Playstation backed studio Deviation games hit with layoffs

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
Based on what though? There was some hope they'd produce something good based on some ex COD team members but that's about it, they have no development history otherwise
Its not about history its about talent and vision. If you have talent and a vision you can make the game you want to make. Santa Monica first ever game was kinetica, a racing game. They then went on to make god of war which you probably wouldn't expect from a studio who made a racing game.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Based on what though? There was some hope they'd produce something good based on some ex COD team members but that's about it, they have no development history otherwise

Yep. Sony funded their development of a game for more than a 3 years. What they've achieved in those 3 years...who knows. Looks like Hulst didn't liked it ( just like in PixelOpus case )

Reactions: Bryank75

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Got to say this isn’t a good look. Idk how the development was going but the optics look bad imo. A first party game made by former cod devs couldn’t work out? Wonder if their project was too similar to bungies stuff? Or firewalls game was further in development and essentially covered the same genre (sci fi) so one had to be cut?

What with the acquisitions budget being slashed and studio closures you’d think Sony was the one that just put out redfall.
Game development is hard, and often it's just not working out. Sony fortunately has had a good eye for this for the most part. This game may even be what Yoshi P was talking about recently

• brain

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Yep. Sony funding their development of a game for more than a 3 years. What they've achieved in those 3 years...who knows. Looks like Hulst didn't liked it ( just like in PixelOpus case )

That doesn't mean they could make a good shooter though? The game was commissioned based on a good idea obviously, but it's clear it wasn't coming togetber

Hopefully some of the devs being laid off can find jobs at Bungie or the like

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Its not about history its about talent and vision. If you have talent and a vision you can make the game you want to make. Santa Monica first ever game was kinetica, a racing game. They then went on to make god of war which you probably wouldn't expect from a studio who made a racing game.

PixelPOpus surely had a vision. And in 3-4 years of development for a new game, looks like they didn't achieve anything worthwile and project got canned

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Wow, crazy. Thought this project seemed promising, but at least it won't be a redfall type disaster.

• brain

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
It is dead, EU and FTC don't even matter after CMA veto since the contract stipulated unanimous go ahead by all authoritative bodies. Appeal won't change shit, and in fact now both parties can't even get % stock buys from each other... They killed it and then double tapped it for good measure... LOL

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You know what I just thought of? I bet this cancellation is why Sony adjusted the acquisition budget down by 200B yen/1.5b.

• they're_right_you_know

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
I was worried when Sony said they were releasing i think 10-12 GaaS games that they were just going to go for for the throw shit at a wall and see what sticks format. A generous interpretation of this would be that they're going to try and keep quality higher so we dont get too many Destruction Allstars... or worse.
I can count 9 out & on its way. Not far of from 12.

GT7, factions, ghost legend 2, firewalk, horizon, destruction allstars, haven , London studios? ,MLB?

I always thought it was a huge waste of time to try and chase GAAS...

It's so difficult to hit gold with these things and they had opportunities to buy the Fallguys developer, Rocket League developer and many others but let them go to Epic.

They bought Bungie and I thought Square was gonna be a big target for them based on FFXIV success.

But Shu has been on the money with the indie multiplayer GAAS several times and as I said they missed their chance to buy each and every time. I just think Sony / PS seem to have some hesitation pulling the trigger on a good thing.
If you have a great one it makes money. Keeps floating along.But as far as I see its just a money pit.The rate to keep up comes at heavy cost. Bungie were in debt begging for funding. Epic wanted to cut apple out of money. So that already let's me know they are burning through money quick. And Activision needs like 4/5 studios of like 500 people to keep releasing.
Eye brow raiser for me.These gaas games are dangerous.
Got to say this isn’t a good look. Idk how the development was going but the optics look bad imo. A first party game made by former cod devs couldn’t work out? Wonder if their project was too similar to bungies stuff? Or firewalls game was further in development and essentially covered the same genre (sci fi) so one had to be cut?

What with the acquisitions budget being slashed and studio closures you’d think Sony was the one that just put out redfall.

Optics don't matter when the costs are 100+ mill. It's not a college hang out. This still a business and its work.You really have to deliver. And to be at PS standard level. You probably have to deliver something no one at PS studios have. And be technical ,highly technical. Since Herman is from guerilla.

Yep. Sony funded their development of a game for more than a 3 years. What they've achieved in those 3 years...who knows. Looks like Hulst didn't liked it ( just like in PixelOpus case )

Shuhei don't fuck around.He cancelled the Santa Monica space game.It's bad enough Shu don't like your game. Imagine the PS committee.
You really got to pitch games that PS don't have. A game with art style fresh take , great mechanics , technical ability. And today's market , todays PS. You better build something high quality quickly. Like 1 year quick.

It sucks I wanted a roll out of shooters. Hope the devs get moved to other studios.This also a warning message to the industry and the PS studio guys. Get to work & deliver high quality projects or you are out. No coasting over here.

I wonder if we will see a leak of this or have we already??

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
150 people making GaaS game. no chance. look at the companies and employee numbers who has GaaS games. you need hundreds of people to make it and support it. 150 people is nothing. Deviation was stupid and Sony even more stupid.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
So there was more to that story about Final Strike Games afterall. They were a support studio for the Deviation game and the Deviation game was cancelled ☹️

Seems like it.

Feel sorry for the people that got laid off but in terms of being sad about the potential game, its whatever. I dont really care about FPS and sony already have Bungie and Firewalk working on games.

Oh, is that in the article> I didn't read...

You know what I just thought of? I bet this cancellation is why Sony adjusted the acquisition budget down by 200B yen/1.5b.

Looks like it is not canceled???

• brain

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
150 people making GaaS game. no chance. look at the companies and employee numbers who has GaaS games. you need hundreds of people to make it and support it. 150 people is nothing. Deviation was stupid and Sony even more stupid.
You scale with GAAS success not before it. Please don't ever run a business if you think employing a thousand people before a game is a proven success is a good idea. You'll be bankrupting billion dollar companies

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's always sad to see people getting fired. It would be interesting to know the real amount of the people fired and the size of the studio. If they really fired around 90 people and the studio was barely above 100 people, seems that the game didn't progress as needed, got canned due to not achieving the proper quality and the studio very likely will be shut down. Specially if the Final Strike story was true and if Final Strike was supporting this game.

If they were like almost 150 and fired around a dozen people, maybe could be that as part of yearly appraisal reviews some people got fired because of not being productive enough, not achieved enough quality, having caused an important issue, etc. That would be part of the normal behavior of a company, where some people leave or get fired every year while other one get hired. So there's the probability of the studio continuing alive and the game not being canned. There's also the possibility that the Final Strike story wasn't true or weren't working in this project.

Maybe there's a middleground: maybe the game looked too bad but not bad enough to cancel the game and to shut down the studio, so asked to reboot the project meaning that they start it almost from scratch again with major changes and a good chunk of the studio -but not all- gets laid off because did an bad job and take responsability for it, plus maybe they weren't going to have anything to do during several months or even some year.

These gass games getting chopped real quick. Firewalk game must be really ,really good. They got purchased after.
Cancelling games is something normal that happened since the '70s, but back then nobody noticed it. In fact nowadays many games GaaS and non GaaS get cancelled around the world and most people because are from teams people don't care about or because people doesn't notice it specially when the game is an unannounced title from a big studio with money that doesn't need to shut down when their game (in many cases one of multiple games being developed in the studio) gets canned.

Well, it isn't only ex-CoD staff, they had many people from several top shooters released in the last decade or so. They have/had a very talented and experienced team.

Big publishers have an editorial team who set a roadmap of releases and when greenlighting games they take care that their games don't overlap too much and differentiate them enought to make sure that there's a market for each game.

I mean, they realize games are too similar when greenlighting them, not in the middle of the development. Sony won't have realized now that this game is too similar to maybe some Bungie one or the Firewalk one etc., if that would be the case they would have noticed it when greenlighting / signing them.

And well, at this point the game was well into development, it isn't that they shown them the first prototype now. If the game has been canned now, it has been because it didn't achieve pretty likely multiple milestones with the required quality or in time.

I mean, most games have delays to pass some failed milestone. Some even continue and miss a couple milestones but get completed. If they decide to cancel a game it's because the game clearly doesn't have the required quality and it's clear that can't be fixed with some extra time, resources or a reasonable amount of changes.

If the issues are structural and they see that the quality is too low and won't end being good enough, it gets axed and as soon as possible to send the minimal possible amount of work to the garbage bin.

If a game has to be cancelled, better to cancel the work of 150 people after a couple years than to cancel the work of 2500 people after four years.

Last edited:
  • brain