Phil Spencer hypocritically calls PlayStation “slimy” for paying publishers for exclusive content

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Phil Spencer:

"It’s a choice. We didn’t say to anybody ‘you have to subscribe to play’. If you want to buy Black Ops 6, that’s great. It’s great for us, it’s great for the developer. If you want to subscribe, it’s also great. I want to give you the choice on how you play your games, and who you play with, and not try to do slimy platform things to force you to do what I want you to do."

PSU

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Phil Spencer: Buys two mega-sized publishers with the initial intention to make them permanent exclusive to Xbox eco system

Sony double downs on 3rd party deals in response

Buying publishers and making games exclusive to Xbox ecosystem backfired hard

Also Phil Spencer: Sony is petty

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
What a cunt. The world has too many fools for this guy to still have a job, Xbox was way more aggressive than Sony when they were in a better position and have done worst than Sony on pretty much everything they now cry about.

This dude still pays Atlus and other publishers to pretend their games are not on PlayStation and then walks around playing the victim.

This clown should be forever mocked for his incompetence.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
"and who you play with, and not try to do slimy platform things to force you to do what I want"
Listen What You Say GIF by Mashed

It's a huge load of:
Jurassic Park Poop GIF by Vidiots

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sony is just copying what Xbox did before with GTA and COD exclusive DLC. They started it and they were bragging about it.

Latest post from SneakerSO, the GAF insider, about their new strategy.

Honestly, I'm loathe to describe it as a predicament. What we are seeing play out is merely a PR narrative being formed that backs up their direction, but they have firmly accepted the conclusion that Xbox HW as a platform onto itself, with aims to keep increasing their audience gen-over-gen, is over. Xbox as a publisher is going to be infinitely more profitable and relevant than they were as a platform holder, so I don't think you're gonna see folks at Xbox being upset about this for much longer.

As time moves forward and their releases become increasingly multiplatform, so many of their situation wind up resolving themselves. MS is going to be far happier as an IP holder, a service seller, and a software publisher, than they ever were when fighting the "console wars".

This does mean the closing of studios and cancelling projects is something we will see happening with a variable cadence of regularity from MS, as they begin to hone in on budget levels and KPIs that make sense with their new business direction. That said, if you're a fan of Xbox and gaming on Xbox, nothing is really changing for you. Gone are the days of worrying if a game sold enough consoles to justify keeping the IP active.

And, while Game Pass will continue to get more expensive (for users - Lord knows its already expensive af for MS), at least we as an industry no longer need to publicly entertain the nonsense fiscal ideas that Spencer was putting out about its sustainability and profitability, while the rest of the industry spoke increasingly ill of it behind the scenes.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Sony is just copying what Xbox did before with GTA and COD exclusive DLC. They started it and they were bragging about it.

Latest post from SneakerSO, the GAF insider, about their new strategy.
"Gone are the days of worrying if a game sold enough consoles to justify keeping the IP active" ➡️ "This does mean the closing of studios and cancelling projects is something we will see happening with a variable cadence of regularity from MS"

Now games need to make money by themselves...things are not going to get pretty for smaller studios. The pressure is going to fall on big IPs, and something is going to break big time. CoD already was under immense pressure to deliver under Activision, now imagine under MS after 80B Dollars. 😬

"while Game Pass will continue to get more expensive (for users - Lord knows its already expensive af for MS),"

Game Pass is not only fighting an already saturated market of subscriptions, but price increases are another factor. Additionally, GaaS and free-to-play games function as subscription platforms by themselves; making them the best competition against Game Pass.

In this accelerated timeline...we could see a complete implosion of Xbox in less than 5 years.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
LMAO Phil is a F’N hypocrite. He’s definitely one to talk given that the company he works for used to do the most slimy sh*t to to other companies in the 90’s. This is the same guy who spent over 80B to buy publishers, then told game studios to cancel game ports of his competitor. He also wanted to give PS a 3 year COD deal, before Jim fought back and because of regulators changed it to 10 years. He always likes to play victim.

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
You know Nintendo and Xbox fanboys are going to try to Kumbaya this and list all the times PS did deals…
These deals have been going on since the beginning of the VG industry.
Colelcovision, Atari, EA (wasn’t known as EA back in the day), Nintendo and Sega pulled this all the time.

Edit: Correct, I think I got EA mixed up with another company.
A few companies back in the 80's did change their names/logos.

Last edited: