PlayStation Has Acquired Firewalk Studios

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Are there any other studios out there with 'Fire' in the name... ?

Cause I have to update my predictions list.

I go out for a few hours and all sorts of stuff happens.

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
"Firewalk will collaborate alongside world-class development teams, including Bungie and Haven Interactive Studios, to define a new generation of live service experiences for PlayStation gamers"

Mad. Haven highly rated over there at Ps studios damn!!

Reactions: Bryank75

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
well, Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, and Insomniac are all making live multiplayer games. Sucker Punch are probably as well by building on what they made with Ghost Legends into a full standalone game

obviously they're all still making singleplayer games too so its fine, but they are doing both
Naughty Dog established a new team and have always had a multiplayer component to them since Uncharted 2.

There's no indication Insomniac and Sucker Punch are making a GAAS, which is very different to having a co op mode

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Naughty Dog established a new team and have always had a multiplayer component to them since Uncharted 2.

There's no indication Insomniac and Sucker Punch are making a GAAS, which is very different to having a co op mode
Insomniac and Sucker Punch have both been hiring for standalone multiplayer games

all of these multiplayer games will be live games
thats why they have over 12 of them in development

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

These studios are working on maybe 3 or 4 games at the same time, probably one of them is MP and the other ones SP.

Reactions: Deleted member 417
24 Jun 2022
SE is probably undervalued, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are huge and they have being held back by terrible leadership that can't let go of NFT.

If Sony ever want to go in the Nintendo/Disney direction of having theme parks and all SE is perfect. Final Fantasy is also highly adaptable to other mediums.

I still remember the Spirits Within movie; it wasn't terrible but could've been better. Surprised there haven't been that many CG films for FF compared to say RE, when FF has a lot more story/lore to work with especially if you expand out to the classic games.

Or doing things like limited-episode anime adaptations of classic FF games, I'm sure those could do well, too.

I think Sqaure Enix, Capcom & Take Two should be Sony’s targets/retaliation.

Dunno about Take-Two TBH. There's no situation where whoever acquires Take-Two suddenly makes GTA exclusive, because that just destroys GTA's market value in one fell swoop. Could they attempt partial foreclosure with GTA content though? Yeah, and that could cause some issues so on those grounds I could see why Sony acquiring them would be a good idea.

Overall though I just think the money for Take-Two could be better spread out over key Japanese 3P publishers & developers, a few Western developers, and making some big investments & share purchases of as many 3P publishers as possible including Take-Two. Say Sony acquired Square-Enix for example; they could justify investing in a new Parasite Eve and Einhander and make those exclusive because those IP already have exclusive history with the PS brand anyway. But they could also make PC ports of those games, maybe targeted for key markets where the PC share is much larger than the console share.

24 Jun 2022
Capcom need to be secured. The least they should do is invest in it to prevent Microsoft acquisition.
Honesty, this recent RE4 remake was incredible in both design and technology. Capcom is back to their former late 90s - early 2000s glory.

TBH I think Capcom still need to do a bit more in terms of variety to reach their late '90s/early '00s levels. Their main IP ATM are RE, SF and Monster Hunter. But back in that era, they had those in addition to MvC, Dino Crisis, Onimusha, Megaman X, Rival Schools, Power Stone, and tons of more one-off hits of various levels.

I don't think the economics exist for multiple fighting games like back in the '90s but I think if they can't do MvC anymore, they should just pair SF with a Capcom vs Capcom style fighter that takes the place of MvC, more or less, maybe with some guest characters from other franchises. And maybe Capcom feels they only have enough room in the survival-horror space for a single IP, so maybe bringing Dino Crisis back isn't viable. But they could just do a RE spinoff where the story somehow involves dinosaur DNA and just have callbacks to Dino Crisis that way.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
TBH I think Capcom still need to do a bit more in terms of variety to reach their late '90s/early '00s levels. Their main IP ATM are RE, SF and Monster Hunter. But back in that era, they had those in addition to MvC, Dino Crisis, Onimusha, Megaman X, Rival Schools, Power Stone, and tons of more one-off hits of various levels.

I don't think the economics exist for multiple fighting games like back in the '90s but I think if they can't do MvC anymore, they should just pair SF with a Capcom vs Capcom style fighter that takes the place of MvC, more or less, maybe with some guest characters from other franchises. And maybe Capcom feels they only have enough room in the survival-horror space for a single IP, so maybe bringing Dino Crisis back isn't viable. But they could just do a RE spinoff where the story somehow involves dinosaur DNA and just have callbacks to Dino Crisis that way.

A new Dino Crisis game is an easy win IMO.

You're definitely right about them diversifying their catalog though. Only so many RE remakes can be done and SF is good once per gen.

Exoprimal doesn't look like it will be a hit to me.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

Capcom in 2013 decided to go back to drawing board and re focus on few IPs. That was the right decision to make.
I think now they can start to expand.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The other 2 studios from ProbablyMonsters sound more interesting than Firewalk. Why not get all of them instead? Now Tencent or MS will rush to get it to block Sony. Ugh.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Jim Ryan buying every live service studio on the planet
Infinity Gauntlet GIFs | Tenor
... And still can't get TLOU Factions Online out the door

Interested Ooo GIF by reactionseditor

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Deviation Games is next.

Sony is getting just about ALL the new talent working for them. Meanwhile MS buying old, dusty irrelevant IPs that are on life support
People devalue IP too, but FUSE and Sunset Overdrive sucked a big fat one for most of the gaming public. It was still Insomniac talent etc.

Has to be a balancing-act.