PlayStation Announces Hermen Hulst And Hideaki Nishino As Its New CEO's!

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023

Also this “long term vision” is concerning for me it reads as PlayStation massively changing ie “new vision” it could mean going back to the old ways the Nintendo ways but I’m not to sure giving Sony PlayStation retarded strategy & leadership

Like, what you mean “new vision” PS5 has had a new vision of what PS is & has put them in a horrible position in gaming & hardware.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Okay gotcha. PSVR 2 has always been rumored to be a "Sony" decision as opposed to a "PlayStation" decision so the disconnect would make sense if that's true. Personally, I hope Sony ends VR and doesn't bother with it next generation.

I think we can all agree its been abandoned at this point, and VR just isn't going to reach mainstream anytime soon.

Even Apple hasn't been able to do it yet

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: peter42O

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Wait I just realised they changed the name to from PlayStation studios to studio business group???

weird
No, Hermen now is CEO of SIE's Studio Business Group, which includes:
  • Bungie
  • PS Studios
  • SIE published 2nd party games
  • PlayStation Productions and potentially future other new adaptations of SIE IPs to new mediums (maybe novels, comics, board games, toys & figurines?)
Nishino is CEO of SIE's Platform Business Group, which includes:
  • Hardware
  • Accesories
  • PSN
  • Services like PS+
  • 3rd party relations
    • PlayStation Indies
  • Sales and marketing of hardware, accesories or services

Last edited:
Reactions: Swolf712

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
VR hasn't been supported much.
Almost 280 games, way more than PSVR1:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_VR2_games

I'd say no other VR headset had this scale of support on its first year.

Also this “long term vision” is concerning for me it reads as PlayStation massively changing ie “new vision” it could mean going back to the old ways the Nintendo ways but I’m not to sure giving Sony PlayStation retarded strategy & leadership

Like, what you mean “new vision” PS5 has had a new vision of what PS is & has put them in a horrible position in gaming & hardware.
The full sentence is:

"Later this month you will learn more about the long-term vision for Sony Group and the essential role SIE plays in that vision. As I mentioned previously, FY24 marks the start of the Mid-Range Plan period for Sony Group in which we will set the course for sustainable growth."

It doesn't say anything about changing PlayStation and doesn't mention "new vision".

It just says that later this month like every year they'll talk about the Sony's strategy for the future. And this year, as happens every 3 years, they'll announce their "mid-range plan" (their strategy for their next 3 years, pretty likely with a related budget for acquisitions and investments).

The strategy will continue being the same: regarding gaming they'll continue focusing on PlayStation but also growing elsewhere (mainly PC, mobile and movie/tv shows).

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
So, is Hermen actually doing anything different than he was already? If this is a different position with different responsibilities I wonder who's going to take his old position. Or what this reorg means in terms of the relationship of PS first party games to the hardware. I'm a bit worried but I'll wait til the business meeting before busting out with hot takes.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Shu now reports to Nishino and that's all that matters. That's definitely the only positive aspect of all of this.

Seems Hermen ain't that respected in Japan.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
He already released a ton of games as head of PS Studios. This week PS Studios will release their 7th rrelease of 2024:
  • TLOU2 Remastered
  • Helldivers 2
  • MLB
  • HFW PC
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Stellar Blade
  • GoT PC
Come on bro at point you trying to purposefully antagonize people on this forum by putting in a couple of pc ports and remaster on the list

Reactions: arvfab

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Why does there need to be a CEO for platforms??? Stinks of 3rd party
Splitting the responsibilities. Allows Hulst to focus on the games and managing their IP, which is his area of interest and expertise, and allows Nishino to focus on the hardware, PSN, and third-party partner end of things. Given Hulst is a developer, and Nishino is a tech guy, these choices make sense. Both also report to Hiroki Totoki, whom I would guess would be managing the more corporate end of things in his capacity as Chairman.

Basically, they're trying to see how well this approach works, and likely trying to avoid the burnout Jim started to suffer from.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
So, is Hermen actually doing anything different than he was already? If this is a different position with different responsibilities I wonder who's going to take his old position. Or what this reorg means in terms of the relationship of PS first party games to the hardware. I'm a bit worried but I'll wait til the business meeting before busting out with hot takes.
Yes. He's now managing the studio's IPs in other mediums as well, such as TV or film adaptations. He's also handling games SIE publishes and not just those made internally by their studios.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yes. He's now managing the studio's IPs in other mediums as well, such as TV or film adaptations. He's also handling games SIE publishes and not just those made internally by their studios.
That's a big increase in responsibilities, I hope that doesn't mean the quality of internal studio output suffers.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Shining Its Beautiful GIF by Elnaz  Abbasi