Phil Spencer will be on Kinda Funny XCast tomorrow

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
World we live in. To this date i dont understand what kind of no life u have to be to listen to these podcasts (just general podcast thing, nothing against Colin etc). 4 hours?

LIke what the hell u do in life to dedicate 4 hours to some1 talking about video game and u wont get anything new there. Its a freakin video games. Joe Rogan at least sometimes get interesting guests
And u pay them. Just lol all around.
People listen to these things in the background while they do boring work or something like that. This is like talk radio or something.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Tinfoil hat theory:

So thought i had about Phil complaining about competitors making deals. So a few months ago we all know the CMA dropped console concerns right? And sony had a rebuttle and they were very upset, going as far as to say the CMA was irrational right? So here's my tinfoil hat theory.:

With backdrop that the CMA dropped console concerns, Sony got really worried and signed some BIG third party exclusives to save face for when the CMA was supposed to approve the activsion deal. We also know Sony took about a billion from their current acquisitions budget from 5.1 to like 3.7 or something. So...whered the money go? They said its to focus on internal first party studios, but im thinking they used a little over a billion of funds set aside for acquisitions for big third party deals.

I do not expect something as big as say a gta 6, but say they did. Say they paid take 2 one billion dollars for a year timed exclsuive gta 6. That would cover about 12-14 million sales worth of 70.00 games sold on xbox. Now assume gta 6 comes out at the end of 2024, whats the installed bases going to look like? PS5 close to 70 million, xbox mayyybe 30 million? Now would all 30 million buy gta? Would 1/3? Maybe. And maybe thats what 1 billion could cover.

Again this is a tinfoil hat theory and i dont believe sony or anyone could get gta 6 console exclusivity, but just something to think about in the context of Phil complaining about compeitiors making deals. Unless he's that upset about Final fantasy of all things.

D

Deleted member 417

This is not even ballpark correct. On paper, the Series X has a GPU horsepower advantage of 20% teraflops. A theoretical advantage. That's all. Their CPUs are pretty much matched with their clocks (Xbox allows for SMT off, PS5 has a - 0.1 GHz differential with SMT on), PS5 has a unified pool of RAM with the same bandwidth, the Xbox has 2 separate pools of varying bandwidths (that the system recognizes as one, lowering the overall speed to lower of that in the PS5). Their GPU is clocked slower, their SSD is slower, the PS5 has a lot more hardware "bits" that allow for processing power to be dedicated to games, not tasks such as audio or decompression.

Saying the Xbox Series X should piss all over the PS5 spec wise is wrong, and only fanboys bought into that argument because they have very limited understanding of hardware.

And one of the key features on the PS5 is actually smartshift. I'll let people figure out why.
Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of this though I appreciate the write up. The GPU is bigger on the XSX and the 'TF' is higher. I like using the Xbot arguments of higher specs to highlight how badly the XSX is doing.

Smartshift is one piece of amazing tech inside of the PS5, there's so many great things inside that great piece of kit.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of this though I appreciate the write up. The GPU is bigger on the XSX and the 'TF' is higher. I like using the Xbot arguments of higher specs to highlight how badly the XSX is doing.

Smartshift is one piece of amazing tech inside of the PS5, there's so many great things inside that great piece of kit.

Yeah I get that, but to be honest, only imbeciles bought into the whole teraflop absolute win thing.

D

Deleted member 417

Yeah I get that, but to be honest, only imbeciles bought into the whole teraflop absolute win thing.
100%. That and the "lulz, PS5 is only 9tf", followed by that 9tf machine wiping the floor with the "almost 14tf" xsx are a gift that keep on giving.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
100%. That and the "lulz, PS5 is only 9tf", followed by that 9tf machine wiping the floor with the "almost 14tf" xsx are a gift that keep on giving.
Nah they were saying 25tf due to ray tracing cores lmao. Now less games us rt on xsx vs ps5, and no first party

• haha
Reactions: Deleted member 417

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Nah they were saying 25tf due to ray tracing cores lmao. Now less games us rt on xsx vs ps5, and no first party
Probably clock related but PS5 runs RT better than Series X.
RT and framerate is one the things PS5 most of times did better.
Resolution most of time is where Series X did better... the issue here is doing a bit more resoltuion with worst framerate is not something to talk about.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Tinfoil hat theory:

So thought i had about Phil complaining about competitors making deals. So a few months ago we all know the CMA dropped console concerns right? And sony had a rebuttle and they were very upset, going as far as to say the CMA was irrational right? So here's my tinfoil hat theory.:

With backdrop that the CMA dropped console concerns, Sony got really worried and signed some BIG third party exclusives to save face for when the CMA was supposed to approve the activsion deal. We also know Sony took about a billion from their current acquisitions budget from 5.1 to like 3.7 or something. So...whered the money go? They said its to focus on internal first party studios, but im thinking they used a little over a billion of funds set aside for acquisitions for big third party deals.

I do not expect something as big as say a gta 6, but say they did. Say they paid take 2 one billion dollars for a year timed exclsuive gta 6. That would cover about 12-14 million sales worth of 70.00 games sold on xbox. Now assume gta 6 comes out at the end of 2024, whats the installed bases going to look like? PS5 close to 70 million, xbox mayyybe 30 million? Now would all 30 million buy gta? Would 1/3? Maybe. And maybe thats what 1 billion could cover.

Again this is a tinfoil hat theory and i dont believe sony or anyone could get gta 6 console exclusivity, but just something to think about in the context of Phil complaining about compeitiors making deals. Unless he's that upset about Final fantasy of all things.
Marketing deals for PlayStation would NOT be classed under acquisitions in accounting, so your theory is not a sound one.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Pretty much..

What if Xbox had God of War, The Last of Us, Horizon? What if Sony had Mario and Pokemon? What if I was dating Ana de Armas?

I really don't get how this is the point where people turn on Phil Spencer, it's the only point I could relate to the guy. At lest he sees it.

Xbox can't just decide to be better at making games, they tried everything they could, they just fucking suck, at least Phil Spencer finally admitted. Even their core fan base sucks, just a bunch of people that are not concerned with quality and that just care about things being cheap.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I'm looking forward to it because it's a Bethesda RPG. I want to see more skill trees and ways to play though. If it's just a shooter, it will be a pass.
I am a fan of Elder scrolls and Bethesda's Fallout too, but Starfield looked boring.

D

Deleted member 417

I am a fan of Elder scrolls and Bethesda's Fallout too, but Starfield looked boring.
I agree. Until i see some space mage or melee class I won't play. Bethesda fallout has been shite tbh. Fallout New Vegas is the only worthy sequel In the franchise.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Xbox appeals to the idiots that don’t understand that there’s a lot more to computer performance than big number=better.
In the PC space bigger number is generally = better, but that's because hardware manufacturers know what they're doing and putting out gimped/unbalanced products loses to the competition, and there's a whole ecosystem of tech reviewers waiting to pounce on your shit for any flaw to exploit for content.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Tinfoil hat theory:

With backdrop that the CMA dropped console concerns, Sony got really worried and signed some BIG third party exclusives to save face for when the CMA was supposed to approve the activsion deal.
Nah, once CMA properly investigated the numbers saw that PS highly dominates Xbox over 2:1 and that ABK is only a tiny portion of that PS money, that around 90% of the userbase doesn't buy CoD and that the number of big games available in PS but not in XB has been always way higher (in both 1st and 3rd party games) than the amount of big XB games that aren't available in PS.

So the CMA realized that getting CoD console exclusive wouldn't hurt money. In fact, they say that the portion of CoD money coming from PS is so big that to make it console exclusive not only wouldn't help MS to get a substantial improvement in their market share vs Sony, but in fact if would highly hurt Xbox's finantials so badly that they don't think that MS would make it console exclusive. And all this having all the related internal numbers from Sony, MS and ABK.

We also know Sony took about a billion from their current acquisitions budget from 5.1 to like 3.7 or something. So...whered the money go? They said its to focus on internal first party studios, but im thinking they used a little over a billion of funds set aside for acquisitions for big third party deals.
They reduced their acquisition budget to spend until March 2024 from 2T+ yen ($14,8B+) to 1.8T yen ($13,3B), around $1.5B less.

According to Sony that $1.5B money went to spent it inhouse in their image sensors division and for servers for corporate R&D and gaming division. Regarding gaming, pretty likely this means they'll start dropping more big MP focused GaaS titles this fiscal year and also expand the PS cloud gaming to mobile and smart tvs (it's the last step missing of the long term plan of the PS Now 2013 announcement, and the last thing remaining of their PS Now plans for this gen).

They plan to continue acquiring, but not this year. I assume because they aquired a ton of companies in recent years so maybe want to spend some time to properly integrate them before continuing acquiring. Also, they may have seen the regulators too agressive in gaming with MS, which means they'd be way more aggresive with Sony in gaming with big acquisitions.

We also have to consider that around 3 years ago, when they did set this budget, 2T yen was $18B and now it's $14.8B due to change in exchange rates. Meaning they have almost $3B less for acquisitions/investments/stock repurchases because of that. So probably they may wait to buy later because they expect that in a few years the exchange rate will be back to be more favorable for them.

image.png

GTAV is too big, so to moneyhat GTA6 other than getting a marketing deal would be too insanely expensive and nonsensical. I don't think MS or Sony would want to do it, and I don't think Take 2 would care about it, they have a ton of money and they know that going multi would make way more money than accepting a moneyhat.

I think GTA6 won't have any exclusivity. Phil's words regarding PS moneyhatting 3rd parties to get 3rd party exclusivities (something that MS and Nintendo also always did, and even Sega before Xbox) he means things like Final Fantasy, Street Fighter etc.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
GTAV is too big, so to moneyhat GTA6 other than getting a marketing deal would be too insanely expensive and nonsensical. I don't think MS or Sony would want to do it, and I don't think Take 2 would care about it, they have a ton of money and they know that going multi would make way more money than accepting a moneyhat.

I think GTA6 won't have any exclusivity. Phil's words regarding PS moneyhatting 3rd parties to get 3rd party exclusivities (something that MS and Nintendo also always did, and even Sega before Xbox) he means things like Final Fantasy, Street Fighter etc.
Xbox games sell so little that if Sony really wanted a 6 months to one year timed exclusivity it would not be something out of the realm of possibilities. PC got delayed versions of GTAV and RDR2 and it's a much bigger platform than Xbox. There is a benefit to R* in getting the extra push from PlayStation and being able to have a smooth launch working on a single target platform.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
World we live in. To this date i dont understand what kind of no life u have to be to listen to these podcasts (just general podcast thing, nothing against Colin etc). 4 hours?

LIke what the hell u do in life to dedicate 4 hours to some1 talking about video game and u wont get anything new there. Its a freakin video games. Joe Rogan at least sometimes get interesting guests
And u pay them. Just lol all around.
A lot of people listen to them in bursts or as background noise while they do work throughout the day.