Persona 6 rumour (PS5 exclusive?)

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
You imagine incorrectly if Bethesda sales on PS are anything to go by. Xbox is the smallest individual platform for Minecraft, which is the single largest game Microsoft owns. Switch, mobile, PC and PlayStation all generate more revenue for that title, and Xbox keeps 70+% of revenues there, so need to sell more than 2x fewer copies/items to make more money there than on Xbox native third party titles.

Face it. Xbox is a better third party publisher than a platform.

Their revenue growth is all through acquisitions of third party content.
This is simple mathematics, no need to obfuscate things. Are you really saying that most of Xbox's revenue minus revenue gained from PC, a total of $14B-$15B, comes from PlayStation as opposed to royalties from sales on their platform, Game Pass and hardware sales? Come on man. Maybe you are the one who needs to face reality. If that were true it'd make Xbox PlayStation's biggest 3rd party partner by far. Keep in mind Activision, who is actually PS's biggest 3rd party partner, has a total annual revenue of around $8B which comes from a combination of mobile, PC, PS and Xbox.

• haha
Reactions: BigMclargeHuge

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
This is simple mathematics, no need to obfuscate things. Are you really saying that most of Xbox's revenue minus revenue gained from PC, a total of $14B-$15B, comes from PlayStation as opposed to royalties from sales on their platform, Game Pass and hardware sales? Come on man. Maybe you are the one who needs to face reality. If that were true it'd make Xbox PlayStation's biggest 3rd party partner by far. Keep in mind Activision, who is actually PS's biggest 3rd party partner, has a total annual revenue of around $8B which comes from a combination of mobile, PC, PS and Xbox.
No, I think game pass and hardware sales also contribute to their revenue. I don't think they make most of their game content revenue on PlayStation, but on all other platforms.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
"Nothing risky about Elden ring"? New IP and the Souls games weren't as bankable as the very established Final Fantasy brand.

Dude Demon's Souls 3 sold as many copies as all the other recent Final Fantasy games: 10 million lifetime.

Stop it. There was nothing "risky" about Elden Ring. Open-world take on a beloved cult franchise that had already been seeing regular growth years prior. "New IP" built off the reputation of established IP and with several years of hype in its own right. Elden Ring was always going to move big numbers.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

catchew

8 Jun 2023
i know its a good thing people get to enjoy the games- i get that. but deep bottom of the barrel it feels like that reception isn't equal from sega. smt is locked on nintendo. i really expected smt v coming to other platforms. which makes me feel they should have left persona alone. either you go full multiplat or don't at all. i cant rely on the rumor. i thought megaten fans would embrace the exchange. but damn its one sided lol. something must have gone sour for sega.
hopefully it's true.

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
Dude Demon's Souls 3 sold as many copies as all the other recent Final Fantasy games: 10 million lifetime.

Stop it. There was nothing "risky" about Elden Ring. Open-world take on a beloved cult franchise that had already been seeing regular growth years prior. "New IP" built off the reputation of established IP and with several years of hype in its own right. Elden Ring was always going to move big numbers.
You know guys, there's the 2nd half of the equation where you need to show how FF16 was soo risky that Square Enix had to make a deal with Sony for exclusivity. I wasn't the one who brought up risk in the conversation. I simply pointed out that if FF16 is too risky, then ER would have looked even riskier. I like to point to concrete things when I make an argument, From Software's last game release before ER was Sekiro, a new IP that managed to sell up to 5 million copies, before that was DS3, an established franchise that sold 10M copies. For Square Enix, FF15 managed to sell 10M. The pattern here suggests that ER would have seemed riskier than FF16. The only argument that can possibly counter this is that FF16 had access to a smaller market(next-gen only) but that still wouldn't warrant an exclusivity deal as there are studios like Asobo who released expensive next-gen only titles like Plague Tale Requiem

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
Elden Ring was an even riskier game to make yet From Software marketed it well and did not require an exclusivity deal. Alienating PC and Xbox customers does more harm to your company that the short-term gain of Sony's marketing/development support.
I bet the new Armored Core sells like crazy, just on the dev name alone and some souls mechanics in the game.
Even though the series was always very niche and has fallen from grace IMO a long time ago, this will be their best selling one in the decades old franchise. Meaning to say that even niche and not very popular titles tend to do very good on the popularity of the devs alone. Let alone a title like ER, who was a popular game type and had R.R. Martin's name attached to it. Not very risky.

24 Jun 2022
You know guys, there's the 2nd half of the equation where you need to show how FF16 was soo risky that Square Enix had to make a deal with Sony for exclusivity. I wasn't the one who brought up risk in the conversation. I simply pointed out that if FF16 is too risky, then ER would have looked even riskier. I like to point to concrete things when I make an argument, From Software's last game release before ER was Sekiro, a new IP that managed to sell up to 5 million copies, before that was DS3, an established franchise that sold 10M copies. For Square Enix, FF15 managed to sell 10M. The pattern here suggests that ER would have seemed riskier than FF16. The only argument that can possibly counter this is that FF16 had access to a smaller market(next-gen only) but that still wouldn't warrant an exclusivity deal as there are studios like Asobo who released expensive next-gen only titles like Plague Tale Requiem

1: Elden Ring is strongly Dark Souls-adjacent. It is literally open-world Dark Souls. EVERYBODY knew this from the jump. It has much more in common with those games than Sekiro.

2: Elden Ring was always a multiplat release, also on last-gen systems too. FF XVI was always a current gen-only game, timed exclusive to PS5. 200+ million systems to sell to is significantly less risky than ~ 40 million to sell to. Simple mathematics.

3: Plague Tale: Requiem is a somewhat higher-budget AA game. It does not have the budget costs of FF XVI or Elden Ring. It is a much smaller game than both in nature.

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
Elden Ring was always a multiplat release, also on last-gen systems too.
200+ million systems to sell to is significantly less risky than ~ 40 million to sell to. Simple mathematics.
FF16 should have been a multiplat as well to reduce the risk. At the very least release on PC. Imagine how supporters of the FF franchise of PC and Xbox feel about the deal to have FF16 not released on their platform.
Plague Tale: Requiem is a somewhat higher-budget AA game
SE has more money to invest in marketing and selling its game better than Focus Entertainment. FF is a more established brand than Plague Tale.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Don't really care if it's exclusive to ps5 or not, just want it to come out or at least get some concrete info.

24 Jun 2022
FF16 should have been a multiplat as well to reduce the risk. At the very least release on PC. Imagine how supporters of the FF franchise of PC and Xbox feel about the deal to have FF16 not released on their platform.

Then they either act like adults and get a PS5 to play the game (most of them likely already have one), or act like adults and patiently wait for one day the game releases on their platform.

What they don't do is act like spoiled kids, cry online, try making negative stories about its sales and blaming Sony/PlayStation, and constantly find ways to attack the game until it gets announced for their platform of choice. Not only is that childish, it's revolting.

SE has more money to invest in marketing and selling its game better than Focus Entertainment. FF is a more established brand than Plague Tale.

And? Focus Entertainment chose their way to do things for Plague's Tale: Requiem; Square-Enix chose their way to do things for Final Fantasy XVI. Both are valid strategies.

But it's clear you have an issue with only one of them, and for obvious reasons which are at the very least somewhat laughable.

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
Then they either act like adults and get a PS5 to play the game (most of them likely already have one), or act like adults and patiently wait for one day the game releases on their platform.

What they don't do is act like spoiled kids, cry online, try making negative stories about its sales and blaming Sony/PlayStation, and constantly find ways to attack the game until it gets announced for their platform of choice. Not only is that childish, it's revolting.

And? Focus Entertainment chose their way to do things for Plague's Tale: Requiem; Square-Enix chose their way to do things for Final Fantasy XVI. Both are valid strategies.

But it's clear you have an issue with only one of them, and for obvious reasons which are at the very least somewhat laughable.
It's legitimate for fans of a franchise to voice their complaint if a previously multiplatform game goes exclusive. It doesn't make you less of an adult. You might be ok with the practice, but at least try to understand that people have an issue with it especially if it's a publisher doing it. With these deals, there's potential for SE to develop an unhealthy dependence on the PS platform, which isn't good for the industry in general.

• haha
Reactions: BigMclargeHuge