Phil Spencer and Sarah Bond visiting Square Enix

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Phil Spencer getting around in Japan
hey Phil can you remind Square that Crystal Chronicles Remastered exists so they can put it on PC?
better yet, remind them that there are other Crystal Chronicles games out there so we can get remasters of My Life As a King/Darklord and The Crystal Bearers

• haha
Reactions: Exicide

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Phil Spencer getting around in Japan
hey Phil can you remind Square that Crystal Chronicles Remastered exists so they can put it on PC?
better yet, remind them that there are other Crystal Chronicles games out there so we can get remasters of My Life As a King/Darklord and The Crystal Bearers
actually remind them that Adventures of Mana exists and free it from Vita jail

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
actually remind them that Adventures of Mana exists and free it from Vita jail
Vita is not a prison, it's an island.

A beautiful island.
Cbs Love GIF by LoveIslandUSA

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I wouldnt be surprised if SE does get gobbled up by MS at this point. Sony should make an example out of these publishers whenever they do this type of public backstabbing by whenever their next game comes out, Sony not advertise it on the home screen or PS store.
On top of the fact they didn't agree to participate in Astro Bot... So sad.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I wouldnt be surprised if SE does get gobbled up by MS at this point. Sony should make an example out of these publishers whenever they do this type of public backstabbing by whenever their next game comes out, Sony not advertise it on the home screen or PS store.
Not happening dude. JFTC would block Microsoft's attempt. It's about getting FF16, FF7R and future Square Enix title on Xbox too.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Will try to explain this to people.

Businesses don't run on console wars.

Square Enix is hurting financially and likely Sony has said no more exclusivity deals with Square Enix. They simply aren't worth it. Square loves getting other companies to pay their development costs, but these games just don't sell that well.

Square Enix can't afford not to have some level of sponsorship, so Microsoft comes in and fills a need, but in order to get games like FF16 on Xbox Series, Microsoft is going to have to pay for the development and marketing. That's what meetings like this are about. The Series S is going to be a problem no matter what though. I would not be surprised if by mid 2025 Microsoft has officially dropped the mandate for the Series S. It'll impact games like FF16, but more importantly GTA6.

Sony likely has the 3rd FF7 remake booked up as an exclusive, but after that exclusivity period is over, they'll do a trilogy release on Xbox, but we're a long ways away from that. At least 3-4 years.

What Xbox wants is to get these games in large part on Xbox and marketing deals so that they can do better in Asia and Japan in particular. It's no different from the deals they did with Atlus. So you'll see more of Square's games end up on GamePass, buy the reality is that Square doesn't have any games.

Outside of FF they have DQ and KH. So at best you're looking at marketing deals for Kingdom Hearts 4, Dragon Quest 12, and Final Fantasy 17.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
With what Microsoft did to Tango Gamework I don’t know why any Japanese game company would want to entertain the idea of wanting to be acquired by them. Xbox has failed miserably to gain a foothold in Japan. Three generations to do so and not much out of it.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Will try to explain this to people.

Businesses don't run on console wars.

Square Enix is hurting financially and likely Sony has said no more exclusivity deals with Square Enix. They simply aren't worth it. Square loves getting other companies to pay their development costs, but these games just don't sell that well.

Square Enix can't afford not to have some level of sponsorship, so Microsoft comes in and fills a need, but in order to get games like FF16 on Xbox Series, Microsoft is going to have to pay for the development and marketing. That's what meetings like this are about. The Series S is going to be a problem no matter what though. I would not be surprised if by mid 2025 Microsoft has officially dropped the mandate for the Series S. It'll impact games like FF16, but more importantly GTA6.

Sony likely has the 3rd FF7 remake booked up as an exclusive, but after that exclusivity period is over, they'll do a trilogy release on Xbox, but we're a long ways away from that. At least 3-4 years.

What Xbox wants is to get these games in large part on Xbox and marketing deals so that they can do better in Asia and Japan in particular. It's no different from the deals they did with Atlus. So you'll see more of Square's games end up on GamePass, buy the reality is that Square doesn't have any games.

Outside of FF they have DQ and KH. So at best you're looking at marketing deals for Kingdom Hearts 4, Dragon Quest 12, and Final Fantasy 17.
I agree with your first part but, Why wouldnt sony already have at leas tone or 2 of those locked down already?

Reactions: Bryank75