PlayStation Announces Hermen Hulst And Hideaki Nishino As Its New CEO's!

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
GNf3GsJa8AAAWoh

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Steam is inevitable at this point. Why wouldn't a product that is pretty much better at everything not gain market share over time?

The last missing piece is mass produced console-like hardware. If PC market is shrinking trying to steal console market share is the obvious move and NVidia, Steam and even MS will have a lot of incentive to attempt to do that.

I have faith in Nintendo, the Switch 2 will be the only console. Sony and xbox will port their games to it

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Phil was part of a successful development studio that put out a engine like Decima and a hit game series like Horizon Zero Dawn (25 million copies sold)

Edit—-

Why do I even bother responding to anything here, back to the whining

Hopefully it's not as bad as many of us think.

But calling it "Platforms" has spooked me, I cant lie.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I have faith in Nintendo, the Switch 2 will be the only console. Sony and xbox will port their games to it
Yep, Nintendo is also my bet for the last remaining successful traditional console manufacturer, their position on portable consoles is just too strong and they are too good at making money in their niche markets.

PlayStation is too similar to PC these days and competes too directly with it while being worse at pretty much everything and putting all their games on PC (while PC devs, Valve in particular, don't return the favor).

For many years every time Gabe talked about console he threw PlayStation under the bus and praised Xbox, Valve is very forward thinking and has probably recognized Sony and Nintendo as their targets a long time ago.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
CEO of platforms? Sound like a CEO for the software and a CEO for the hardware side of the business. That can disrupt the harmony between the studios and hardware teams.

It can disrupt it, but it can also lead to laser focus on improvements in each category.

Platforms isn't just hardware by the way. It's PlayStation Network and the eventual PC Launcher.

Sony is growing too large to be effectively managed by 1 person. You can get away with it if you have a really experienced CEO like a Tim Cook, but for gaming, it was smart to split the company in two.

What it also means that I don't think people will like is that this gives a greater importance to Sony supporting PC.

Reactions: Entropi

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
It can disrupt it, but it can also lead to laser focus on improvements in each category.

Platforms isn't just hardware by the way. It's PlayStation Network and the eventual PC Launcher.

Sony is growing too large to be effectively managed by 1 person. You can get away with it if you have a really experienced CEO like a Tim Cook, but for gaming, it was smart to split the company in two.

What it also means that I don't think people will like is that this gives a greater importance to Sony supporting PC.
I agree. 2 ceos is better to supervise whole Playstation. It should benefit PS as both can dive in deeper in their roles.
Worst part, hulst is still there.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
This also creates a path of promotion for everyone on both sides of PlayStation.

Studio heads/Creative directors were never considered for real leadership. Now they can be. And the software devs no longer report up to hardware.

Rather than a marketing guy or sales guy, you have a software engineer in charge of hardware.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Not that it makes much of a difference but it seems that now Bungie will be grouped with all other PlayStation studios based on how they described the split of responsibilities between the two CEOs.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
All Herman has to do is show up with games and everyone will shut up. Its always about the games and will always be about the games, Although I hate horizon I hope Herman does well.

Reactions: Ico

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Why Hulst instead of Ted Price or Shu? Fucking sad, what a waste of a good publisher. :ROFLMAO:

Steam it is then.

You are probably the type of person that had no idea if Phil Spencer would work out as the top guy at Xbox, I knew from the start that he sucked.

Hulst isn't as obvious but so far everything points to him being pretty bad and the guy behind their awful PC push.
It really should have been Ted Price, that man would whip PlayStation studios into efficiency