PlayStation Event Rumoured for August according to verified Resetera user

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, they still have to update and announce new first party titles. Theres two GAAS they have to announce (or one with factions) PSVR titles which probably include a new Astrobot game, Spider-man 2 update, and theres a few studios that im sure ready to show games.

I think we will get a Horizon Story DLC announcement, PC Port dates, Spider-man 2 footage, Firewalks game, Twisted Metal, A few more PSVR2 titles, Guerrillas other game, a new 3rd party exclusive….etc

I hope so, 1st party and 3rd party exclusives have been bleak since September 2020 as far as newly shown/announced AAA exclusives.
Theres been FF7 P2, Star Wars KOTOR, Spiderman 2 and Wolverine. I guess TLOU1 Remake too but I want more lol

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think we should stop giving credit and attention to these supposed 'leakers', 'insiders' etc and have a single thread for rumors and speculations and to have there all these rumors and supposed leaks. Including a list in the OP tracking them to see the amount of bullshit and made up stuff made each one that turned out to be fake stuff that never ended becoming real.

Because many of this people some day made an informated guess or copied a leak from somewhere else and got it right, and people give them credit forever when they also thrown a lot of bullshit that never ended becoming real.

It's obvious that one of the upcoming months they may have an event because they already released most of the big exclusives they had announced and now they'll have to move to show or announce:
  • Show TLOU MP CG trailer announcing its name and and concept, and put some "2023" or "2024" release date
  • Show more GoWR gameplay
  • Show TLOU1 remake gameplay
  • Show Spider-Man gameplay trailer and a release window (like Q1 2023 or Q2 2023 etc) or directly its release date
  • Announce more 1st/2nd party games (like Arrowhead's next game or Bungie's next IP)
  • Announce more PSVR2 games
  • Announce PSVR2 date and price
  • Show new trailers of 3rd party exclusives we haven't seen for a while like Project Awakening or Granblue Fantasy Relink
  • Put some trailers of top tier H2 2022/Q1 2023 3rd party multis with marketing deal (Howgarts Legacy, Avatar, NBA 2K, Suicide Squad, Street Fighter 6...)
  • More company acquisitions
But the thing is that having no consoles in the stores, a giant demand and plans to start solving the shipment issues during the upcoming months, they may prefer to show and announce only the minimum needed stuff to don't spend all these hype bullets now and instead sell all the consoles they can with the hype built from before. And once the offer and demand is somewhat balanced and have consoles in the store normally again, then to shoot all these hype bullets to bump again the demand.

In addition to this they may also prefer to don't throw a ton of big announcements in a single event to avoid the big ones overshadow the smaller ones, but instead to spread them across the yar to give enough visibility to each one of them.

We hear this news every month
Yes. I mean, no need to have insider info about any event or from Sony. Almost every month they typically have some internal event like SoP, PS Showcase, may show some stuff at E3, Doritos Game Awards, Summer Doritos Fest, Gamescom, TGS, GDC, now EVO (this August) and so on, or simply drop stuff on their PS Blog.

So you can say "Expect something in August basically" for any month. And like with this case mentioned that was going to be in a month and nothing happens then say it will be in the next one. And bingo, you're someone who says their uncle works at Nintendo but you're a "verified user" that people calls you "leaker" or "insider".

I hope so, 1st party and 3rd party exclusives have been bleak since September 2020 as far as newly shown/announced AAA exclusives.
Theres been FF7 P2, Star Wars KOTOR, Spiderman 2 and Wolverine. I guess TLOU1 Remake too but I want more lol
There has been several exclusives announced -and many of them also released- in addition to the ones you mentioned since September 2020 like the TLOU remake, TLOU MP game, the Uncharted Collection, the director's cut of Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima, Valkyrie Elysium, DnF Duel, Sifu, the PC ports of GoW, Uncharted collection and the Spider-Mans, etc

Last edited:

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
Yeah....it's kinda obvious that they are gonna do something between August and September.

24 Jun 2022
Yeah, they still have to update and announce new first party titles. Theres two GAAS they have to announce (or one with factions) PSVR titles which probably include a new Astrobot game, Spider-man 2 update, and theres a few studios that im sure ready to show games.

I think we will get a Horizon Story DLC announcement, PC Port dates, Spider-man 2 footage, Firewalks game, Twisted Metal, A few more PSVR2 titles, Guerrillas other game, a new 3rd party exclusive….etc

With Horizon I think they're gonna do something like a Spiderman Miles Morales and make it something like an expansion, so it's probably too soon for any info on that yet. Probably late 2023 and an early 2024 release for something like that; the VR game they have coming will act as some intermediate expansion between HFW and a Miles Morales-style expansion for later (at least, I think. It's a pretty good option for them to pursue).

I want a new Tomba and UmJammer. Fingers crossed still don't care how long I have to wait 🤞

It's obvious that one of the upcoming months they may have an event because they already released most of the big exclusives they had announced and now they'll have to move to show or announce:
  • Show TLOU MP CG trailer announcing its name and and concept, and put some "2023" or "2024" release date
  • Show Spider-Man gameplay trailer and a release window (like Q1 2023 or Q2 2023 etc) or directly its release date
  • Announce more 1st/2nd party games (like Arrowhead's next game or Bungie's next IP)
  • Show new trailers of 3rd party exclusives we haven't seen for a while like Project Awakening or Granblue Fantasy Relink
  • Put some trailers of top tier H2 2022/Q1 2023 3rd party multis with marketing deal (Howgarts Legacy, Avatar, NBA 2K, Suicide Squad, Street Fighter 6...)

I think most of these have a realistic chance of happening with a September showcase, except maybe the Factions trailer and date announcement. Seems like Sony is focusing more on announcing games that aren't too far out and I don't know if Factions will be ready for 2023. It probably should be, but I think there was a statement WRT it earlier this year from someone at ND that at least at the time I read it, made it sound like it was further out than thought.

Can't recall what the statement was, but I think it was tied to a concept art piece being released back in June. But, I think it should probably be targeting a H2 2023 release.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
With Horizon I think they're gonna do something like a Spiderman Miles Morales and make it something like an expansion, so it's probably too soon for any info on that yet. Probably late 2023 and an early 2024 release for something like that; the VR game they have coming will act as some intermediate expansion between HFW and a Miles Morales-style expansion for later (at least, I think. It's a pretty good option for them to pursue).

I honestly dont think they are gonna do a stand alone expansion unless its for a multiplayer. I think the story dlc will be like Frozen Wilds or Iki Island

Even the original Spider-Man had story DLC

24 Jun 2022
I honestly dont think they are gonna do a stand alone expansion unless its for a multiplayer. I think the story dlc will be like Frozen Wilds or Iki Island

Even the original Spider-Man had story DLC

Oh damn, completely forgot about this! That does make a story DLC expansion for Horizon more likely. They might consider both, tho; DLC expansion for the near-term, expansion later down the line but I guess that depends on how they approach Horizon 3 (which, I know HFW sets up strongly for near the end, but I've been avoiding details to not get spoiled).

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Oh damn, completely forgot about this! That does make a story DLC expansion for Horizon more likely. They might consider both, tho; DLC expansion for the near-term, expansion later down the line but I guess that depends on how they approach Horizon 3 (which, I know HFW sets up strongly for near the end, but I've been avoiding details to not get spoiled).

Theres a lot in the works for horizon so we’ll see…a good guess is story DLC for forbidden west in SOME form, Call of the Mountain, and they have the tv show coming out so who knows what they will release for that.

I still think they are doing a monster hunter type of game for it. I do want to see what the other Guerrilla team are working on though, it would be nice to have a short break from horizon after all this before part 3

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think most of these have a realistic chance of happening with a September showcase, except maybe the Factions trailer and date announcement. Seems like Sony is focusing more on announcing games that aren't too far out and I don't know if Factions will be ready for 2023. It probably should be, but I think there was a statement WRT it earlier this year from someone at ND that at least at the time I read it, made it sound like it was further out than thought.

Can't recall what the statement was, but I think it was tied to a concept art piece being released back in June. But, I think it should probably be targeting a H2 2023 release.
At the start of the Jimbo era they reorganized the SIE/PlayStation marketing to combine all of them on a single global marketing & PR team to unify their message and campaigns globally with local divisions to basically localize the campaigns and make the local marketing and PR deals and campaings but following that global vision.

More or less since then almost always announced or promoted brand new games that were maximum a year and a half or almost two years away from being released, with a couple of exceptions and a few games delayed due to covid. In the case of remasters/remakes/ports the window is shorter, they typically announce/promote them a few months before release.

So if they follow this strategy (they will because they are now more successful than ever with this strategy) there may be some rare exception but most the stuff they would show in events during the next few months will be games to be released during 2022 and 2023.

24 Jun 2022
Theres a lot in the works for horizon so we’ll see…a good guess is story DLC for forbidden west in SOME form, Call of the Mountain, and they have the tv show coming out so who knows what they will release for that.

I still think they are doing a monster hunter type of game for it. I do want to see what the other Guerrilla team are working on though, it would be nice to have a short break from horizon after all this before part 3

Seems like quite a lot of devs want to take a shot at a Monster Hunter-style game. It would probably make sense for Horizon, imagine if they tried a Pokemon-style spinoff for it tho 😅. Actually it would be interesting, just to see a Pokemon game with modern high-production visuals ;)

At the start of the Jimbo era they reorganized the SIE/PlayStation marketing to combine all of them on a single global marketing & PR team to unify their message and campaigns globally with local divisions to basically localize the campaigns and make the local marketing and PR deals and campaings but following that global vision.

More or less since then almost always announced or promoted brand new games that were maximum a year and a half or almost two years away from being released, with a couple of exceptions and a few games delayed due to covid. In the case of remasters/remakes/ports the window is shorter, they typically announce/promote them a few months before release.

So if they follow this strategy (they will because they are now more successful than ever with this strategy) there may be some rare exception but most the stuff they would show in events during the next few months will be games to be released during 2022 and 2023.

Yeah that sounds about right, and like you said it maximizes global strategies for public-facing info and getting the most out of a marketing cycle. Some people seem fussed about no gameplay in the recent Ragnarok trailer but then just take a look at the views it got in a single day and basically, they didn't need to include any new gameplay.

Besides I'm sure they have some for an upcoming SOP for the game either between now and September, or at their big Showcase.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Seems like quite a lot of devs want to take a shot at a Monster Hunter-style game. It would probably make sense for Horizon, imagine if they tried a Pokemon-style spinoff for it tho 😅. Actually it would be interesting, just to see a Pokemon game with modern high-production visuals ;)

Would be like a Pokemon meets Front Mission style of game.... I like the idea 😂

I think a RTS Horizon game would also be cool, if they somehow can manage to build a senseful story around it.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah that sounds about right, and like you said it maximizes global strategies for public-facing info and getting the most out of a marketing cycle. Some people seem fussed about no gameplay in the recent Ragnarok trailer but then just take a look at the views it got in a single day and basically, they didn't need to include any new gameplay.

Besides I'm sure they have some for an upcoming SOP for the game either between now and September, or at their big Showcase.
Yes, since the PS5 announcement or so they achieved many record many numbers in YouTube, Instagram, Twitter and I assume that in the PS Blog too.

Regarding the no GoW gameplay at this point, I'm fearing it's because of spoilers. I'm worried they may do an MGS2/TLOU2 awful "surprise" to "subverse the expectation of the players" (to spit them in the face) at the start of the game so this is why don't show the rest of the game, because it would reveal it.

saintjules

Forum Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think we should stop giving credit and attention to these supposed 'leakers', 'insiders' etc and have a single thread for rumors and speculations and to have there all these rumors and supposed leaks. Including a list in the OP tracking them to see the amount of bullshit and made up stuff made each one that turned out to be fake stuff that never ended becoming real.

Because many of this people some day made an informated guess or copied a leak from somewhere else and got it right, and people give them credit forever when they also thrown a lot of bullshit that never ended becoming real.

But the thing is that having no consoles in the stores, a giant demand and plans to start solving the shipment issues during the upcoming months, they may prefer to show and announce only the minimum needed stuff to don't spend all these hype bullets now and instead sell all the consoles they can with the hype built from before. And once the offer and demand is somewhat balanced and have consoles in the store normally again, then to shoot all these hype bullets to bump again the demand.

In addition to this they may also prefer to don't throw a ton of big announcements in a single event to avoid the big ones overshadow the smaller ones, but instead to spread them across the yar to give enough visibility to each one of them.

Nicely written. I'd feel confident in seeing most of what's on your list. I think personally Spidey would be a late Q3 2023 title at the earliest imo.

24 Jun 2022
Yes, since the PS5 announcement or so they achieved many record many numbers in YouTube, Instagram, Twitter and I assume that in the PS Blog too.

Regarding the no GoW gameplay at this point, I'm fearing it's because of spoilers. I'm worried they may do an MGS2/TLOU2 awful "surprise" to "subverse the expectation of the players" (to spit them in the face) at the start of the game so this is why don't show the rest of the game, because it would reveal it.

That's the most likely reason for sure. TLOU2 leaks were pretty bad, and spawned a lot of fake outrage and toxicity (which, unfortunately, me from two years ago was at least slightly a part of, anyone searching my posts on GAF that far back can see it. A badge of shame I gotta bear for that stupidity 😖). Understandably, they don't want that happening again and it's best to keep any gameplay that's big on story (which would be most of it) as close to the chest as possible until up to launch.

Spoiler culture was already kinda troublesome for creators; now that it's been weaponized by console warriors and online toxicity, it's downright poison for certain types of games.

Would be like a Pokemon meets Front Mission style of game.... I like the idea 😂

Dude that would actually be really lit. A more serious, scifi/tribal fantasy-style Pokemon game with SRPG-style battle and exploration system would be quite interesting.

I think a RTS Horizon game would also be cool, if they somehow can manage to build a senseful story around it.

Personally not big into RTS games because it seems like a lot of micromanaging with some of them and the perspective (plus the sheer amount of visual information to keep track of) doesn't fit for me. I've been getting into SRPGs a lot more tho, thanks to Shining Force III, the turn-based nature is also more my cup of tea.

But the idea of a AAA RTS or turn-based SRPG Horizon-based game that can maybe do some big innovations (like the ability to switch to individual members in troop units and go into third-person over-the-shoulder style perspective for direct control) could be really neat.

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Bryank75
D

Deleted member 13

Seconded.

D

Deleted member 140

Can't wait! I'm already excited and very curious what they'll show!

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75
Status
Not open for further replies.