Playstation backed studio Deviation games hit with layoffs

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
What? So I guess Sony preferred Firewalks project and Deviations isn't quite making the cut?

Did the ABK deal being blocked result in Sony cutting investment in a possible replacement?

Between Pixelopus and this, as well as other rumblings... I don't know what way to feel about how things are being run.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
So there was more to that story about Final Strike Games afterall. They were a support studio for the Deviation game and the Deviation game was cancelled ☹️

Seems like it.

Feel sorry for the people that got laid off but in terms of being sad about the potential game, its whatever. I dont really care about FPS and sony already have Bungie and Firewalk working on games.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
What? So I guess Sony preferred Firewalks project and Deviations isn't quite making the cut?

Did the ABK deal being blocked result in Sony cutting investment in a possible replacement?

Between Pixelopus and this, as well as other rumblings... I don't know what way to feel about how things are being run.

Sony is probably just tightening their belt with all the mass layoffs going on everywhere else, this is their way of trimming fat. They looked at what they need and whats not really working and started trimming down.

Wouldn’t be surprised if a couple more GAAS get canned

24 Jun 2022
As usual, very unfortunate for those losing their jobs and hope they land on their feet.

On the other hand, this could be a blessing in disguise. Sony had way too many live-service/GaaS games planned IMO; cutting a few of those down to put that money towards more unique 1P games and/or cofunding & exclusivity of 3P games showing promise.

Although the downside to this is, we never got a chance to see the game. PixelOpus's game potentially being cancelled still hits harder if only because it definitely wasn't a FPS scifi/military-themed game, and there's nothing else coming seemingly like it besides DokeV (which we've gotten no update on since 2021).

But yeah, I think in light of this it's about time Sony start show us what some of their 1P are actually working on that hasn't been mentioned/revealed since.