[PCgamer] AMD's gaming graphics business looks like it's in terminal decline

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
PC players are so averse to AMD GPUs that they might just as well focus everything on APUs. The ideal scenario would be for NVidia to be left alone as the only option for PC GPUs.

I changed from AMD to NVidia for the first time in 20+ years and I could not have been more underwhelmed and I regret it, ironically I had drastically more drivers issues with NVidia than with AMD and also problems with DisplayPort.

I've seen again and again PC players wanting AMD to become more competitive just so they could buy NVidia GPUs at a lower price. Since people love NVidia so much let them live by it.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
PC players are so averse to AMD GPUs that they might just as well focus everything on APUs. The ideal scenario would be for NVidia to be left alone as the only option for PC GPUs.

I changed from AMD to NVidia for the first time in 20+ years and I could not have been more underwhelmed and I regret it, ironically I had drastically more drivers issues with NVidia than with AMD and also problems with DisplayPort.

I've seen again and again PC players wanting AMD to become more competitive just so they could buy NVidia GPUs at a lower price. Since people love NVidia so much let them live by it.

To this day I don't get why cards like RX 470/480/570/580 werent more popular from the get go or at least as popular as stuff like the 1050 - 1050ti - 1060 3GB and 1060 6GB. Nvidia is better than AMD, lets get that out of the way. But not that much better where it gives them a carte blanche to dictate pricing. At least not in the low end/mainstream markets. Must be a distribution related matter.

AMD (intel as well) should focus on releasing 2 great price performance GPUs at true low end (180 USD or lower) and mainstream (300 USD or lower) markets. Dominate those markets and let NVIDIA have the performance crown/halo products.

AMD really dropped the ball with the 5500XT back in the day. It traded blows with the RX 580 when it should have smoked it.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
To this day I don't get why cards like RX 470/480/570/580 werent more popular from the get go or at least as popular as stuff like the 1050 - 1050ti - 1060 3GB and 1060 6GB. Nvidia is better than AMD, lets get that out of the way. But not that much better where it gives them a carte blanche to dictate pricing. At least not in the low end/mainstream markets. Must be a distribution related matter.

AMD (intel as well) should focus on releasing 2 great price performance GPUs at true low end (180 USD or lower) and mainstream (300 USD or lower) markets. Dominate those markets and let NVIDIA have the performance crown/halo products.

AMD really dropped the ball with the 5500XT back in the day. It traded blows with the RX 580 when it should have smoked it.
AMD for a long time has been better or at least competitive in a lot of segments but for people to even consider an AMD card it needs to be cheaper, perform considerably better and have answers for every proprietary technology NVidia impose on the market. AMD also needs to deal with a log FUD spread by NVidia fans.

Right now the only purpose AMD serves for most people is to keep NVidia from further increasing the prices of the GPUs people actually want.

Only a Ryzen like situation would change things for AMD but that is impossible at this point given how much big NVidia is and how much money they make.

Reactions: Systemshock2023
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
AMD for a long time has been better or at least competitive in a lot of segments but for people to even consider an AMD card it needs to be cheaper, perform considerably better and have answers for every proprietary technology NVidia impose on the market. AMD also needs to deal with a log FUD spread by NVidia fans.

Right now the only purpose AMD serves for most people is to keep NVidia from further increasing the prices of the GPUs people actually want.

Only a Ryzen like situation would change things for AMD but that is impossible at this point given how much big NVidia is and how much money they make.
Nah. People simply have bought into the nvidia cult marketing. Rdna2 was an amazing generation and no one bought it despite being 20% cheaper than the competition at the same performance level.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Nah. People simply have bought into the nvidia cult marketing. Rdna2 was an amazing generation and no one bought it despite being 20% cheaper than the competition at the same performance level.
How does that contradict what I said?

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I don't think being cheaper or better would really do anything for AMD. Ryzen wasn't better than intel at its launch.
Again that doesnt contradict what I said and if anything it is implied in what I said.

As someone who had a first gen Ryzen and moved to Intel after Bulldozer failed miserably, I strongly disagree that Ryzen were not better. Having the better product has nothing to do with having the fastest CPU. The AM4 platform was great all along.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Plextorage

Banned
26 Feb 2023
AMD should start asking Sony and MS for royalties on software and subscriptions sold. They have them by the balls

Not necessarily. Actually, AMD wouldn't survive without consoles till this day. Both companies comes hand to hand. Anyway, if AMD totally fumble in PC GPU market, what can happen is, Sony can buy their GPU department at least.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Funny how intel CPU's are falling behind AMD but in the GPU business nVidia is as usual running circles around them. If by chance consoles start using nvidia chipsets in the future this company is done for
Intel is only falling in tech.
Sales it is still over 60% Intel vs over 30% AMD in CPU market.

About nVidia in console... pretty hard... nVidia is too expensive to make in the $500 price range.
But it should be the best option in terms of tech... ARM CPU + nVidia GPU.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Not necessarily. Actually, AMD wouldn't survive without consoles till this day. Both companies comes hand to hand. Anyway, if AMD totally fumble in PC GPU market, what can happen is, Sony can buy their GPU department at least.
AMD needs their GPU department because of their CPUs, going all in on APUs is their best bet, consoles, portable PCs and notebooks are all great markets for APUs where they don't need to compete with NVidia directly.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Again that doesnt contradict what I said and if anything it is implied in what I said.

As someone who had a first gen Ryzen and moved to Intel after Bulldozer failed miserably, I strongly disagree that Ryzen were not better. Having the better product has nothing to do with having the fastest CPU. The AM4 platform was great all along.
having a long lasting platform makes sense for CPU, but the analogy doesn't work for GPUs. It also has nothing to do with how AMD GPUs can compete with nvidia ones, unless you're somehow implying that they should engineer a way to have drop-in upgrades on the same board? it wouldn't work.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
having a long lasting platform makes sense for CPU, but the analogy doesn't work for GPUs. It also has nothing to do with how AMD GPUs can compete with nvidia ones, unless you're somehow implying that they should engineer a way to have drop-in upgrades on the same board? it wouldn't work.
You seem to have a really hard time understanding simple things I write and looks like you are set on disagreeing with me even by repeating the same points I already made.

I specifically pointed out that even when they happened to have cheaper and more performant GPUs that never significantly helped them in terms of market share. Ryzen was drastically better than what Intel was offering and still took years for the market to get to terms with that.

Unless a miracle happens AMD just has no chance against NVidia, they work with completely different budgets for everything and the brand power of NVidia is gigantic. There is always going to be an excuse for people not to buy AMD and buy a NVidia GPU instead, it's an awful position for AMD to be at.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Intel is only falling in tech.
Sales it is still over 60% Intel vs over 30% AMD in CPU market.

About nVidia in console... pretty hard... nVidia is too expensive to make in the $500 price range.
But it should be the best option in terms of tech... ARM CPU + nVidia GPU.
Intel will continue to fall behind, the ryzen series was a complete game changer when it was released. Intel is too expensive for what they are offering and AMD is honestly much improved in the thermals department now than before and offer better performance for similar prices.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You seem to have a really hard time understanding simple things I write and looks like you are set on disagreeing with me even by repeating the same points I already made.

I specifically pointed out that even when they happened to have cheaper and more performant GPUs that never significantly helped them in terms of market share. Ryzen was drastically better than what Intel was offering and still took years for the market to get to terms with that.

Unless a miracle happens AMD just has no chance against NVidia, they work with completely different budgets for everything and the brand power of NVidia is gigantic. There is always going to be an excuse for people not to buy AMD and buy a NVidia GPU instead, it's an awful position for AMD to be at.
You: They need to be cheaper and better for people to buy them
Also you: "even when they happened to have cheaper and more performant GPUs that never significantly helped them"

come on man it's not that hard

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
You: They need to be cheaper and better for people to buy them
Also you: "even when they happened to have cheaper and more performant GPUs that never significantly helped them"

come on man it's not that hard
This is what I said "for people to even consider an AMD card it needs to be cheaper, perform considerably better and have answers for every proprietary technology NVidia impose on the market." That is just the current situation, I never suggest they should try to do that as that is already not working at all. My suggestion is that they should stop trying to compete with NVidia on the discrete GPU market and focus only where they have competitive advantage.

Whatever is it that NVidia is offering is always exactly want PC players demand, be it 3D vision, PhysX, Adaptive Sync instead of FreeSync, DLSS, Path Tracing (that GPUs can't even handle), etc. When AMD has an advantage nobody seems to care and will just accuse them of having bugged drivers as justification not to buy their GPUs.

• they're_right_you_know