Phil Spencer and Sarah Bond visiting Square Enix

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
I wouldnt be surprised if SE does get gobbled up by MS at this point. Sony should make an example out of these publishers whenever they do this type of public backstabbing by whenever their next game comes out, Sony not advertise it on the home screen or PS store.

You're asking for a Sony/SIE that aren't complacent in a duopoly with Microsoft. That PlayStation no longer exists.

Granted I don't think SE meeting with MS people is "backstabbing" per se; the optics that MS want to sell with it and how it's peddled by Western games media & influencers to either subtly or explicitly console war, definitely shows SE are at least stupid stooges to be used as pawns in such a thing.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You're asking for a Sony/SIE that aren't complacent in a duopoly with Microsoft. That PlayStation no longer exists.

Granted I don't think SE meeting with MS people is "backstabbing" per se; the optics that MS want to sell with it and how it's peddled by Western games media & influencers to either subtly or explicitly console war, definitely shows SE are at least stupid stooges to be used as pawns in such a thing.
From SE's vantage point it might be subtle pressure to get Sony to open the pocketbook for more exclusivity, like some girls might flirt with random dudes to get their boyfriends jealous.

I doubt it'll work given current Sony though.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Talking is one thing, action is another.

MS can beg for whatever they want. Reality says it’s not worth it to put any effort into Xbox.

As a business it makes sense to accept a meeting. It’s also a business to see should we even do what was said. Especially since that business already has 2 platforms where their audience is.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
From SE's vantage point it might be subtle pressure to get Sony to open the pocketbook for more exclusivity, like some girls might flirt with random dudes to get their boyfriends jealous.

They do give that kind of energy lately. I wonder if Sony has stopped any future exclusive deals with SE? Besides the FF7 trilogy.

Game Director / SQUARE ENIX

Lol. This guy made fun of Phil Spencer last week.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
What JRPGs would Sony have that they don't currently have? And it what way would those games change the currently dynamic?
For a lot of fanboys it’s not about what Sony already have coming to their platform but rather just wanting to see full ownership of those IPs under Sony. As far as a new dynamic coming out of Sony having Square under their umbrella? Well, some folks are enticed of the idea that having a JRPG studio could result in Sony creating new IPs for that genre.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
For a lot of fanboys it’s not about what Sony already have coming to their platform but rather just wanting to see full ownership of those IPs under Sony. As far as a new dynamic coming out of Sony having Square under their umbrella? Well, some folks are enticed of the idea that having a JRPG studio could result in Sony creating new IPs for that genre.

People need to stop acting like children. And no Square Enix wouldn't magically start making new IP under Sony.

Just play the games and enjoy them if you like them. It's not about who can't play them. Gaming needs a reboot.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
People need to stop acting like children. And no Square Enix wouldn't magically start making new IP under Sony.

Just play the games and enjoy them if you like them. It's not about who can't play them. Gaming needs a reboot.
Where is your evidence that Square Enix wouldn't fo this? Square Enix would have different work conditions under Sony's umbrella. Of course if Sony would buy them they would primarily woek on JRPGs old and new ones.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Where is your evidence that Square Enix wouldn't fo this? Square Enix would have different work conditions under Sony's umbrella. Of course if Sony would buy them they would primarily woek on JRPGs old and new ones.

What Sony studio do you think reflects a good example of this?

When they bought Naughty Dog, did they focus on making platformers? Is Housemarque going to focus on making arcade games?

I'm actually sad for you that you live in this delusion.

Square Enix would continue making the games its currently making and the more these games flop, the more Sony would make cuts and at the end of the day, you're going to see more of a focus on FF, DQ, and KH to try and right the ship.

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
I wouldnt be surprised if SE does get gobbled up by MS at this point. Sony should make an example out of these publishers whenever they do this type of public backstabbing by whenever their next game comes out, Sony not advertise it on the home screen or PS store.

Neither Sony nor MS are that stupid. In the end, Sony wants to make money, so they don't care if SE is cozying up to MS. If Sony were vindictive, they would have fired Arrowhead long ago and set up their own support team for Helldivers 2, after throwing Sony under the bus.

In my opinion, this is final proof that it wasn't SE who decided not to do exclusive deals with Sony, but Sony is no longer interested in giving SE money for exclusivity when there is no competition anyway. None of the deals have really paid off for Sony. The FF7 remake had problems with development at the start and only came out 5 years after it was announced. FF16 and Rebirth probably hardly sold any systems. Sony was probably hoping to be successful with them in Japan, the PS5 was already successful in Europe and the USA, but in the end even a Stellar Blade probably led to more consoles being sold in Japan than FF16.

I have to ask myself what Team Xbox still wants from them. There is probably nothing in Japan that could make the Xbox popular there. They tried that over 20 years ago with various exclusives like Ninja Gaiden, DoA, various Sega titles and on the 360 with LO, Blue Dragon and FF13: All of them largely failed, except in the USA. SE is unlikely to offer an exclusive game like FF17, as that would mean admitting that the new "multiplatform strategy" is not entirely voluntary, and various ports don't seem to interest anyone anymore.

But that's also typical of Xbox. While one of the "most important" MS games is getting an expansion that seems to be a complete flop with critics and players, Team Green is begging in Japan. This shows the leadership qualities of Spencer and Co. Or both knew how crap and overpriced the Starfield expansion is and fled to Japan.

• brain

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022

Yeah Sony/SIE'd be smarter doing so co-developed exclusivity with Level 5 and the Granblue Fantasy folks. Build up new JRPG IPs with new teams that don't have the baggage of FF and SE.

I mean FF's name still means a lot, clearly. But the franchise has an identity & consistency problem that SE have to sort out themselves.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Yeah Sony/SIE'd be smarter doing so co-developed exclusivity with Level 5 and the Granblue Fantasy folks. Build up new JRPG IPs with new teams that don't have the baggage of FF and SE.

I mean FF's name still means a lot, clearly. But the franchise has an identity & consistency problem that SE have to sort out themselves.

JRPGs just aren't selling like they used to. A lot of that is the fault of Square Enix who divided the JRPG fanbase between PS4/5 and 3DS/Switch.

Hard for a genre to grow with a divided consumer base. There is a general ceiling for JRPGs. You're looking at pretty much 8-10 million units max in a single generation.

At the end of the day though. Final Fantasy isn't going to be successful as a generic action game. Square Enix stopped innovating.

You look at how Western companies like CDPR and Larian evolved and you see Square Enix decide to just turn their games into action games... it's sad and pathetic.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
JRPGs just aren't selling like they used to. A lot of that is the fault of Square Enix who divided the JRPG fanbase between PS4/5 and 3DS/Switch.

Hard for a genre to grow with a divided consumer base. There is a general ceiling for JRPGs. You're looking at pretty much 8-10 million units max in a single generation.

At the end of the day though. Final Fantasy isn't going to be successful as a generic action game. Square Enix stopped innovating.

You look at how Western companies like CDPR and Larian evolved and you see Square Enix decide to just turn their games into action games... it's sad and pathetic.
Sony can always correct that. It's never too late too improve and walk the right path. Square Enix is rough diamonds with lots of potential. It's just bad management which hindering Square Enix from evolving.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Neither Sony nor MS are that stupid. In the end, Sony wants to make money, so they don't care if SE is cozying up to MS. If Sony were vindictive, they would have fired Arrowhead long ago and set up their own support team for Helldivers 2, after throwing Sony under the bus.

In my opinion, this is final proof that it wasn't SE who decided not to do exclusive deals with Sony, but Sony is no longer interested in giving SE money for exclusivity when there is no competition anyway. None of the deals have really paid off for Sony. The FF7 remake had problems with development at the start and only came out 5 years after it was announced. FF16 and Rebirth probably hardly sold any systems. Sony was probably hoping to be successful with them in Japan, the PS5 was already successful in Europe and the USA, but in the end even a Stellar Blade probably led to more consoles being sold in Japan than FF16.

I have to ask myself what Team Xbox still wants from them. There is probably nothing in Japan that could make the Xbox popular there. They tried that over 20 years ago with various exclusives like Ninja Gaiden, DoA, various Sega titles and on the 360 with LO, Blue Dragon and FF13: All of them largely failed, except in the USA. SE is unlikely to offer an exclusive game like FF17, as that would mean admitting that the new "multiplatform strategy" is not entirely voluntary, and various ports don't seem to interest anyone anymore.

But that's also typical of Xbox. While one of the "most important" MS games is getting an expansion that seems to be a complete flop with critics and players, Team Green is begging in Japan. This shows the leadership qualities of Spencer and Co. Or both knew how crap and overpriced the Starfield expansion is and fled to Japan.

The bolded- Not only that. They’re also putting their own games on PS5. Which makes all this hilarious.

The only thing they hope to achieve with Square Enix is bragging points online. MS is more obsessed with getting PlayStation’s popular 3rd party games than making their own console better by investing in new first party games.

• they're_right_you_know

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
If a game costs 200 million dollars to make, and Microsoft is willing to pay 150 million for it to be on GamePass... Why would they care?
They still potentially alienate their actual fanbase who skip playing and potentially move to competitors. If MS doesn’t pay for the next game and the sales dont happen, what will they do then if no one longer cares or values their products

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Sony can always correct that. It's never too late too improve and walk the right path. Square Enix is rough diamonds with lots of potential. It's just bad management which hindering Square Enix from evolving.

So you think Sony has poorly managed and you think Square Enix is poorly managed, but you're convinced if Sony bought Square Enix, they would manage it to your expectations?

Is that right?

• haha

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
They still potentially alienate their actual fanbase who skip playing and potentially move to competitors. If MS doesn’t pay for the next game and the sales dont happen, what will they do then if no one longer cares or values their products

The real world doesn't work like that though. Fanboys don't run the industry.

I get your point if these games end up exclusive like Tomb Raider and Dragon Quest. That does damage, but having marketing deals? Yeah, no, it doesn't do anything.