PC Gamer: Turns out Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart can run on a hard drive thanks to DirectStorage 1.2

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

When Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart was initially announced, Insomniac's creative director, Marcus Smith, said that the game's dimensional rift gameplay "would not have been possible without the solid-state drive of the PlayStation 5."

However, it turns out that it is indeed possible.

The blog post also confirmed that this would be the first game to utilize DirectStorage with GPU compression:

"DirectStorage is designed to leverage the speed of fast PCIe NVMe SSDs, but the technology is also compatible with SATA SSDs and even traditional hard disk drives. This means that Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC can utilize the same technology for loading data, regardless of the storage device in your system."

DirectStorage is a method for directly streaming data from an NVMe SSD to the GPU, bypassing the CPU and avoiding potential performance bottlenecks. This means that your GPU will handle decompressing game assets instead of your processor, improving performance.

AltWith DirectStorage 1.2, developers can now use the same code for HDDs as well. hough legacy HDDs previously had some level of DirectStorage support, developers just had to jump through some extra hoops to make it work.

Source

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Anyone with a half functioning brain knew the "magic ssd" or "magic I/O" was fanboy bs.

I wonder what they will invent for PS6 in 3 years.
Data streaming speed still has to make a difference... I mean, it makes a difference for everything in a computer.

So we shall wait to see exactly what it does to loading (is it completely seamless? Does it require a lower level of details? Does it require more memory so it can buffer more data in advance? Or how long are detailed objects/textures going to take to pop up? ... The popup thing after loading was already an issue before).

So sure, now let's hope Sony releases a PS4 version of the game!

ManPhlaps

Banned
19 Jul 2022
So denying their customers who hadn't had the chance to upgrade yet for no reason day one.

Good old Jim.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I knew it would I said when it released they couldve got it running on ps4 ... & starfield will run on a hard drive aswell even though it only mentions SSD on the pc specs

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony is making Microsoft's technology look better than Microsoft themselves ever could while also making themselves look like incompetent liars and undermining their own platform. Fantastic management and foresight
I think they are making themselves look like liars because that's what they are. This is not the first time they were caught deliberately lying this gen.

What is funny is that just like the whole hiding that some games were exclusive, they gain nothing from this.

Reactions: JAHGamer

ManPhlaps

Banned
19 Jul 2022
I think they are making themselves look like liars because that's what they are. This is not the first time they were caught deliberately lying this gen.

What is funny is that just like the whole hiding that some games were exclusive, they gain nothing from this.

Then stop being so emotionally invested in the company that is pissing you off.

Get some perspective.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Then stop being so emotionally invested in the company that is pissing you off.

Get some perspective.
So I can't complain when they are caught lying? I should just fall in line like Xbots? I rather not.

I'll no support this. I can't wait for Jim Ryan to get sacked.

Reactions: kuzon

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Where is the game running with Direct Storage 1.2? It just speculation without any showcase.

I mean an article based in it “can” instead showing the game running is not something you want to talk about.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Anyone with a half functioning brain knew the "magic ssd" or "magic I/O" was fanboy bs.

I wonder what they will invent for PS6 in 3 years.
You are an idiot. Shit is math is not about feelings.

So denying their customers who hadn't had the chance to upgrade yet for no reason day one.

Good old Jim.
Dude hdd can't barely keep up with last gen games. Let alone trying yo stream 4k textures. Also who gives a shit about people who had a chance to upgrade? Upgrade when the chance arrives. Who gives a shit

Banana

10 Jan 2023
There isn't magic ssd knob. There is speed numbers. Trying empty a bucket of water with a straw instead of a hose. Let's see how long it takes you
Yeah, 5.5gb.

Fanboys were saying it was better than any other gen 4 nvme.

Reactions: ManPhlaps

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023

Of course, all companies lie to an extent, its just that Sony doesn't care about making it blatantly obvious and all for the sake of a PC port that will sell terribly

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Yeah, 5.5gb.

Fanboys ? Lol the CEO of Epic Games is a fanboy? Linus Tech Tips is a fanboy ? Go watch Linus' PS5 SSD apology video so you can see how foolish you sound, it's not just about the SSD itself but how it interacted with the system as a whole.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yeah, 5.5gb.

It is. Directstorage takes both cpu and gpu resources to decompress data. You are getting lower overall performance with a regular ssd vs the ps5 one. The only difference is PCs can have more powerful parts that will have the headroom to do it