Opinion: Playstation Will Miss Sales Targets for 2024

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
So now shareholders "conveniently" don't matter when SIE misses their sales targets? Interesting 🤔😁....

Perspective matters.

Sony sold 20.8 million units last fiscal year with a sales target of 25 million.

If Sony sells 19 million units this fiscal year with a sales target of 18 million.

Which is the better year?

Madness as so called gamers we are more absorbed into sales targets and forecasts than actually discussing games.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Perspective matters.

Sony sold 20.8 million units last fiscal year with a sales target of 25 million.

If Sony sells 19 million units this fiscal year with a sales target of 18 million.

Madness as so called gamers we are more absorbed into sales targets and forecasts than actually discussing games.
2nd.

how you said, perspective matters.

let's see if you see what you preach.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Yep. Some people also thinks that PS5 didn't perform well this year because they missed their target, but even if they missed it the sales were great.

Regarding PS5 not performing as good as PS4 mostly due to Europe, I don't remember the country specific PS5 vs PS4 launch aligned sales comparision, but maybe it's mainly to underperforming in some big country. Do you remember these country specific numbers?

UK, Germany and France are by far the top 3 biggest European markets, followed by Italy and Spain (top 4 and 5, but traditionally each of these two countries represent only around 2% or less of the worldwide revenue in different gaming markets).

These people aren't serious. They can't separate a goal from success or failure, which is wild.

The UK is presumably close as Dring said the PS5 just fell behind the PS4 recently. The other countries will be more difficult but we can assume Germany and France are where they're really falling behind.

Not only are these economies impacted by covid inflation but also rising costs due to the war in ukraine. The idea that the PS5 should be ahead in Europe despite the state of the economy just doesn't add up. Even the effects of Brexit will have negatively impacted the PS5 vs the PS4.

As Europe's economy slowly improves and as it becomes more difficult to stay on PS4, the PS5 will catch up in Europe and magically these guys will lose their biggest argument, mind you they won't relent even after the PS5 officially overtakes the PS4. They'll stick to their agenda, so it's not even worth arguing with them.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
And the Sony doom mongers have joined the bandwagon.

Do yourself and us a favour and move to another platform.

Grass is greener there.

They're not looking to move. They just want to complain. This is their space to do it. It's apparently not against forum rules to just doom monger non stop. We get a new topic on it on an almost daily basis that adds nothing new to the discussion.

• they're_right_you_know

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Perspective matters.

I know what you're getting at here, but if Sony is able to hit 18-19 million and component costs have reduced this year and they sell the PS5 Pro at cost or for profit, the 18 million would be better. Even 16 million could be better if they're selling the Pro for profit, and the Pro makes a good percentage of total sales.

It's why I tell people I don't think Sony is going to be aggressive in cutting the price anytime soon. They have no incentive to do so since Xbox is dead. The only thing I could envision pushing them to discount the price would be the Switch 2 selling a significant number of units to their target audience next year, but assuming it comes out in Spring and you have GTA6 around the corner for the fall, I would imagine you still wait...

• brain
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Perspective matters.

If Sony wants to sell more consoles, they need to actually release some games for once

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I didnt know Sony owned Shift Up,Square Enix and Koe Tecmo?
XDEV involved with 2 of these projects, you were quick to defends Nintendo's second party collaborations though.

might as well say Fire Emblem and Smash Bros "dont count".

Did you think the Ps2 was ass because 3rd parties carried its library?

Sony literally published 2 of those games, they are permanent console exclusives.

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
XDEV involved with 2 of these projects, you were quick to defends Nintendo's second party collaborations though.

might as well say Fire Emblem and Smash Bros "dont count".

Did you think the Ps2 was ass because 3rd parties carried its library?

Smash bros is a Nintendo IP, Are you trying to imply FF7 is a Sony IP? Lmao

Fanboy mental gymnastics....

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I didnt know Sony owned Shift Up,Square Enix and Koe Tecmo?

Who said they were?

3 published by Sony.

All console exclusives.

Concord and Astro Bot coming till september.

That’s 6 console exclusive games in 9 months.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Nioh never got ported outside of PC. Highly doubt Stellar Blade will.

PC is also a competitor to PS AND if it stays console exclusive it's not PS merit, it's only because of Xbox failure.