Playstation portal review thread and |OT| "The power is now in your hands" |UP| Accolades Trailer.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
This guy is my favorite tech channel on YouTube and he's also giving it glowing reviews, pretty much said as long as your internet is good you'll have a good experience. And that it's a better experience than a backbone or using an ipad. He's also roasting people in the comments 😂😂

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
The individuals joining in the hate campaign usually falls into 4 groups:
  • Insecure Individuals who feel like this product's existence is going to hurt their Switch, Rog Ally or Steam Deck.
  • Individuals who said that Sony should have just made a dedicated handheld device, not understanding that this is an accessory and they probably didn't support the Vita when it was out.
For me it's sort of the inverse of that first quoted bullet point? Like I think a proper handheld with PS+ streaming would be a better competitor in the face of those other devices. I really hope the eventual state of Portal is to have cloud streaming added in a future update.

Second quoted bullet point can be ended after first sentence only. That opinion can still be held whilst knowing it's (just) an accessory, and ones wanting a handheld probably had a PSP and Vita, or they'd be somewhat more casual/blahzay about the screen controller form factor and not be saying they should have made a proper handheld?

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
For me it's sort of the inverse of that first quoted bullet point? Like I think a proper handheld with PS+ streaming would be a better competitor in the face of those other devices. I really hope the eventual state of Portal is to have cloud streaming added in a future update.

Second quoted bullet point can be ended after first sentence only. That opinion can still be held whilst knowing it's (just) an accessory, and ones wanting a handheld probably had a PSP and Vita, or they'd be somewhat more casual/blahzay about the screen controller form factor and not be saying they should have made a proper handheld?
*blasè

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Digital Clownery spreading fake news about the Portal. Richard said the further you are away from your PS5, the worse your Portal remote play experience will be. 🤦‍♂️ And this guy is supposed to be a “tech expert”. There are videos of people using remote play in entirely different countries and it still works well. SMH

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Digital Clownery spreading fake news about the Portal. Richard said the further you are away from your PS5, the worse your Portal remote play experience will be. 🤦‍♂️ And this guy is supposed to be a “tech expert”. There are videos of people using remote play in entirely different countries and it still works well. SMH

Only factor is wifi or mobile data.

These idiots spreading FUD. Sony should takes this seriously and send some qualified ninjas.

Reactions: JAHGamer

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023

I don't think that is how it supposed to work.

More like the further away you get from the router or Mesh wifi

Reactions: JAHGamer

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I encountered possibly the dumbest statement about the PS Portal.

YouTube handheld system reviewer Retro Gaming Corps. did a review of the Portal where he repeatedly states “it isn’t a handheld device”.

He even says it while showing b-roll of him holding it in his hands.

What he means to say is it isn’t a handheld gaming system, but his choice of words makes him come off like an idiot. He doesn’t help that perception by claiming there’s nothing on PS5 that doesn’t have a PS4 version.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Well, it's technically true that more distance means more latency, more chances to lose packages and more chances to get an "internet traffic jam" causing stutters or bad quality video. Always is a big "it depends".

If the console is wired -with a remotely decent shielded cable to protect it from interferences- to a decent and properly configured router that doesn't have other devices connected which is conneced to a fast and reliable fiber connection, and in the other side the client is also connected to a similar fast fiber connection with a properly configured decent router and the PS Player is not too far from the router it should work decently but with more lag than when playing locally, maybe with a bit worse image quality and with maybe a bit more stutter.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Well, it's technically true that more distance means more latency, more chances to lose packages and more chances to get an "internet traffic jam" causing stutters or bad quality video. Always is a big "it depends".

If the console is wired -with a remotely decent shielded cable to protect it from interferences- to a decent and properly configured router that doesn't have other devices connected which is conneced to a fast and reliable fiber connection, and in the other side the client is also connected to a similar fast fiber connection with a properly configured decent router and the PS Player is not too far from the router it should work decently but with more lag than when playing locally, maybe with a bit worse image quality and with maybe a bit more stutter.
This is wrong, distance is irrelevant 🤦‍♂️ you’re the most pro PlayStation guy here, you should know better. You can be hundreds of miles away and as long as you have good internet, remote play will work fine.

This guys PS5 was in the UK and he took a trip to Spain and his remote play experience was still great.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
This is wrong, distance is irrelevant 🤦‍♂️ you’re the most pro PlayStation guy here, you should know better. You can be hundreds of miles away and as long as you have good internet, remote play will work fine.

This guys PS5 was in the UK and he took a trip to Spain and his remote play experience was still great.

Well the latency would become very annoying at >50-80ms but if you're used to dialup then maybe?

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Well the latency would become very annoying at >50-80ms but if you're used to dialup then maybe?
Again that’s irrelevant because extra distance doesn’t add extra latency, the only thing that matters is the wifi connection of your respective remote play device. Also 50-80ms isn’t bad at all lol I played league at 150 ping for years.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters