PlayStation E3 2016, the last truly amazing Showcase they did. Now 8 years of "Meh" since.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

The last truly amazing PS showcase was in 2016. Live orchestra opening and filled with executives that knew what PS fans wanted.

It was also packed with killer first party exclusives... real exclusives.

Since then it has been a consistent downward trend. PC ports as much or more than new game announcements, barely any true exclusives.
No executives that give even a hint that they listen to or care what fans think.

It's 8 years of "meh" now (The quality in first party is there, not talking about it) and we NEED a good showcase with NO PC nonsense and LOTS of full exclusives.

Bring back "Only on PlayStation"

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
it's only going downhill moving forward, will get even worse once they put PS Plus Cloud in Mobile and Smart TVs...

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
If they have no showcase in September which shows at least 3 big exclusive bangers then holy shit the production pipeline is cooked and Sony needs to start firing some people in the studios, there is one thing to be said of not putting pressure on devs to make a trailer/gameplay demo but wholly another thing to let them be soo lazy that they don't show anything year after year. Deadlines are a thing and missing deadlines only shows the incompetence of the people making games, musk got his startup to make reusable rocket engines in less than 5 years don't tell me these people can't make games in 4-5 years

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box and Bryank75

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

The last truly amazing PS showcase was in 2016. Live orchestra opening and filled with executives that knew what PS fans wanted.

Since then it has been a consistent downward trend. PC ports as much or more than new game announcements, barely any true exclusives.
No executives that give even a hint that they listen to or care what fans think.

It's 8 years of "meh" now (The quality in first party is there, not talking about it) and we NEED a good showcase with NO PC nonsense and LOTS of full exclusives.

i personally liked also TLoU2 and Ghost of Tsushima showcases too. TLoU2 was especially atmospheric. but yeah, 2016 was legendary.

• Shake
Reactions: Bryank75

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022

2016 was great but eve had great showcases since then. The ps reveal showcase was 🔥

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The first PS5 Showcases were good, that is when we got the idea Showcases were better than State of Play, since then it has been depressingly bad like they completely gave up.

I really don't get what is Sony's angle, they really seem to think that hype and excitement is a bad thing, no other company I know of is like that.

2016 was peak E3, they really mastered the format. It really elevated their produces and if they had been consistent with that today they would be seen alongside brands like Nintendo and Apple.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box and Bryank75

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
We need LIVE shows. With people.
Not woke fat office slobs.
Real goofy ceos and producers. Engineers.

And games should focus again on story, feelings. Like that Gears E-Day trailer. This is it.

Reactions: Umar

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
For real , if they do another recorded event, it will all be leaked before for sure... they need to go back to live if they have any sense.
It doesn't even make financial sense to not do these event. If Geoff is able to charge as much as he does for people to present their games on his garbage event it means Sony event provided incredible value per money invested.

The problem is that Sony is run by bean counters that are obsessed cutting costs without taking into account long term implications.

Disney, Apple, NVidia, AMD, all see value in doing these type of live events. Sony even does these events for pretty much all their other business except gaming.

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It doesn't even make financial sense to not do these event. If Geoff is able to charge as much as he does for people to present their games on his garbage event it means Sony event provided incredible value per money invested.

The problem is that Sony is run by bean counters that are obsessed cutting costs without taking into account long term implications.

Disney, Apple, NVidia, AMD, all see value in doing these type of live events. Sony even does these events for pretty much all their other business except gaming.

Yeah, they calculate events as expenses and you cant calculate excitement or fan loyalty and anticipation. So for a bean counter, it seems like a pointless exercise.

Likewise, keeping games exclusive seems pointless through the limited perspective of financials.... you can't calculate how many sales you stand to lose, how much your consumers might feel negatively about it...etc.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Yeah, they calculate events as expenses and you cant calculate excitement or fan loyalty and anticipation. So for a bean counter, it seems like a pointless exercise.

Likewise, keeping games exclusive seems pointless through the limited perspective of financials.... you can't calculate how many sales you stand to lose, how much your consumers might feel negatively about it...etc.
Yea, they seem to have difficulty assigning value to anything that is directly visible on a balance sheet. This is the type of management/leadership that will destroy a company.

What boggles my mind is that when it comes to other things besides games they are not like this, so it's like they specifically game as a lesser business not worthy of investment and just something that they can use to help their other more important businesses.

Sony only chance at relevancy is to be seen as an entertainment/technology company first and games are the perfect platform for that.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yea, they seem to have difficulty assigning value to anything that is directly visible on a balance sheet. This is the type of management/leadership that will destroy a company.

What boggles my mind is that when it comes to other things besides games they are not like this, so it's like they specifically game as a lesser business not worthy of investment and just something that they can use to help their other more important businesses.

What is hilarious to me is that: Yes, Sony will spend on big events for other businesses they have but they are completely useless at reading the market most of the time.

They've been in gaming for 30+ years and yet have completely missed the boat on AI.

They are trying to jump into electric cars now, too late again, just as the demand is collapsing.

They are talking about selling their banking business, just a few years after buying it...

They want to invest in buying more movie companies and music... even when both of those industries have suffered due to streaming.... AND they want to pursue the same streaming for their gaming in the future... LOL

I don't need to retread all the things that I usually criticize them for in gaming, that would be boring BUT they need to get their act together.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
What is hilarious to me is that: Yes, Sony will spend on big events for other businesses they have but they are completely useless at reading the market most of the time.

They've been in gaming for 30+ years and yet have completely missed the boat on AI.

They are trying to jump into electric cars now, too late again, just as the demand is collapsing.

They want to invest in buying more movie companies and music... even when both of those industries have suffered due to streaming.... AND they want to pursue the same streaming for their gaming in the future... LOL

I don't need to retread all the things that I usually criticize them for in gaming, that would be boring BUT they need to get their act together.
How much do you think MS and other big tech companies would be willing to buy PlayStation business? I bet you it is more than the entire market cap Sony has right now. Even then Sony doesn't realize how valuable their position on PlayStation is.

This is why I find it easy to invest on Sony, if sold for parts they seem clearly undervalued for me.

Now, if we ever get a Sony CEO that isn't a dinosaur with no ambition or imagination they would have a resurgence. Sony and PlayStation are still one of the strongest brands around all over the world.

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
How much do you think MS and other big tech companies would be willing to buy PlayStation business? I bet you it is more than the entire market cap Sony has right now. Even then Sony doesn't realize how valuable their position on PlayStation is.

This is why I find it easy to invest on Sony, if sold for parts they seem clearly undervalued for me.

For me, it's the management that are the net negative. The best CEO they ever had was Kaz, most of the others were clueless. Ken Yoshida has ZERO vision....

Nearly all their business could be incredible if they were ran slightly differently.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom