Playstation portal review thread and |OT| "The power is now in your hands" |UP| Accolades Trailer.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Again that’s irrelevant because extra distance doesn’t add extra latency, the only thing that matters is the wifi connection of your respective remote play device. Also 50-80ms isn’t bad at all lol I played league at 150 ping for years.
50-80ms one way turns into 100-160ms round trip, because your portal has to send your inputs back to your ps5. Also it's common to have 200+ms ping from coast to coast, once you're out of state it's minimum 30-40ms. And there is no lag compensation on the ps5 as opposed to normal multiplayer servers.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
50-80ms one way turns into 100-160ms round trip, because your portal has to send your inputs back to your ps5. Also it's common to have 200+ms ping from coast to coast, once you're out of state it's minimum 30-40ms. And there is no lag compensation on the ps5 as opposed to normal multiplayer servers.
Again this convos pointless because there’s no extra latency that comes with distance 😂 having a strong internet connect 500 miles away will provide a much better experience than if you had a poor internet connection 5 feet away. Distance is wholly irrelevant.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This is wrong, distance is irrelevant 🤦‍♂️ you’re the most pro PlayStation guy here, you should know better. You can be hundreds of miles away and as long as you have good internet, remote play will work fine.

This guys PS5 was in the UK and he took a trip to Spain and his remote play experience was still great.

Again that’s irrelevant because extra distance doesn’t add extra latency, the only thing that matters is the wifi connection of your respective remote play device. Also 50-80ms isn’t bad at all lol I played league at 150 ping for years.
Again this convos pointless because there’s no extra latency that comes with distance 😂 having a strong internet connect 500 miles away will provide a much better experience than if you had a poor internet connection 5 feet away. Distance is wholly irrelevant.

This is wrong. The more the distance between two devices, the bigger the latency. It doesn't mean that the increased latency causes a problem necessarily, but I less you want to break the laws of physics, this is all but expected.

A simple Google search provides many results that confirm this.

In modern networks, the primary source of latency is distance. This factor is also called propagation delay. The speed of light in a fiber is roughly 200,000 km per second, which gives us 5 ms per 1000 km single-direction and the mnemonic rule of 1 ms of round-trip time per 100 km.

However, fibers rarely follow as-the-crow-flies lines on the map, so the true distance is not always easy to estimate. While the routes of submarine cables are more or less straightforward, metro fiber paths in highly urbanized areas are anything but.

I'd recommend reading that article.

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
This is wrong. The more the distance between two devices, the bigger the latency. It doesn't mean that the increased latency causes a problem, but I less you want to break the laws of physics, this is all but expected.

A simple Google search provides many results that confirms this.
Ok if a simple Google search provides many results that confirm it, can you post one? I can’t seem to find any. Because I and many others that have used remote play hundreds of miles away from our consoles and don’t notice any extra latency. It’s not anecdotal if countless people are having the same experience.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
This is wrong. The more the distance between two devices, the bigger the latency. It doesn't mean that the increased latency causes a problem necessarily, but I less you want to break the laws of physics, this is all but expected.

A simple Google search provides many results that confirm this.

In modern networks, the primary source of latency is distance. This factor is also called propagation delay. The speed of light in a fiber is roughly 200,000 km per second, which gives us 5 ms per 1000 km single-direction and the mnemonic rule of 1 ms of round-trip time per 100 km.

However, fibers rarely follow as-the-crow-flies lines on the map, so the true distance is not always easy to estimate. While the routes of submarine cables are more or less straightforward, metro fiber paths in highly urbanized areas are anything but.

I'd recommend reading that article.
I see you edited after I responded, man that is so irrelevant, at most thats an extra 16ms added over 1000 miles which is negligible 😂 Also that's just 1 piece of the puzzle, there are other factors that compensate for this stuff in Sony's remote play protocol. So yes, distance is still irrelevant!!

But if you wanna be nitpicky then sure, distance effects remote play experience....

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
I see you edited after I responded, man that is so irrelevant, at most thats an extra 16ms added over 1000 miles which is negligible 😂 Also that's just 1 piece of the puzzle, there are other factors that compensate for this stuff in Sony's remote play protocol. So yes, distance is still irrelevant!!

But if you wanna be nitpicky then sure, distance effects remote play experience....

So you were wrong. Good to see you admitting to that. Also, you should read before making napkin math. I purposely omitted what came after.

However, fibers rarely follow as-the-crow-flies lines on the map
, so the true distance is not always easy to estimate. While the routes of submarine cables are more or less straightforward, metro fiber paths in highly urbanized areas are anything but. And so, real-world RTT values can be roughly determined by coupling the above rule with the following considerations:
  • For multi-thousand kilometers long, transcontinental routes: as-the-crow-flies distance multiplied by a factor of 1.5
  • For shorter, terrestrial urban routes: as-the-crow-flies distance multiplied by a factor of 2.

And

Sticking with this analogy, we can imagine that you want to drive from your home to some place 1000 km away. The following factors will contribute to the total time it takes you to make this trip:
  • Distance-related propagation delay is added because you can't drive 1000 km in much less than half a day, no matter how expensive your car is (you can't overcome the speed of light in a fiber).
  • Serialization delay is added when you drive through urban areas, with intersections, traffic lights and one-way lanes (low bit-rate access interfaces).
  • Queuing delay is added when you get stuck in traffic jams (interface buffers).

Here's another page that kinda describes a method of calculating latency

For example, a Chicago/Dallas wavelength latency estimate might be:
  • 925 miles x 110% = 1017.5 miles
  • + 100 miles (Chicago local fiber) = 1117.5 miles
  • + 100 miles (Dallas fiber) = 1217.5 miles
  • x 2 = 2435 miles (round-trip)
  • / 124 msec/mile = 19.6 msec
  • + 2 msec = 22 msec (electronics)
Note that your carrier may provide a guarantee for latency which is a generic number of milliseconds (e.g. 50 msec for any wavelength within North America). It’s useful to name the fiber path to be used, on your contract or service order with the carrier, to ensure that your circuit is not routed through a fiber route which is unnecessarily long but is still within the carrier’s SLA.

Now, again, I did not dispute that the portal may have great qualities and that the represented latency may be inconsequential, I just wanted to correct your confidently incorrect statement.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
So you were wrong. Good to see you admitting to that. Also, you should read before making napkin math. I purposely omitted what came after.

And

Now, again, I did not dispute that the portal may have great qualities and that the represented latency may be inconsequential, I just wanted to correct your confidently incorrect statement.
Yes I conceded, you’re right ….distance does add latency, like me spitting in the ocean adds depth 😂🤣

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yes I conceded, you’re right ….distance does add latency, like me spitting in the ocean adds depth 😂🤣
16, 20, whatever ms, are not inconsequential. There's a reason why there was a race to lower latency in displays in the late 90s and early 00s.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This is wrong, distance is irrelevant 🤦‍♂️ you’re the most pro PlayStation guy here, you should know better. You can be hundreds of miles away and as long as you have good internet, remote play will work fine.

This guys PS5 was in the UK and he took a trip to Spain and his remote play experience was still great.

It isn't wrong, it's laws of physics.

A different thing is that the added lag from long distances would be acceptable for you (and insulting for other people), or that depending on the game genre it would be irrelevant. I mean, in a turn based game as could be a cards game or a JPRG you won't care about the lag. But in games where precise and fast actions and reactions are key, as could be in Street Fighter, DMC, or a FPS the lag will affect more to the experience.

I know a case of people playing it in the north east of Spain with the console being in the south west of Spain, around 1000 KMs away, at it worked pretty well, with a lag similar to your average online multiplayer match. And also a couple cases where when doing it in the same city it was unplayable (because external things affect like the internet traffic between both places -it changes depending on the hour of the day-, internet quality in both sides, etc.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023

And

You are wrong though.

In this case, the matter is the distance between the router and the device(if LAN-wired)

or the distance between the device and data center of your ISP
if you use it far from home, and it also take connection of your home internet into equation.

Fibres added really little, basically nano-ms seconds of delay per km, think of it like Alternative Current Electricity.

Copper works more like wavelength module.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Not only does distance add latency, the number of gateways/routers that the packets travel through. Each hop can add ~1ms of latency and it's common to have 20-30 hops if you're going cross country. So if you're going 3000km away that's 50ms latency from distance plus another 30ms from packet routing. Bare minimum.

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
A buddy of mine bought one, and he has traveled with it and uses the hotspot on his phone and says it plays great. I would be more inclined to buy one if they add the ability to open a landing page (like from a hotel) so I would be able to use it in my travels.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
A buddy of mine bought one, and he has traveled with it and uses the hotspot on his phone and says it plays great. I would be more inclined to buy one if they add the ability to open a landing page (like from a hotel) so I would be able to use it in my travels.

What was the issue with PS5 browser?
I've navigated to icon-era.com on PS5?

View attachment 3107

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
What was the issue with PS5 browser?
I've navigated to icon-era.com on PS5?

View attachment 3107
It's my understanding that the PS Portal doesn't support a browser. So when I go to a hotel and I choose their wifi network, the hotel will push out a webpage requiring you to enter your last name and room number for example, in order to access the internet. This isn't anything to do with the PS5 browser.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's my understanding that the PS Portal doesn't support a browser. So when I go to a hotel and I choose their wifi network, the hotel will push out a webpage requiring you to enter your last name and room number for example, in order to access the internet. This isn't anything to do with the PS5 browser.
There's apparently a workaround where you use your phone to spoof the portal's mac address so you can sign into the landing page on your phone then swap to your portal ..but it's pretty dank and they shouldn't require you to resort to such methods.

• Heart
Reactions: KvallyX
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
There's apparently a workaround where you use your phone to spoof the portal's mac address so you can sign into the landing page on your phone then swap to your portal ..but it's pretty dank and they shouldn't require you to resort to such methods.
Yeah thy need to have a direct fix.