Persona 3: Reload: Opening Movie Trailer Released

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
This stuff works to some degree, might not work the way MS wants tho. A bunch of people will go around thinking this game isn't on PlayStation even if the vast majority wouldn't buy the game anyway, will piss a lot of people off too since the vast majority of the audience is on PlayStation.

Not buying any of these games since they’re not on PS5.

Fuck you Sega.
Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

24 Jun 2022
Yeah this game's gonna be a B2P disaster for Atlus; probably not really even their fault since SEGA has domain over them with these types of deals.

I'll never understand SEGA's desire to artificially stagnant future growth of the IP on the platform where there are more RPG players in general, in favor of a moneyhat marketing deal that ignores said audience in the West because it's not on Xbox.

Hopefully it's not intentional sabotage to make a prospective acquisition more possible, because this kind of move would never get approved by shareholders and could leave the company in a position to getting sued.

Microsoft is desperately trying to pretend the game isn't coming to Playstation and steam.

Oh yeah, they're ignoring Steam as well. I may rip on PC (mainly Steam) people here and there ;), but that platform's also a much bigger potential audience for IP growth than Xbox.

So imagine shutting out both PlayStation AND Steam...and arguably Nintendo as well because I think this remake could've been doable on the Switch with some optimizations.

Reactions: laynelane

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Yeah this game's gonna be a B2P disaster for Atlus; probably not really even their fault since SEGA has domain over them with these types of deals.

I'll never understand SEGA's desire to artificially stagnant future growth of the IP on the platform where there are more RPG players in general, in favor of a moneyhat marketing deal that ignores said audience in the West because it's not on Xbox.

Hopefully it's not intentional sabotage to make a prospective acquisition more possible, because this kind of move would never get approved by shareholders and could leave the company in a position to getting sued.

Oh yeah, they're ignoring Steam as well. I may rip on PC (mainly Steam) people here and there ;), but that platform's also a much bigger potential audience for IP growth than Xbox.

So imagine shutting out both PlayStation AND Steam...and arguably Nintendo as well because I think this remake could've been doable on the Switch with some optimizations.
I think we have our answer.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
I was clearly being sarcastic about the game not being on PlayStation.

Since Sega wants to act stupid and support MS over the main fanbase for Atlus games, I can act stupid too and believe no Atlus game will be on PlayStation because of all the marketing.

I thought it was obvious.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022

Since Sega wants to act stupid and support MS over the main fanbase for Atlus games, I can act stupid too and believe no Atlus game will be on PlayStation because of all the marketing.

The deceptive marketing scheme is indeed disgusting.

They might as well never release anything on PS again. I won't support MS lackeys.

Fuck SEGA.

Reactions: On Demand

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
It’s not in the marketing videos. It’s not coming to PS5. I don’t know anything about any website.

As a long time Altus fan. I’m disappointed they are disrespecting the loyal PlayStation fanbase in favor of a console that doesn’t buy Japanese games.

Ah, gotcha. I'm pissed about this marketing deal too.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Lol are you serious? There's marketing on the PS channel as well. At least do the research before you meltdown. It's annoying how chummy they are with Xbox but they ARE still releasing everything on PlayStation.

Last I heard, they weren't even putting up videos on the PS channel. It's good to see there's been some change there.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022

Has there been any information on the terms of their agreement? It really doesn't make sense to prioritize marketing to the smallest user base - and to a service that cannibalizes sales. As well, this game is more expensive and risky than the remasters they released before.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

fair enough.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

Yeah, trying to expand your audience by throwing your existing one under the bus is really dumb.

24 Jun 2022
Has there been any information on the terms of their agreement? It really doesn't make sense to prioritize marketing to the smallest user base - and to a service that cannibalizes sales. As well, this game is more expensive and risky than the remasters they released before.

Well, from what I understand, it's an extension of the Sega & Azure 'strategic partnership' that was formally announced in early 2022 (initially announced in late 2021), and which the Xbox division was specifically used (such as Sarah Bond) in order to get the partnership in place.

I always took it (well, after initial thoughts of OG Xbox-style exclusives of smaller Sega IP were dashed) to mean that there's be a lot of Sega/Atlus stuff for Game Pass. And that's more or less been happening. But I guess it also extends to Western marketing for games like Persona as well. I might be wrong on the following, but during the FTC hearings some documents came out showing the terms between Microsoft and Sega for their Game Pass deal.

The following is regarding Yakuza: Like A Dragon's timed next-gen exclusivity for Xbox Series in the West:

When Yakuza: Like a Dragon was announced as an exclusive launch title for the Xbox Series X and S, it was certainly met with confusion. While it remained a mystery for years, the big Xbox document leaks finally clarified the matter.

Emails between Xbox executives Phil Spencer, Sarah Bond, and Damon Baker confirmed that the game's four-month timed exclusivity period was, from Microsoft's point of view, an "added bonus."

The breakdown is convoluted, but in short, when Like a Dragon was released on PS4 exclusively in Japan, Microsoft was barred from releasing an Xbox version in Japan until the one-year exclusivity ended. Due to the terms in Microsoft's parity clause with Sega, Sony was blocked from releasing a PS5 version in Japan until Microsoft did the same. With a PS5 version not ready, Microsoft's "added bonus" of a four-month timed exclusivity in the West.

So it seems like whereas Sony did a timed exclusivity deal, Microsoft effectively got the same through a parity clause because the PS5 version of LAD wasn't ready yet at the time. I'm assuming the PS5 version was a unique build, whereas the Series versions were just the XBO version with BC upgrades, hence how MS got 4 months timed exclusivity.

You can also check out this thread which goes into the details regarding RGG Studios & Xbox. To my knowledge, this parity clause hasn't been confirmed yet for IP beyond Yakuza but I wouldn't be surprised if it's being enforced on those games (hence why I have many doubts Persona 6 is a timed PS5 exclusive). Combined with the Azure deal that leveraged the Xbox Game Pass unit, I suspect this tied into securing Western marketing rights for various Sega/Atlus titles by Microsoft, which includes Persona 3 Reloaded.

Although I suspect it's basically like an overly extended embargo, where closer to the Western launches Sony can actually advertise those games directly in their own marketing, like they've done recently for the new Yakuza game.

Reactions: laynelane

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Well, from what I understand, it's an extension of the Sega & Azure 'strategic partnership' that was formally announced in early 2022 (initially announced in late 2021), and which the Xbox division was specifically used (such as Sarah Bond) in order to get the partnership in place.

I always took it (well, after initial thoughts of OG Xbox-style exclusives of smaller Sega IP were dashed) to mean that there's be a lot of Sega/Atlus stuff for Game Pass. And that's more or less been happening. But I guess it also extends to Western marketing for games like Persona as well. I might be wrong on the following, but during the FTC hearings some documents came out showing the terms between Microsoft and Sega for their Game Pass deal.

The following is regarding Yakuza: Like A Dragon's timed next-gen exclusivity for Xbox Series in the West:

So it seems like whereas Sony did a timed exclusivity deal, Microsoft effectively got the same through a parity clause because the PS5 version of LAD wasn't ready yet at the time. I'm assuming the PS5 version was a unique build, whereas the Series versions were just the XBO version with BC upgrades, hence how MS got 4 months timed exclusivity.

You can also check out this thread which goes into the details regarding RGG Studios & Xbox. To my knowledge, this parity clause hasn't been confirmed yet for IP beyond Yakuza but I wouldn't be surprised if it's being enforced on those games (hence why I have many doubts Persona 6 is a timed PS5 exclusive). Combined with the Azure deal that leveraged the Xbox Game Pass unit, I suspect this tied into securing Western marketing rights for various Sega/Atlus titles by Microsoft, which includes Persona 3 Reloaded.

Although I suspect it's basically like an overly extended embargo, where closer to the Western launches Sony can actually advertise those games directly in their own marketing, like they've done recently for the new Yakuza game.
Painting PlayStation as the villain in the media while doing things far worse.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
The games media's complicity in that bullshit is the worst thing I have seen in the time I have been playing video games, and that goes back to 1980.
There is no universe where timed exclusivity is more harmful than buying entire publishers. Resetera gaslight people super hard with that narrative.

It's also funny that even parts of reddit are criticizing MS for making Atlus pretend like Persona is exclusive.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
There is no universe where timed exclusivity is more harmful than buying entire publishers. Resetera gaslight people super hard with that narrative.

It's also funny that even parts of reddit are criticizing MS for making Atlus pretend like Persona is exclusive.
I just love the disingenuous bullshit that a game being on Xbox and Windows is somehow more accessible and everything is peachy, while conveniently omitting that a game released only on those platforms is totally beholden to Microsoft either way.

PC is NOT an open platform, it is still Microsoft's sandbox.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
There is no PS5 version of Persona games or their new IP. It’s not in any of the marketing.

Sega doesn't want the fanbase’s money that built up Atlus’s games for decades.

Persona used to be exclusive to Sony until Sega bought Atlus
Lol are you serious? There's marketing on the PS channel as well. At least do the research before you meltdown. It's annoying how chummy they are with Xbox but they ARE still releasing everything on PlayStation.

They are forced to wait 72 hours to post these