Opinion: Playstation Will Miss Sales Targets for 2024

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
It is also Co Developed by Sora LTD. Who make the kirby games. Why did you conveniently leave that part out?

Sora LTD is basically Sakurai (and his wife) as a consultation, his role is similar (more extensive) to Cerny or Myamoto supervising projects.

HAL does the Kirby games and owns 50% of that IP. They did the first two Smash Bros, Nintendo licenses out a lot of their IP in partnership or co-owns them. Intelligent Systems (not owned by Nintendo) made Fire Emblem with Koei Tecmo for example.

Double standards from the usual suspects as per usual. This doesn't count cause of this, but that counts cause of that. The dumbest comment I've read is that PS4 had better output than PS5 when it was mocked Indiestation 4 and had no competition with WiiU and Xbone.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: voke

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
It is also Co Developed by Sora LTD. Who make the kirby games. Why did you conveniently leave that part out?
Same way you conveniently leave out Sony XDEV for Rise of The Ronin and Stellar Blade. They take up a wide space of both games end credits. As for the reason, to sound just as ridiculous as you always do.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Sora LTD is basically Sakurai (and his wife) as a consultation, his role is similar (more extensive) to Cerny or Myamoto supervising projects.

HAL does the Kirby games and owns 50% of that IP. They did the first two Smash Bros, Nintendo licenses out a lot of their IP in partnership or co-owns them. Intelligent Systems (not owned by Nintendo) made Fire Emblem with Koei Tecmo for example.

Double standards from the usual suspects as per usual. This doesn't count cause of this, but that counts cause of that. The dumbest comment I've read is that PS4 had better output than PS5 when it was mocked Indiestation 4 and had no competition with WiiU and Xbone.
They don’t even realize that Nintendo has familiar second party tactics as Sony. As for why? Maybe because unlike Microsoft they aren’t a 3 trillion dollar company that can simply just own everything. But yeah, “doesn’t count” because it’s not 100% internal.

I’ve always referenced Ps2 to these dumb ass arguments, most of their exclusives were done by 3rd parties that gen. PS3 is where development became more internal and we didn’t really start to see the fruits of that until the second half of the gen.

Same thing as Ps4, it was coined indiestation 4 because it had “no games”, while that was also hyperbole, it’s also true that it didn’t have a new GT, God of War, Spider Man, Horizon, or (original) Ratchet & Clank game in the first 3 years.

As far as notable releases? You had Bloodborne, and Uncharted 4. That’s it. Ps5 whips and spanks Ps4 around early gen IMO, PC ports don’t change the fact that their output has been great, well, unless you’re a weirdo that likes seeing amazing games being gatekept from the wider community.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
If Helldivers had sold on PS4 it would have outsold the PC counterpart. Ironic given his overall argument and not understanding why games are cross-platform or multiplatform.

He said he reads results but can't explain why the PS5 is outselling the PS4 in North America and Japan.

Admitted he doesn't even know what launch aligned means and thinks it is corporate speak. Somehow he thinks everyone with a PS4 would have bought a PS5 within a year had it not been for crossgen and multiplatform games.
You can direct quote me instead of talking about me like a schoolgirl.

Helldivers would have outsold PC. It helps prove my point.

I can explain why the PS5 isn't outselling the PS4, you just don't want to hear the answer.

I never said I didn't know what launch aligned was. I asked what it was to have other people's words in writing of what they think it means and it is corporate speak. Any stat Vs stat that has caveats in there is corporate speak.

A significant percentage of PlayStation owners are still sat on their previous-gen consoles, 4 years into the next generation. Those players haven't clung on to a console in such numbers since granny kept her Wii.
There's only two reasons for that; 1) PS4 owners were a flash in the pan like Wii owners.
2) There's no incentive to buy a PS5 because of a lack of games and/or the price.

Seriously mush, if you're going to swing your dick around thinking you know it all, it might be worth you knowing something. Your seething and lack of knowledge indicates that this must be your first, maybe second, generation of gaming.

Were you alive during the launch of the OG PS1?

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

I can explain why the PS5 isn't outselling the PS4, you just don't want to hear the answer.

I never said I didn't know what launch aligned was. I asked what it was to have other people's words in writing of what they think it means and it is corporate speak. Any stat Vs stat that has caveats in there is corporate speak.

A significant percentage of PlayStation owners are still sat on their previous-gen consoles, 4 years into the next generation. Those players haven't clung on to a console in such numbers since granny kept her Wii.
There's only two reasons for that; 1) PS4 owners were a flash in the pan like Wii owners.
2) There's no incentive to buy a PS5 because of a lack of games and/or the price.

Seriously mush, if you're going to swing your dick around thinking you know it all, it might be worth you knowing something. Your seething and lack of knowledge indicates that this must be your first, maybe second, generation of gaming.

Ps5 LTD exceeds Ps4 in NA at $100 more, that doesn’t sound like a flash in the pan IMO. Also look to my previous post, because to me it sounds like you’re the one who wasn’t around previous gens. Maybe you’ve read so many forum buzzwords and consoles wars that you are now blind to the games right in front of you.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
You could argue that Building a PC gives access to more than what buying a PS5 would.
What you can't argue is people who already own a PS4 or PC would be spending 0 instead of £500

Helldivers 2 ain’t on PS4 and neither are future games.

They've bought their consoles; a switch and a PS4.

They’ve bought 60 million PS5s too.

The fact is, the PS5 is over-priced and offers little in the way of exclusives. FOMO and novelty; the reasons to buy a PS5 when it launched, have long passed.

Likewise so is a PC.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Ps5 LTD exceeds Ps4 in NA at $100 more, that doesn’t sound like a flash in the pan IMO. Also look to my previous post, because to me it sounds like you’re the one who wasn’t around previous gens. Maybe you’ve read so many forum buzzwords and consoles wars that you are now blind to the games right in front of you.
How's it doing in the rest of the world like Europe and Asia?
Are those PS5s sold to customer or shipped to stores?
What environments did PS5 and PS4 launched in comparatively?
Numbers mean nothing without context, which is why it's corporate speak.

9/10 people enjoy gang rape. Therefore, the majority agree gang rape is good.
Helldivers 2 ain’t on PS4 and neither are future games.
I know.
They’ve bought 60 million PS5s too.
Schroedinger's console; scalpers bought millions making it hard to get one, but scalpers didn't buy millions and inflate sales numbers.
Likewise so is a PC.
FOMO and novelty has run out on PC?

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
You keep fanboys this and fans that.

How about you steelman @Old Gamer position instead of strawmanning?

He doesn't speak about sold numbers but about Incentives, and he is right, there is less incentives, like 40% PS5 customers are new customers, what does that mean?
I won't answer that, i will let you to figure that out by yourself, in the end, we are just pesky little fanboys.

The fact that you're not talking about sales (although that's specifically what the topic is about) and talking about incentives is proof that you are in fact a fanboy.

When another device gets something you feel less incentivized despite the fact that you've lost nothing.

What incentive are you looking for exactly? We all know the answer to that.

The argument as disingenuous as it is, is that sony is making bad business decisions, but then the conversation shifts from a business one to ideology.

But the funniest part of this is that you're all still going to buy PlayStation consoles, because you're still fanboys, you're just looking to vent about it and get recognition from other fanboys... It's honestly sad.

• sad
Reactions: arvfab

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The fact that you're not talking about sales (although that's specifically what the topic is about) and talking about incentives is proof that you are in fact a fanboy.

When another device gets something you feel less incentivized despite the fact that you've lost nothing.

What incentive are you looking for exactly? We all know the answer to that.

The argument as disingenuous as it is, is that sony is making bad business decisions, but then the conversation shifts from a business one to ideology.

But the funniest part of this is that you're all still going to buy PlayStation consoles, because you're still fanboys, you're just looking to vent about it and get recognition from other fanboys... It's honestly sad.
You keep writing these bad faith comments. You can't see anything but red as bull, trying inject your narrative. While trying criticise fanboys as "rational" member, you, yourself write complete ass of comments and it is completely pathetic.
You couldn't answer the rhetorical question and proceeded to yapp about nothing.
We were talking about other customers and incentives to by X product. It doesn't matter what X product is. But who cares.

Reactions: Umar and Danja

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
You keep writing these bad faith comments. You can't see anything but red as bull, trying inject your narrative. While trying criticise fanboys as "rational" member, you, yourself write complete ass of comments and it is completely pathetic.
You couldn't answer the rhetorical question and proceeded to yapp about nothing.
We were talking about other customers and incentives to by X product. It doesn't matter what X product is. But who cares.

I can't even read this...

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Well, PS5 is ahead of PS4 in NA and Asia, so it's mostly in EU -at least some of its big countries- where still behind. It can be due to several reasons:
  • Want but can't upgrade because of getting fucked by economy/inflation/prices/etc., they may be waiting for better prices or to save some money to get it later
  • May be happy enough with great games still being released on PS4 or old GaaS still being supported, in addition to stuff they get in PS+
  • Related to the previous point, maybe there aren't enough next-gen only games (including here both exclusive and multiplatform) particularly appealing for the EU market
  • Maybe the extra benefits profived by crossgen and next gen only games (the extra visual quality -specially when many of them don't have 4K tvs-, faster loading, DualSense features) aren't appealing enough to make the jump
I assume that as next gen only supersellers like GTA6, Spider-Man 2, Helldivers 2, Star Wars Outlaws, EA FC, etc. kept being released and as top GaaS kept being discontinued in PS4 (I don't know if any of them plans to do it soon) they'll keep slowly migrating.

This year EA FC and AC starting to be next gen only, and next year same with GTA6 or Marathon (and maybe CoD) may be important tipping points that would many people want to jump to the next gen.

A price cut would help, specially considering that out of the main markets EU always pays the most expensive price for PS consoles. PS4 already had a $100 price cut at this point, while PS5 had a price increase instead because the rise on costs of mainly its components kept growing over time instead of decreasing as in all previous generation happened. That caused that they couldn't allow a price cut and instead had to rise the console so they limited to temporal smaller discounts instead.

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Well, PS5 is ahead of PS4 in NA and Asia, so it's mostly in EU -at least some big countries- where still behind. It can be due to several reasons:
  • Want but can't upgrade because of getting fucked by economy/inflation/prices/etc., they may be waiting for better prices or to save some money to get it later
  • May be happy enough with great games still being released on PS4 or old GaaS still being supported, in addition to stuff they get in PS+
  • Related to the previous point, maybe there aren't enough next-gen only games (including here both exclusive and multiplatform) particularly appealing for the EU market
  • Maybe the extra benefits profived by crossgen and next gen only games (the extra visual quality -specially when many of them don't have 4K tvs-, faster loading, DualSense features) aren't appealing enough to make the jump
I assume that as next gen only supersellers like GTA6, Spider-Man 2, Helldivers 2, Star Wars Outlaws, EA FC, etc. kept being released and as top GaaS kept being discontinued in PS4 (I don't know if any of them plans to do it soon) they'll keep slowly migrating.

This year EA FC and AC starting to be next gen only, and next year same with GTA6 or Marathon (and maybe CoD) may be important tipping points that would many people want to jump to the next gen.

A price cut would help, specially considering that out of the main markets EU always pays the most expensive price for PS consoles. PS4 already had a $100 price cut at this point, while PS5 had a price increase instead because the rise on costs of mainly its components kept growing over time instead of decreasing as in all previous generation happened. That caused that they couldn't allow a price cut and instead had to rise the console so they limited to temporal smaller discounts instead.

It's very interesting that these same people who ignore the fact that the PS5 is ahead in the US and Japan, ignore the fact that EA FC won't continue on PS4 moving forward this year, that GTA6 releases next year, and that the world cup is the year after that... all of which will be major drivers of PS5 sales in Europe.

Why would a company reduce price to increase demand when demand is already going to increase without reducing the price?

Maybe if your goal is to sell a certain number of units for bragging rights, but running a profitable and sustainable business? Yeah, not smart.

I think the first official price cut for the PS5 and PS5 Pro will be Fall/Winter 2026 depending on sales and that does not include promotions.

Even if Sony missed their targets this year, they're well positioned to sell significant units next year and the year after, especially with sturdier 1st party offerings.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
How's it doing in the rest of the world like Europe and Asia?
Are those PS5s sold to customer or shipped to stores?
What environments did PS5 and PS4 launched in comparatively?
Numbers mean nothing without context, which is why it's corporate speak.

9/10 people enjoy gang rape. Therefore, the majority agree gang rape is good.

I know.

Schroedinger's console; scalpers bought millions making it hard to get one, but scalpers didn't buy millions and inflate sales numbers.

FOMO and novelty has run out on PC?

Scalpers bought how much of the 60 million PS5 consoles?

You make it sound like nothing in console history has been scalped previously.

Spoken like a true Xbot. Sorry PCMR.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
What frustrates me the most is that PlayStation could be having some of it's best years if Sony had just kept focusing on had worked so far. They clearly have failed to expand enough to make up for how long games are taking to be made.

There is also something wrong with the whole PlayStation vibe, it's like they don't care about anything as they should and don't even care about hiding it from their main costumers.

I don't have much interest in most Nintendo games at this point but they are able to present themselves and communicate and cater to their users much better.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box and JAHGamer

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
What frustrates me the most is that PlayStation could be having some of it's best years if Sony had just kept focusing on had worked so far. They clearly have failed to expand enough to make up for how long games are taking to be made.

This isn't reality. AAA single player games aren't sustainable by themselves. It worked for them on PS3 towards the end and on PS4, but there is a ceiling to how much these games sell and with their rising costs there are diminishing returns. Simply expanding doesn't solve that problem.

What you fail to acknowledge is that the most profitable games are GaaS and that the best way to have a profitable GaaS game is to be on as many platforms as possible.

When your ideology is incongruent with reality, which wins?

Helldivers 2 might easily become the most successful game in PlayStation history. What does that tell you?

Continuing what they were doing would not increase TAM, which we've seen hasn't really increased in generations and would only decrease their marigns, making it MORE difficult for them to expand, making it MORE difficult for them to experiment, and making it MORE difficult for them to absorb failure.

There is also something wrong with the whole PlayStation vibe, it's like they don't care about anything as they should and don't even care about hiding it from their main costumers.

It's not them. It's you. It's a theme you continue. You think you're a main customer more so than someone who plays Warzone or EA FC. You're spending the same money, in fact, they might be spending more than you.

Your inability to recognize that basic reality creates an incongruency which prevents you from seeing the logic in Sony's "vibe"

I don't have much interest in most Nintendo games at this point but they are able to present themselves and communicate and cater to their users much better.

If Sony did half the things that Nintendo did, you'd be complaining even more.

Just look at Pokemon Arceus and their low grade quality efforts in gaming. Sony just couldn't get away with making games that look like they were made for PS3.

You complain about Sony not dropping the price of the PS5, where was the Switch price drop? What has Nintendo done to innovate the Switch since release?

Many of the practices that you give Sony the hardest time about, they learned from Nintendo.

I wish these people could have a moment of clarity and come back to real life. You're still thinking that somehow you're more core to Sony's business than the 10s of millions of people who play GaaS games.

• fire
  • sad
Reactions: Muddasar and arvfab

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's very interesting that these same people who ignore the fact that the PS5 is ahead in the US and Japan, ignore the fact that EA FC won't continue on PS4 moving forward this year, that GTA6 releases next year, and that the world cup is the year after that... all of which will be major drivers of PS5 sales in Europe.

Why would a company reduce price to increase demand when demand is already going to increase without reducing the price?

Maybe if your goal is to sell a certain number of units for bragging rights, but running a profitable and sustainable business? Yeah, not smart.

I think the first official price cut for the PS5 and PS5 Pro will be Fall/Winter 2026 depending on sales and that does not include promotions.

Even if Sony missed their targets this year, they're well positioned to sell significant units next year and the year after, especially with sturdier 1st party offerings.
Yep. Some people also thinks that PS5 didn't perform well this year because they missed their target, but even if they missed it the sales were great.

Regarding PS5 not performing as good as PS4 mostly due to Europe, I don't remember the country specific PS5 vs PS4 launch aligned sales comparision, but maybe it's mainly to underperforming in some big country. Do you remember these country specific numbers?

UK, Germany and France are by far the top 3 biggest European markets, followed by Italy and Spain (top 4 and 5, but traditionally each of these two countries represent only around 2% or less of the worldwide revenue in different gaming markets).