Persona 3: Reload: Opening Movie Trailer Released

24 Jun 2022
There is no universe where timed exclusivity is more harmful than buying entire publishers. Resetera gaslight people super hard with that narrative.

It's also funny that even parts of reddit are criticizing MS for making Atlus pretend like Persona is exclusive.

Well, when we say "ResetERA", I think it helps to name the specific users, because it's not all the users who buy into that BS. However a huge chunk of the PS fanbase have either left the forum or aren't active there anymore, because virtually anything that's slightly critical of Microsoft or openly positive about PlayStation, you have to walk on eggshells to talk about around there.

Between blatant fanboys like christocolus & Yoga Flame, and disingenuous two-faced 'fans' like Shoot & Tru1paya, the forum's infested with that ilk. But when you have admin like Ghostcrew and moderators like Judge on staff, is anyone really surprised?

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Persona used to be exclusive to Sony until Sega bought Atlus

They are forced to wait 72 hours to post these
Not relevant to the point I was making. It's not exclusive even though MS likes to pretend like it is.

Either way I was replying to On Demand when I though he was being serious about thinking the game was exclusive.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Well, from what I understand, it's an extension of the Sega & Azure 'strategic partnership' that was formally announced in early 2022 (initially announced in late 2021), and which the Xbox division was specifically used (such as Sarah Bond) in order to get the partnership in place.

I always took it (well, after initial thoughts of OG Xbox-style exclusives of smaller Sega IP were dashed) to mean that there's be a lot of Sega/Atlus stuff for Game Pass. And that's more or less been happening. But I guess it also extends to Western marketing for games like Persona as well. I might be wrong on the following, but during the FTC hearings some documents came out showing the terms between Microsoft and Sega for their Game Pass deal.

The following is regarding Yakuza: Like A Dragon's timed next-gen exclusivity for Xbox Series in the West:

So it seems like whereas Sony did a timed exclusivity deal, Microsoft effectively got the same through a parity clause because the PS5 version of LAD wasn't ready yet at the time. I'm assuming the PS5 version was a unique build, whereas the Series versions were just the XBO version with BC upgrades, hence how MS got 4 months timed exclusivity.

You can also check out this thread which goes into the details regarding RGG Studios & Xbox. To my knowledge, this parity clause hasn't been confirmed yet for IP beyond Yakuza but I wouldn't be surprised if it's being enforced on those games (hence why I have many doubts Persona 6 is a timed PS5 exclusive). Combined with the Azure deal that leveraged the Xbox Game Pass unit, I suspect this tied into securing Western marketing rights for various Sega/Atlus titles by Microsoft, which includes Persona 3 Reloaded.

Although I suspect it's basically like an overly extended embargo, where closer to the Western launches Sony can actually advertise those games directly in their own marketing, like they've done recently for the new Yakuza game.

Thank you for all the information. It sounds like the Azure deal was the starting point and gave MS quite a bit of leverage. Atlus has always been a bit irregular in how they do exclusives. Persona was Sony, but SMT was Sony (eg. SMT Nocture) and then Nintendo exclusive for later titles. Not surprised to see MS fixated on Sony for this deal, though. After the FTC trial, it's extremely apparent how badly they want to beat Sony.

I don't have an issue so much with games releasing on Xbox, but I do have a problem with preferential treatment for the least popular platform that had nothing to do with the success of these Sega titles. It's typical MS scummy tactics, but it's disappointing that Sega agreed to engage with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dabaus

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
It's also funny that even parts of reddit are criticizing MS for making Atlus pretend like Persona is exclusive.

It's good that people are noticing this. I left a comment on the video in the OP. Just noted that it was weird that I had to use google to find out all the platforms the game is releasing on. Atlus fans are a dedicated lot and I hope more of them notice and speak up about this.

Reactions: Box