PlayStation 5 share in France vs Xbox reaches 93% vs 7%

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

In the UK promotions apparently haven't done much for Xbox.

Source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ig...e-to-struggle-in-europe.787791/post-115349361

According to Julien Chieze, the gap is no longer 90-10% but 93-7% currently in favor of PS5.

Remember, Oscar Lemaire communicated less than a month ago a gap of 90-10% in favor of PS5.

2023 in France:
PS5 – 93%
XBS – 7%

2016 LTD in France:
PS4 - 1.06M - 77%
XBO - 0.31M - 23%

24 Jun 2022
And yet somehow I bet Tigerfish or UraMallus, or Riky or Mauler X, are talking about acquisitions again saying this would justify MS trying to buy more big publishers.

Because, you know, it's TOTALLY the lack of studios why they're being outsold > 9:1 in a lot of these foreign markets. Not Microsoft's history of extremely poor marketing, localization, and software releases appealing to the larger mainstream market (or having consistent quality).

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Good news for gamers but they will use this to make a deal with Ubisoft for exclusives.

Yves Guillemot was too dumb and gave them plenty.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
French sales: seems that Jim Ryanairre made an omelette with Phil's eggs

image.png

Good news for gamers but they will use this to make a deal with Ubisoft for exclusives.

Nah, Sony will continue signing only marketing deals with them plus will continue putting some games in PS+. And Ubi will continue making deals with everyone else as usual: with Nintendo some ports, with MS some games for GP etc.

Other than that, Ubi now may give Sony Activision Blizzard games for PS Plus/ PS cloud gaming if Sony wants them.

Last edited:

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022

Exclusives aint gonna help, people dont want Xbox. Have MS ever made a successful hardware that people wanted?

24 Jun 2022

How would this help MS get a deal for Ubisoft exclusives? They're being outsold more than 9:1 in the country; Ubisoft aren't so stupid so as to ignore long-term results for short-term moneybags. No deal for exclusives from them would help MS overcome that type of sales gap, nor would it help with Ubisoft's software portfolio growth long-term by cutting off significantly more popular platforms for those games (and building up a B2P audience for said games on those platforms).

At best Microsoft can probably get a marketing deal for a couple smaller Ubisoft titles, maybe a new IP. Maybe net Immortals of Aveum for Game Pass (apparently this IS happening according to a rumor) or even cofund/codevelop a sequel to it. But they aren't netting exclusivity of any big, established Ubisoft IP releases (AssCreed, Farcry, mainline Rayman sequel etc).

Exclusives aint gonna help, people dont want Xbox. Have MS ever made a successful hardware that people wanted?

The Surface laptops seem to be pretty successful. Though I know in one fiscal report their revenue was down by like 20%, it was at the tail-end of lockdowns tho and prob attributable to people returning to office (less need for work laptops at home for remote).

Reactions: laynelane

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
How would this help MS get a deal for Ubisoft exclusives? They're being outsold more than 9:1 in the country; Ubisoft aren't so stupid so as to ignore long-term results for short-term moneybags. No deal for exclusives from them would help MS overcome that type of sales gap, nor would it help with Ubisoft's software portfolio growth long-term by cutting off significantly more popular platforms for those games (and building up a B2P audience for said games on those platforms).
It doesn't have to make sense. Ubisoft gave them Splinter Cell Conviction, Ghost Recon, Naruto, Rainbow Six Vegas. All dead franchises because of it.

Guillemot is a big whore for Microsoft as you can see with the Activision deal + the marketing for Assassin’s Creed until Valhalla.

Avatar is with Sony but whatever. It doesn't change history.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I actually think Ubisoft has been pretty neutral with all parties when it comes to marketing deals.

As for Assassin's Creed, the marketing actually rotated yearly between Xbox and Playstation.

Last Gen Sony went with Activision and others as Ubisoft reputation was shot... So was Ubisoft aligning with Xbox? Or simply accepting money from where they could get it.

The Watch Dogs fiasco definitely made Playstation back off a little from Ubisoft early in gen.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It doesn't have to make sense. Ubisoft gave them Splinter Cell Conviction, Ghost Recon, Naruto, Rainbow Six Vegas. All dead franchises because of it.

Guillemot is a big whore for Microsoft as you can see with the Activision deal + the marketing for Assassin’s Creed until Valhalla.

Avatar is with Sony but whatever. It doesn't change history.

Ubisoft always made deals with everybody, and since day one. You'll see Ubisoft games in most game platform launches.

And different kind of deals with all platforms, even random stuff like Meta Quest or Amazon Luna. But to give console exclusives is a thing of the past unless there is some exceptional case (like not being able to port most of their games to Switch and Nintendo offering them the Mario IP and a lot of money to make Mario x Rabbids).

Regarding marketing exclusives, they always have some games with Sony and other ones with MS. Plus in the PC side with AMD or Nvidia, and in China with the platform holders from there (mostly Tencent), etc.

In fact this strategy is something they always have been proud of, and one of the reasons they don't want to sell: to have a great relationship with all platforms, to support everybody and don't depend on anybody, to be independent.

Last edited:

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Interesting.
But Sony is still fumbling by releasing their exclusives on pc, which is now it's biggest competitor.
Short sighted, low revenue spike and I already see tons and tons of pc players "oh yeah I will wait 1 year for pc release and get it on sale".

That said - I am a fan, love my ps5 and I am actually considering getting new FAT system just to unbox or sell it in 20 years. Although I doubt ps5 fat systems will be collectible like ps3s are

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Should be the goal for all markets, and the U.S situation would be much better had some policies been different. Btw, it's the PS5/PC splits going forward that are going to matter. Don't let that hit any of the idiots currently as heads of SIE (or former retired).