Avowed Gallery: Here's A Look At New 4K Screenshots For Obsidian's Avowed 1 Gallery: Here's A Look At New 4K Screenshots For Obsidian's Avowed 2 Gallery: Here's A Look At New 4K Screenshots For Obsidian's Avowed 3

Diving Deeper into the World of Avowed​

Avowed lead reveals there's "no one perfect build" in Obsidian's classless RPG: "There's gonna be choice and consequence for what you kit out”​

Avowed Developers Confirm Game Has Multiple Endings: 'It's an Obsidian Game'​

Carrie Patel was on Dropped Frames talking about Avowed.​

emoji:news-report:
News

Here's a breakdown of what was discussed:
- They are aware of the vocal feedback around combat [impact]; it's something they already know about and are actively working on. The footage shown in the Developer_Direct was already weeks behind what was the current build (at the time of filming).
- Players will find themselves one foot between a grounded political story and a metaphysical story about gods and souls.
- There will be things to find in the environment (Cohh's question was targeted around loot, environmental storytelling, notes etc.).
- Classless system but skill trees will allow for speccing into more traditional 'archetypes' if a player wants.
- Companion skill trees are locked to a specific archetype, but will allow for variations.
- Different enemy attacks can impact the player (knockdown, push, unblockable etc.).
- Not discussing endings or NG+ at this time.
- Some character creation decisions will have mechanical and roleplay impacts.
- Scope is similar to The Outer Worlds (question was about playtime, critical path vs. 100% completion).
- Weapon upgrade system (not mandatory, but recommended).
- Party camp will follow you through the game (no base building).
- Similar difficulty options in their previous games (story time, path of the damned).
- Grimoire magic still in the game, just wasn't shown at the direct (can also dual wield grimoire + wand for quick magic and powerful spells).
- Can't speak much about the stat system, but the general idea is they don't want a system that corners players into potential bad decisions. Want to present a fun set of options for the player.
- Can't speak much on bosses yet, but the idea around combat encounters is to present a variety of enemies that will challenge the player and not make them feel too complacent with sticking to one play style. Want to encourage swapping weapon sets.
- Playing PoE 1 and 2 are not required to understand what's going on.
- No mini-games.
- Day and Night system is there, but doesn't affect gameplay.
- No mounts, some combat abilities affect movement (charge, etc.).
- Tease about some gear can affect things like movement.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It looks fine, mechanicswise, to me, but the world looks like it will have two hundred meter wide biomes or other laughable bullshit that you get in cheap fantasy games that don't have the budget to do better.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
mow24wZ.png

m4L66OS.png

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
If the skeleton art is not the cover, that's an L, looks great.

Graphically, it looks better than last time, also the Art Direction looks much better once we got to see a bit more of the world. It's no looker, but I never expected it to be.

All in all, it's what I expected of them, but I already like their games so I'll be there.
The ui design of the dialogue box is generic as hell.
Yeah I was surprised by that, everything else has some style but they've kept it barebones on that part.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
It looks very pre-Alpha-looking.

Long way to go, hopefully it improves alot by then.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Do we know if Co-op is part of this? It could be a good experience that way but the world is very barren from what they've shown. But it didn't look bad.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
So announced for “Xbox and PC”, right?

It looks awful from a gameplay-only point of view.

Reactions: EDMIX