Playstation backed studio Deviation games hit with layoffs

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I don't like the changes under the new management. Sony is seriously disappointing this generation

16 Feb 2023
Seems like Hulst is doing the rounds Media Molecule being told to cut support on Dreams, Pixel Opus shutdown and now this where presumably playstation have killed the project.
Disappointing all round and obviously my heart goes out to those who have lost their jobs. Hopefully some of the GAAS games playstation are planning take off and it allows a little more risk to be taken. That being said if the project wasn't working out it's better to kill it now rather than waste another 2/3 years releasing something that ultimately doesn't work.

OP
OP
Ludwig

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
That's what I was thinking... I didn't think they were much bigger than 100-150.

So, is this basically them on the way to a full closure? It feels like it..
Either that or they went back to preproduction, so they don't need that many staff.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Last year one of the founders of the studio left for some reason.

Yeah after this news I assumed they shot down their project and went back to drawing board since the project most likely was this guy's idea and it was going nowhere

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Yeah after this news I assumed they shot down their project and went back to drawing board since the project most likely was this guy's idea and it was going nowhere
Makes sense. Firewalk game must make be really good. Deviation basically have to pitch again. Good find detective.
Look Mirar GIF by Pepephone

Last edited:
16 Feb 2023
These gass games getting chopped real quick. Fireworks game must be really ,really good. They got pur based after.
I was worried when Sony said they were releasing i think 10-12 GaaS games that they were just going to go for for the throw shit at a wall and see what sticks format. A generous interpretation of this would be that they're going to try and keep quality higher so we dont get too many Destruction Allstars... or worse.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
These gass games getting chopped real quick. Fireworks game must be really ,really good. They got pur based after.

I always thought it was a huge waste of time to try and chase GAAS...

It's so difficult to hit gold with these things and they had opportunities to buy the Fallguys developer, Rocket League developer and many others but let them go to Epic.

They bought Bungie and I thought Square was gonna be a big target for them based on FFXIV success.

But Shu has been on the money with the indie multiplayer GAAS several times and as I said they missed their chance to buy each and every time. I just think Sony / PS seem to have some hesitation pulling the trigger on a good thing.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Got to say this isn’t a good look. Idk how the development was going but the optics look bad imo. A first party game made by former cod devs couldn’t work out? Wonder if their project was too similar to bungies stuff? Or firewalls game was further in development and essentially covered the same genre (sci fi) so one had to be cut?

What with the acquisitions budget being slashed and studio closures you’d think Sony was the one that just put out redfall.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Got to say this isn’t a good look. Idk how the development was going but the optics look bad imo. A first party game made by former cod devs couldn’t work out? Wonder if their project was too similar to bungies stuff? Or firewalls game was further in development and essentially covered the same genre (sci fi) so one had to be cut?

What with the acquisitions budget being slashed and studio closures you’d think Sony was the one that just put out redfall.
Sorry but fuck optics, if you want good optics follow suave Phil and his unfounded lies....

Reactions: Wraith Phantom

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Sony went overboard with the amount of live service games in development. Shame really, deviation could've made a good shooter that was single player only. Now im curious to see if other live service games get canned.
Based on what though? There was some hope they'd produce something good based on some ex COD team members but that's about it, they have no development history otherwise

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022