OT Drama | Other Gaming Forums (GAF, ResetERA, D-Pad, Twitter, etc..)

• Thread starter Deleted member 13
  • Start date

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I hate Microsoft for making the 30fps relevant again on Starfield and I hate Digital Foundry for this too.
I miss the days when people talked about games, gameplay and graphics, not shitty things like framerate and acquisitions.

Reactions: laynelane

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I hate Microsoft for making the 30fps relevant again on Starfield and I hate Digital Foundry for this too.
I miss the days when people talked about games, gameplay and graphics, not shitty things like framerate and acquisitions.
The acquisition fuels console wars which unfortunately does fuel web activity and engagement. It won’t always be this way, so if you want to talk about games then keep talking about them. The gaming world could always use more substantive content.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The acquisition fuels console wars which unfortunately does fuel web activity and engagement. It won’t always be this way, so if you want to talk about games then keep talking about them. The gaming world could always use more substantive content.

It's funny, I was explaining this to someone lastnight. This site was made in part to give playstation gamers a peaceful place to discuss gaming without other factions attacking them, entering into threads and disrupting them with trolling etc.

In part it's worked but there's definitely always going to be an element of console wars that fuels conversation, I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
It's funny, I was explaining this to someone lastnight. This site was made in part to give playstation gamers a peaceful place to discuss gaming without other factions attacking them, entering into threads and disrupting them with trolling etc.

In part it's worked but there's definitely always going to be an element of console wars that fuels conversation, I guess you have to take the good with the bad.
I thought the site was more GAF without the drama but it does make a lot of sense that it’s actually a PlayStation forum.

The most fervent supporters of PlayStation currently are console warriors, so engaging with them is like a constant rubrics cube of trying to figure out the right thing to say. So I personally would like to see a more general audience build up here but I understand if that’s not the intention.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I thought the site was more GAF without the drama but it does make a lot of sense that it’s actually a PlayStation forum.

The most fervent supporters of PlayStation currently are console warriors, so engaging with them is like a constant rubrics cube of trying to figure out the right thing to say. So I personally would like to see a more general audience build up here but I understand if that’s not the intention.

There are a few changes we made here... we try to have little to no politics for instance.

We have a few really great Xbox fans here too and they have been some of the best members and really patient with the PS fans here.

I think we have a few PC people on here too and some PS fans are PC gamers too along with Nintendo gamers. I have several Switch's in my house for instance.

But we definitely have work to do... the place is run as a passion project, so I think people will look and understand that there is no special treatment for payments or quid pro quo etc.

A lot of member feedback is taken onboard too and bans are really a last resort.

• Shake
Reactions: BroodCorp

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I don’t want to derail this thread, but I need to ask: We know Era is batshit crazy and no more than a corporate blog for MS at this point. But, what happened to GAF? I remember it being great from 2006-2015

Comment moved to correct thread - Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I don’t want to derail this thread, but I need to ask: We know Era is batshit crazy and no more than a corporate blog for MS at this point. But, what happened to GAF? I remember it being great from 2006-2015

Comment moved to correct thread - Mod

Yeah, Gaf was in full swing up until around 2015.... but around that time the moderators and members became more and more political and in 2017 there were allegations against Tyler that never panned out into anything serious.

But that was enough to start the exodus, Opencritic and a few others started forums but they were just used in the short-term until a few key people created Resetera.

Gaf was left behind with Tyler picking up the pieces.... he started letting new people into the forum, he also had some new mods. I joined in 2018, I believe.

The moderation was excellent at that time and there was a very good mix along the political spectrum and also the gaming spectrum.

Many people stuck by Gaf.... David Jaffe, ACG and lots of others.

After that, in 2020 or 2021 Tyler decided the political discourse had become too difficult to manage and there was a large clique of people there that he thought were too far to the right or just edgy in their views, he banned all or nearly all of them and they set up Dpad-Life.

The entire political chat was then nuked by Tyler. (Good decision IMO)

Then around the end of 2021 and into 2022, loads of PlayStation fans were banned.... Thelastword, Kretos, myself and lots of others.
One of our group started a discord to keep all the PS fans in contact and we also tracked down people that were banned but we had no details for.... we would sometimes comb through old posts for details like PSN names etc and then reach out.

Now we are in 2023 and it's coming back around, Tyler and the mods seem to be cracking down on Xbox shills etc. Tyler probably sees how things are going at Resetera and in general and sees the opportunity to attract people back.

I dunno if I gave you the info you were looking for but that is what I can provide. I have other info but it would take a long time to get everything down on here.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Yeah, Gaf was in full swing up until around 2015.... but around that time the moderators and members became more and more political and in 2017 there were allegations against Tyler that never panned out into anything serious.

But that was enough to start the exodus, Opencritic and a few others started forums but they were just used in the short-term until a few key people created Resetera.

Gaf was left behind with Tyler picking up the pieces.... he started letting new people into the forum, he also had some new mods. I joined in 2018, I believe.

The moderation was excellent at that time and there was a very good mix along the political spectrum and also the gaming spectrum.

Many people stuck by Gaf.... David Jaffe, ACG and lots of others.

After that, in 2020 or 2021 Tyler decided the political discourse had become too difficult to manage and there was a large clique of people there that he thought were too far to the right or just edgy in their views, he banned all or nearly all of them and they set up Dpad-Life.

The entire political chat was then nuked by Tyler. (Good decision IMO)

Then around the end of 2021 and into 2022, loads of PlayStation fans were banned.... Thelastword, Kretos, myself and lots of others.
One of our group started a discord to keep all the PS fans in contact and we also tracked down people that were banned but we had no details for.... we would sometimes comb through old posts for details like PSN names etc and then reach out.

Now we are in 2023 and it's coming back around, Tyler and the mods seem to be cracking down on Xbox shills etc. Tyler probably sees how things are going at Resetera and in general and sees the opportunity to attract people back.

I dunno if I gave you the info you were looking for but that is what I can provide. I have other info but it would take a long time to get everything down on here.

This is exactly the info I wanted. I appreciate you taking the time to write this update!

Reactions: Puff and Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
This is exactly the info I wanted. I appreciate you taking the time to write this update!

No problem.

As I said elsewhere, I always like Tyler and the staff there. 2018 on Gaf was one of the most fun times I've had on the net until I started this place.

Unfortunately when they started banning loads of PS fans.....they kinda split up the band, it hurt us all. So it didn't feel the same.

The only solution was for PlayStation fans to have their own place, where they came first and that is what I'm trying to do basically.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
No problem.

As I said elsewhere, I always like Tyler and the staff there. 2018 on Gaf was one of the most fun times I've had on the net until I started this place.

Unfortunately when they started banning loads of PS fans.....they kinda split up the band, it hurt us all. So it didn't feel the same.

The only solution was for PlayStation fans to have their own place, where they came first and that is what I'm trying to do basically.

It feels great to be here. I hanged out at Era for a bit and I always felt like walking on eggshells after a few bans for mildly criticizing MS’ gamepass strategy. Now that all the internal info is leaking thanks to the FTC, it turns out I was right lol

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It feels great to be here. I hanged out at Era for a bit and I always felt like walking on eggshells after a few bans for mildly criticizing MS’ gamepass strategy. Now that all the internal info is leaking thanks to the FTC, it turns out I was right lol

Oh, I didn't know you were on Era. So you went straight into Era and never heard or lurked on Gaf then....

I lurked on Gaf for years but I was very active on Twitter since 2012 / 2013 where I was very friendly with LED and AP99. I was more of just a troll back then though.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Oh, I didn't know you were on Era. So you went straight into Era and never heard or lurked on Gaf then....

I lurked on Gaf for years but I was very active on Twitter since 2012 / 2013 where I was very friendly with LED and AP99. I was more of just a troll back then though.

When GAF imploded I kind of stayed away from forums for a couple of years. When I was trying to get back, I went to Era first but it was very hostile for me. Then, I went back to the post implosion GAF, which was great, for a time, then it became kind of hostile too.

And finally, I found this place by chance in a twitter thread.

Last edited:
  • Shake