PC Gamer: Turns out Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart can run on a hard drive thanks to DirectStorage 1.2

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Even though it was fanboy bs, there are some on all of the major gaming sites that actually believed it would make a difference in visuals. The continuous arguing and bickering over its significance was exhausting.
No one said that. You are full of shit.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Anyone with a half functioning brain knew the "magic ssd" or "magic I/O" was fanboy bs.

I wonder what they will invent for PS6 in 3 years.
hardware facts and speeds are not fanboy bs lol. if PC hardware has matching speed and APIs, then it will run the same, if not then it will be slower. it's really not some gotcha that an exclusive can run on PC in 2023.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
No one said that. You are full of shit.
Lol nice gaslighting.
hardware facts and speeds are not fanboy bs lol. if PC hardware has matching speed and APIs, then it will run the same, if not then it will be slower. it's really not some gotcha that an exclusive can run on PC in 2023.
It is if the hype was saying their ssd was light years ahead of anything else.

Yes a video game console is superior to anything else out there.

I just hope sonycels can drop the power bs and go back to worrying about having good games.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Just because you’re a fanboy and can’t understand the specifications and how it works, doesn’t mean PS5 SSD and I/O doesn’t do what Sony says it can do.

The Last Of Us couldn’t even run properly on PC since the PS5 hardware decompression system can’t be done on PC.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I’m
Lol nice gaslighting.

It is if the hype was saying their ssd was light years ahead of anything else.

Yes a video game console is superior to anything else out there.

I just hope sonycels can drop the power bs and go back to worrying about having good games.
its not the ssd. It’s a standard ssd. It’s the custom decompression hardware between the ssd and the ram. It still does what they said it does.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I’m

its not the ssd. It’s a standard ssd. It’s the custom decompression hardware between the ssd and the ram. It still does what they said it does.
It actually isn't a standard ssd as far as the memory controller goes, iirc it has 12 channels vs normal ssds which are x4 or x8

Reactions: Umar

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
This is not going to be a good week for Sony, or PlayStation enthusiasts I feel. Time to batten down the hatches 😐
I don't see why. I've got both systems and I'm not into COD anyway. The only thing that will hurt is the Bethesda Games (i.e. Starfield) and Diablo/Overwatch - but like I said, I have both systems.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Go to NEOGaf and do a search for the game being reviewed by DF. You'll find it all there.
The SSD does actually allow graphics to be better in that it allows for higher density of high quality assets to be resident in memory, as you only need to keep a certain amount of things loaded. The difference is, on PC as long as you have enough RAM/VRAM it gives the same result. Also, the game has to be coded specifically to take advantage of that. That's why things like Horizon Forbidden West look so fucking ridiculously good, while your average 3rd party AAA looks only slightly better than last gen.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
The article title got its intended reception and its intended message effect.

Effective by the writer. It's PC Gamer, vested interest is PC, not Sony and PlayStation's perceived image. It's a dirty game for consumer minds where suckers eventually lose.

"But the money is "good"".... Hey what can you do right.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
The SSD does actually allow graphics to be better in that it allows for higher density of high quality assets to be resident in memory, as you only need to keep a certain amount of things loaded.
That may be the case, but we are struggling with rendering the scene even when we have those assets in the scene. I have yet to play a game at native 4k/60FPS with RT enabled. The Matrix demo proved even if you had the high end assets, these boxes are much more limited by their GPUs.

That's why things like Horizon Forbidden West look so fucking ridiculously good, while your average 3rd party AAA looks only slightly better than last gen.
Horizon looks great except for the lighting. But it's not using the SSD like R&C or Nanite.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That may be the case, but we are struggling with rendering the scene even when we have those assets in the scene. I have yet to play a game at native 4k/60FPS with RT enabled. The Matrix demo proved even if you had the high end assets, these boxes are much more limited by their GPUs.

Horizon looks great except for the lighting. But it's not using the SSD like R&C or Nanite.
The consoles don't have hardware for true RT, especially not at native 4k/60. You'd need bare minimum a 4080 for that, without enabling temporal upscaling. That's about double the horsepower in raster, and 3-4x as strong in RT as the consoles.

In fact you can argue that the "raytracing" that we have right now isn't true raytracing, as it relies on small amounts of rays being cast and run through a denoising filter. You'd need pathtraced lighting to get real "raytracing", and even a 4090 can't do that without enabling DLSS with frame gen.

Reactions: Frozone

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
The consoles don't have hardware for true RT, especially not at native 4k/60. You'd need bare minimum a 4080 for that, without enabling temporal upscaling. That's about double the horsepower in raster, and 3-4x as strong in RT as the consoles.

In fact you can argue that the "raytracing" that we have right now isn't true raytracing, as it relies on small amounts of rays being cast and run through a denoising filter. You'd need pathtraced lighting to get real "raytracing", and even a 4090 can't do that without enabling DLSS with frame gen.
Yup - sounds about right.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Just because you’re a fanboy and can’t understand the specifications and how it works, doesn’t mean PS5 SSD and I/O doesn’t do what Sony says it can do.

The Last Of Us couldn’t even run properly on PC since the PS5 hardware decompression system can’t be done on PC.
What am I a fanboy of?

TLOU runs fine on PC. It was a bad port when it came out but I think it's been fixed now.
I’m

Sure, but the fanboys took that and said it was some sort of super computer. You've seen them saying it here and neogaf.
It actually isn't a standard ssd as far as the memory controller goes, iirc it has 12 channels vs normal ssds which are x4 or x8
Zen 2 only has 16 lanes right? Idk how APUs factor into that vs dGPUs, but assuming an APU has the same limitations, that PS5 gpu has to be heavily bottlenecked. Then you also have to factor in the lanes for the second nvme.

Zen 3 has 20 lanes, giving you enough for the GPU (x16) and two x4 nvmes. Zen 4 has 28 gen 5 lanes.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Yeah, 5.5gb.

Fanboys were saying it was better than any other gen 4 nvme.
At the time it was announced it was faster than any customer level nvme drive, obviously by the time the PS5 shipped the story had changed... but at least the PS5 can be upgraded with one of these insanely fast and cheap new nvme drives.

That compression hardware is something that should not be forgotten, anything that doesn't need to be handled by the CPU/GPU makes them better at handling actual game logic and graphics tasks.

So let's wait and see what they mean by "can", in the PC realm being able to run a game with minimal requirements often means that you are willing to go pretty low.
It is. Directstorage takes both cpu and gpu resources to decompress data. You are getting lower overall performance with a regular ssd vs the ps5 one. The only difference is PCs can have more powerful parts that will have the headroom to do it
That 16 cores CPU has to be useful for something, same as that 4090!

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
What am I a fanboy of?

TLOU runs fine on PC. It was a bad port when it came out but I think it's been fixed now.

Sure, but the fanboys took that and said it was some sort of super computer. You've seen them saying it here and neogaf.

Zen 2 only has 16 lanes right? Idk how APUs factor into that vs dGPUs, but assuming an APU has the same limitations, that PS5 gpu has to be heavily bottlenecked. Then you also have to factor in the lanes for the second nvme.

Zen 3 has 20 lanes, giving you enough for the GPU (x16) and two x4 nvmes. Zen 4 has 28 gen 5 lanes.
The SSD isn't being directly controlled via the CPU on the PS5. That's why they have a custom i/o ASIC to manage all of it.