PlayStation is laying off around 900 people across the world [Discussion]

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
It's not hard to tell otherwise they would follow up with a Milestone outside of the first 6 weeks sales release from almost a year ago?

Or we gonna keep ignoring they themselves said sales are slower than they expected? Or Mat Piscatella who said back in December VR market has cratered? We've seen glimpses of sales of it in Europe selling less than 100 - 2000 in some weeks in specific countries.

Please thing ain't selling, saw literal piles of the stuff in more than one best buy over the holiday.

Call it doom and gloom... But in reality that product ain't selling.
Last updated from almost a year ago... Wow I guess the product stopped selling after the first 6 weeks 🤣. Well maybe it actually did 🤣

Yeah what was Eric suppose to say? PSVR2 isn't selling well? In a Public PR post? In the same interview he said he expected PS5 to sell record amounts that Xmas, did that happen?

I guess you can't read between the lines for PR. They were happy to say Portal exceeded expectations. Where as he said PSVR2 isn't performing as they expected... But keep clinging to the word "well"
Nah..first you said "Sony said sales were below expectations" and then you say "of course Sony said it's selling well". You always try to get on a high horse about us making Xbox jokes, yet here you are blatantly lying about product just cuz you hate it 🤦‍♂️

I put mine on ebay for 300 (half price) got no bites in over 3 months so i just took it down lol
Why would anyone buy a used headset with someone's sweat, gunk, earwax, and a bunch of other stuff on it? I dont mind buying used stuff, but stuff like a vr headset and headphones, never, and most people are the same.

Can we all agree bungie was a shit purchase
I said it was since day 1.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
So you have no real data except it is selling better than PSVR. Great.
Yeah because it's best to cling to the first 6 weeks of sales and live in delusional land it's still selling great, meanwhile the parent company said last December sales are slow... Or the mouthpiece of the biggest video games tracker said VR devices aren't selling that well and the market is contracting... Or the fact we have seen hard figures out of Europe where sales are abysmal

I think I'll stick to what I'm seeing and all the unsold boxes in every retail outlet

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Nah..first you said "Sony said sales were below expectations" and then you say "of course Sony said it's selling well". You always try to get on a high horse about us making Xbox jokes, yet here you are blatantly lying about product just cuz you hate it 🤦‍♂️

Why would anyone buy a used headset with someone's sweat, gunk, earwax, and a bunch of other stuff on it? I dont mind buying used stuff, but stuff like a vr headset and headphones, never, and most people are the same.

I said it was since day 1.
Difference is I don't obsess about PSVR2. Y'all on this site is literally obsessed with Xbox? You're not obligated to interact with my opinions on VR which is normally pretty one off unless y'all make it into a discussion.

A good amount of the time half the front page is literally about Xbox or the nonstop circle jerk in threads even when it's not about Xbox related topics... Totally not the same

PSVR2 still ain't selling well either 😏

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Wow 🤣

It's such a shame because it's a great piece of tech but it was such a misfire and bad timing as cost of entry for everything Playstation related is so expensive now. Nobody except a small group is gonna spend 1,000+ for VR entry currently.

Maybe when they make it compatible with pc it will be easier to sell

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

Why? Marathon is probably the most anticipated Playstation game. Definitely the biggest reveal of the last Playstation showcase. Destiny 2 is entering its 7th year. I don't think Playstation bought them expecting to milk D2 for another 5.

As a bonus, the D2 losing users puts more pressure Bungie maintaining their status as an independent division of Sony rather than being absorbed under Playstation studios. If they lose that independent status, there's a bigger chance Marathon won't come to Xbox as is currently announced.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Difference is I don't obses about PSVR2. Y'all on this site is literally obsessed with Xbox? You're not obligated to interact with my opinions on VR which is normally pretty one off unless y'all make it into a discussion.

A good amount of the time half the front page is literally about Xbox... Totally not the same

PSVR2 still selling well either 😏
you are clearly obsessed with vr2, when you're not hating on jim ryan (valid), you're hating on psvr2 (invalid)

You've been exposed and buried by me for the 12th and final time.

From now on, everyone just disregard what @Danja1187 says about PSVR2, he has an agenda, probably paid off by Xbox. No wonder he gets salty when he sees Xbox jokes 😂🤣

• thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Respawn has successfully navigated a world class service game while repeatedly making game of the year quality single player games. We can accept Naughty Dog's excuse for killing their online game without elevating it to gospel for everyone.
Multiple studios and other than Star Wars game they haven't released anything since they had their breakout success.

I want us all to agree that Bungie always sucked.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
you are clearly obsessed with vr2, when you're not hating on jim ryan (valid), you're hating on psvr2 (invalid)

You've been exposed and buried by me for the 12th and final time.

From now on, everyone just disregard what @Danja1187 says about PSVR2, he has an agenda, probably paid off by Xbox. No wonder he gets salty when he sees Xbox jokes 😂🤣
It the fact you think I come here to be validated by whether you or anyone agrees with me 🤣.

The only thing that's being buried is them PSVR2 sales update that Sony won't give out... It's been almost a year since the last update... Buried ⚰️

I'm paid off by Xbox to what? Not care and obsess about them? Imagine this being a PlayStation centric forum but y'all come here to talk about Xbox? Sorry I can't relate 🤣.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Why is "other than star wars" a valid caveat? I don't even like Star Wars and those games are great.
It's established IP made by another internal studio. ND for example has tried multiple times to divide itself and it hasn't worked yet.

We have many more examples of the contrary, studios that used to release games regularly that stopped releasing anything once they had a GaaS hit.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It's established IP made by another internal studio. ND for example has tried multiple times to divide itself and it hasn't worked yet.

i still don't get it. the comparison between Respawn and ND seems completely valid to me.

also re ND: dividing the team famously worked to release last of us 2 years after uncharted 3. all fingers crossed it's working right now that they're not totally empty handed with the cancellation of Last of Us online. if we're actually 8 years away from the next ND game (since it takes 8+ years to make a game now and they can only make one at a time), that's a disasterous spot to be in.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
It the fact you think I come here to be validated by whether you or anyone agrees with me 🤣.

The only thing that's being buried is them PSVR2 sales update that Sony won't give out... It's been almost a year since the last update... Buried ⚰️

I'm paid off by Xbox to what? Not care and obsess about them? Imagine this being a PlayStation centric forum but y'all come here to talk about Xbox? Sorry I can't relate 🤣.
I hope Xbox is paying you well, but no amount of money is ever worth doing this kind of work.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Games get canned all the time - GAAS titles don't cost much more to start developing than SP games without considering other factors. It's the content creation and maintenance post-release that makes them expensive to develop.

That's all to say that while I'm sure some are gleefully pointing to why betting on GAAS was a bad move, this doesn't prove your point out at all.

Game development timelines were greatly impacted by COVID and "no they weren't" is not an argument I'll entertain.

This is terrible news nonetheless. Sony didn't need to cut 900 jobs because they're still fucking profitable.
Yes, to cancel games is normal and like everyone else they got impacted by covid.

Sony (in this case SIE) is profitable and doing well, but it's true they had to cut some fat to raise profitability right now because of several issues affecting the global economy (inflation, unstability because of USA vs China and Russia, yen vs dollar exchange, interest rates....), tech industries (investors moving to IA), global gaming industry (growth paused post covid due to factors like customers getting affected by covid global crysis and inflation, rise in hardware and shipment costs etc).

In the specific case of SIE they are performing great but on top of all these issues of the market they also had costs related to recent acquisitions affecting their profitability, and investment in a record gazillion huge games under development also obviously taking costs and affecting their profitability.

Now they need to lower costs, raise profitability and use part of that money to buy back Sony stocks to protect themselves against potential market shifts or stock market getting hit by several potential issues that may arise in the next few years (USA vs BRICS getting worse, dollar and multiple important countries collapsing, bigger move from investors to AI, etc).

They also also have to make sure they don't have all their eggs in the same basket diversifying in multiple stable and promising markets and that they protect these eggs well.

Lol if 10 PC ports combined selling less than what Ragnarok did in 1 day is what you call "very profitable", the it's no wonder why Sony is in deep doodoo.
You can see in the Insomniac leaks their individual costs (barely a handful million) of the PC ports and their early sales, which are way over a dozen millions in revenue. You can also see Sony posts in their fiscal reports hundreds of millions in revenue of their SIE games outisde PS, with a big YoY increase.

That's a bigger ROI than any AAA PS only release, including their fastest selling ever game, GoWR or SpiderMan 2.

A 2M port generating $12M for Sony (after removing taxes, Steam cut, refunds etc) is a ROI of 6x.

A game that costs 300M being sold at $70 (let's ignore discounts and price drops as if they didn't exist, and let's ignore that part of these $70 goes to taxes, retailer, making the boxes and disk, shipments etc) would need 25.7M units sold to get a ROI of 6X.

And again, this is ignoring a ton of units are sold discounted and all the other costs behind a console game copy. So probaly would need to sell maybe over 30M to get a 6X ROI.

And this is a 6x ROI of a PC port is for a game selling around 300K units on PC, as you know most PC ports sell way more.

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Now they need to lower costs, raise profitability and use part of that money to buy back Sony stocks to protect themselves against potential market shifts or stock market getting hit by several potential issues that may arise in the next few years (USA vs BRICS getting worse, dollar and multiple important countries collapsing, bigger move from investors to AI, etc).
lol shareholder-era. now that we've purchased depressed shares, they need to get on those buybacks ASAP!

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
i still don't get it. the comparison between Respawn and ND seems completely valid to me.

also re ND: dividing the team famously worked to release last of us 2 years after uncharted 3. all fingers crossed it's working right now that they're not totally empty handed with the cancellation of Last of Us online. if we're actually 8 years away from the next ND game (since it takes 8+ years to make a game now and they can only make one at a time), that's a disasterous spot to be in.
It famously didn't work as the team reverted to everyone working on TLoU, they said it publicly at the time.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
If only Sony would pay you to convince people to buy a PSVR2 and defend its faltering sales. Why astroturf for free?
So I exposed your lying and shilling and that makes me an astroturfer? 😂

Please, if I'm an astroturfer, find me a SINGLE thing I've EVER said in regards to PSVR2 that isn't 100% factual, I'll wait. If you can find one, I'll buy you ANY game you want. If I'm an astroturfer, it should be easy to find right?

If you can't, then how is me simply stating the truth being an astroturfer? 😂🤣 Astroturfing would require me to be a liar or be disingenuous, which is something that YOU do, not me 😁