PlayStation Showcase 2023 [OT]

24 Jun 2022
This is why I could never be an Xbox fan. Company executives support and parrot fanboys

Aaron Greenberg is such a shameless sack of stale Cool Ranch Doritos. None too surprising.

OHWv3Ks.jpg

Sony look what you did! Hope you’re happy!

I have a working theory that the last PS Showcase was purposefully mediocre because Sony were actually parodying Microsoft's Xbox Showcase.

At least, the one from last year, tho the 2021 one is kinda sus in hindsight considering how some of those games turned out.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Can't fault Xbox for trying to build some hype. Hermen should be ashamed but then he's the Phil Spencer of Playstation. Playstation third Party relations guys (can't remember his name) ia basically carrying the entire division on his backs currently.

Curious to see what Xbox has tho. They'll be throwing everything and the kitchen sink into this. Let's see what 3rd party stuff they managed to snatch away as well.

Playstation needs a fire lit under them, so let's hope..

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Can't fault Xbox for trying to build some hype. Hermen should be ashamed but then he's the Phil Spencer of Playstation. Playstation third Party relations guys (can't remember his name) ia basically carrying the entire division on his backs currently.

Curious to see what Xbox has tho. They'll be throwing everything and the kitchen sink into this. Let's see what 3rd party stuff they managed to snatch away as well.

Let's say you are right and that Sony's studios are crumbling because Jim made some fundamental changes, and that this is something that can be fixed by replacing Jim tomorrow... It would take at least 5 years before an AAA game could be previewed seriously (maybe announced in 2 or 3?) and for some real gameplay we would need to wait 1 year or so. maybe shipped 7 years from now.

So we'll see.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Let's say you are right and that Sony's studios are crumbling because Jim made some fundamental changes, and that this is something that can be fixed by replacing Jim tomorrow... It would take at least 5 years before an AAA game could be previewed seriously (maybe announced in 2 or 3?) and for some real gameplay we would need to wait 1 year or so. maybe shipped 7 years from now.

So we'll see.
Well I am not blaming Jim. My issue is with Hermen. The guy fell upwards. I don't think he understands the playstation base personally.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75 and SSfox

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
OHWv3Ks.jpg

Sony look what you did! Hope you’re happy!

If the Halo series was actually received well this statement would be different… They’d be advertising the season 2 teaser at the event and telling you to be super hyped to tune in for it…

But the show sucked… so they can’t do that can they?

Reactions: Swift_Star

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Hermen should be ashamed but then he's the Phil Spencer of Playstation. Playstation third Party relations guys (can't remember his name) ia basically carrying the entire division on his backs currently.
Well I am not blaming Jim. My issue is with Hermen. The guy fell upwards. I don't think he understands the playstation base personally.

Ashamed for what? Lol, let's ignore that in the last year or so Hermen (he's in charge of PS Studios, Sony's non-Bungie 1st and 2nd party games) released:
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • The Last of Us Part 1
  • Gran Turismo 7 + game updates
  • Horizon Forbidden West + DLC
  • MLB
  • Returnal's free expansion
And PC ports of:
  • Spider-Man
  • Spider-Man Morales
  • TLOUP1
  • Returnal
  • Sackboy
  • Uncharted Legacy of Thieves
And Hermen/PS Studios has announced for the rest of 2023 so far:
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Stellar Blade
  • Helldivers 2
  • Firewall Ultra
  • Convallaria
  • Ratchet PC port
And beyond that, most of them pretty likely releasing in 2024 they already have announced stuff like:
  • Wolverine
  • Concord (FPS from former Bungie and ther top FPS staff)
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Lost Soul Aside
  • Marathon (this one from Bungie, not from Hermen/PS Studios)
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Fairgame$ (from formerRainbow Six Siege, Assassin's Creed and Watchdogs and other top AAA staff)
People really has issues accepting reality if really thinks this is a bad 1st/2nd party output that doesn't understand the PlayStation fanbase) and that SIE 3rd party team is carrying the division.

Last edited:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Ashamed for what? Lol, let's ignore that in the last year or so Hermen (he's in charge of PS Studios, Sony's non-Bungie 1st and 2nd party games) released:
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • The Last of Us Part 1
  • Gran Turismo 7 + game updates
  • Horizon Forbidden West + DLC
  • MLB
  • Returnal's free expansion
And PC ports of:
  • Spider-Man
  • Spider-Man Morales
  • TLOUP1
  • Returnal
  • Sackboy
  • Uncharted Legacy of Thieves
And Hermen/PS Studios has announced for the rest of 2023 so far:
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Stellar Blade
  • Helldivers 2
  • Firewall Ultra
  • Convallaria
  • Ratchet PC port
And beyond that, most of them pretty likely releasing in 2024 they already have announced stuff like:
  • Wolverine
  • Concord (FPS from former Bungie and ther top FPS staff)
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Lost Soul Aside
  • Marathon (this one from Bungie, not from Hermen/PS Studios)
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Fairgame$ (from formerRainbow Six Siege, Assassin's Creed and Watchdogs and other top AAA staff)
People really has issues accepting reality if really thinks this is a bad 1st/2nd party output that doesn't understand the PlayStation fanbase) and that SIE 3rd party team is carrying the division.
Almost Everything you listed was because of Shu and not Hermen. We are just seeing Hermen and Jim's vision and of course it was a massive failure.

Even Shu has indirectly spoken about the dangers of GaaS recently..

And listing PC ports as a net positive? Some of you have lost y'all minds like Playstation leadership.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Unfortunately I think Jim and Hermen are not in touch with the fanbase and they won’t even notice a fire is under them.
You’d think MS buying Bethesda, Ninja Theory, Obsidian and trying to buy Activision would make them come aggressive after 2 years..

Last edited:
Reactions: SSfox and Nhomnhom

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Unfortunately I think Jim and Hermen are not in touch with the fanbase and they won’t even notice a fire is under them.
You’d think MS buying Bethesda, Ninja Theory, Obsidian and trying to buy Activision would make them come aggressive
Jim is a very aggressive business man, which is why Xbox sent out their shills after him the moment he was promoted. The issue Sony have a CEO who literally said right before the PS5 came out that gaming was a niche makert. I'm almost sure he's handicapped the division over the years. His out of touch move to almost give Microsoft total control of the PSN backend for streaming and data centers proved this.

If they had a CEO like Satya fully backing them, im sure we'd see Jim flex his muscles.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Almost Everything you listed was because of Shu and not Hermen.
Not true, Shu has been working only with indies since 4 years ago.

It's true that some (most) of the released games were originally greenlighted by Shu but how they evolved since 2019, how they grew their teams, how they were provided by acquired support and porting studios to further support them, and how they have been marketed since 2019 is because of Hermen and Jim.

We are just seeing Hermen and Jim's vision and of course it was a massive failure.
Blatant lie, it isn't a failure because they are performing better than ever in all fronts and breaking records of all kinds. Including 1st party game sales and awards.

It's also Hermen and Jim decision to invest more money than ever on non-GaaS SP traditional console 1st party exclusives, also in 2nd party and also in 3rd party console exclusives.

No, he didn't.

And listing PC ports as a net positive? Some of you have lost y'all minds like Playstation leadership.
I was only listing their output to highlight that your sentence about 'their 3rd party team was basically carrying the entire division' was blatantly wrong.

And yes, to get extra hundreds of millions of profit across different years it's a positive because helps to fund brand new AAA games, which get more and more expensive every generation and by give them extra revenue sources make them a safer bet.

And as factual numbers show, help them reach more players without negatively hurting console game sales or console hardware sales, which are better than ever. That includes existing fans who want to play the games with more powerful specs, players from countries where there aren't consoles or people who only play on PC but would like to play Sony games, and after playing them a small portion of them may end buying a PS5 to play all their console only games, whose number will grow every year because their yearly output will be bigger than the pc releases one.

I'm almost sure he's handicapped the division over the years.
No, Jim invested more than ever in all the fronts that the division had. The division has now more resources than they ever had.

His out of touch move to almost give Microsoft total control of the PSN backend for streaming and data centers proved this.
You keep telling blatant lies, this is totally wrong. Sony didn't give anything to MS regarding cloud gaming other than to allow them to use their cloud gaming patented concepts for whatever price they agreed.

A data center is only a building prepared to store servers. So companies can rent space to store there their servers as it's the case of Sony's PSN and dedicated cloud gaming servers (case in which obviously aren't touched by the owner of the datacenter, it's like saying that because you rented a parking slot the owner of the parking drives or owns your car) or in cases where -unlike in Sony's cloud gaming servers, because they are modified PS4 and PS3 hardware- they can use normal PC hardware as servers, they can rent server usage.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
PlayStation is all about pleasing the people that don't own PlayStation. It migth make sense from a businesses perspective specially in the short-term but it puts them at risk of eroding most of the good things PlayStation has going on for them.

GaaS and PC ain't going to bail PlayStation if the console business falters.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Not true, Shu has been working only with indies since 4 years ago.

It's true that some (most) of the released games were originally greenlighted by Shu but how they evolved in the recent years, how they grew their teams, how they were provided by acquired support and porting studios to further support them, and how they have been marketed is because of Hermen and Jim.

Blatant lie, they are performing better than ever in all fronts and breaking records of all kinds. Including 1st party game sales and awards.

It's also Hermen and Jim decision to invest more money than ever on non-GaaS SP traditional console 1st party exclusives, also in 2nd party and also in 3rd party.

No, he didn't.

I was only listing their output to highlight that your sentence about 'their 3rd party team was basically carrying the entire division' was blatantly wrong.

And yes, to get extra hundreds of millions of profit across different years it's a positive because helps to fund brand new AAA games, which get more and more expensive every generation and by give them extra revenue sources make them a safer bet.

And as factual numbers show, help them reach more players without negatively hurting console game sales or console hardware sales, which are better than ever..
1) All those first party games are because of Shu and that's not up for debate. Hermen was given the foundation all he had to do was let the teams do their jobs. Expansion started under Shu as he wanted to even turn Guerilla into a two studio team so they can get games out every 3 years.

2) we are just seeing Hermen's games that he greenlighted again, A Fact!

3) first party sales have been on the decline and this year will be ni different. God of War broke records again... Another Shu foundation that a certain someone inherited, just like Cory's new IP which was greenlighted by Shu.

What we have seen from Hermen is Fairgame, Concord and we certainly didn't see much at all lol.

4) Yes Shu spoke about the dangers of GaaS recently.

5) my 3rd party comment was about the show case and yes without 3rd party they had no conference.

6) hundreds of millions? The profit from their PC sales are abysmal. 250 million last quarter and even missing their target. That money could literally only fund one AAA game. What's gonna happen when they've given PC all their games? And devalued their brand? It ain't worth it.

All they've done is further stretched their first party devs thinner, now ND for example gotta be pushing out PC patches weekly

Hermen has not shown me why I should have faith in him. He's just been coasting off someone's else's foundation until now.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
As time passes it becomes ever more clear how the showcase dropped like a nuclear bomb of on the PlayStation community and massively boosted the morale for to Xbox players that were on an all time low place.

I don't remember any change of momentum so big since the Xbox One reveal.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I don't remember any change of momentum so big since the Xbox One reveal.
That's just a ridiculous statement. You're comparing one of the biggest PR disasters in the history of gaming to a mediocre show. A show, mind you, that's viewed as a pretty solid one outside of the hardcore minority. Hell, one segment of that show has more engagement that several latest Xbox shows combined.

And the only thing from Xbox we've had are the same things we've had for years. Same promises.

There's a pretty good chance this Xbox showcase will blow Sony's out of the water. It's not a high bar. They deserve it, with what they decided to show after 2 years.

But comparing this to the reveal of the Xone is outlandish.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
That's just a ridiculous statement. You're comparing one of the biggest PR disasters in the history of gaming to a mediocre show. A show, mind you, that's viewed as a pretty solid one outside of the hardcore minority. Hell, one segment of that show has more engagement that several latest Xbox shows combined.

And the only thing from Xbox we've had are the same things we've had for years. Same promises.

There's a pretty good chance this Xbox showcase will blow Sony's out of the water. It's not a high bar. They deserve it, with what they decided to show after 2 years.

But comparing this to the reveal of the Xone is outlandish.
I just said it's the biggest momentum change since the Xbox One. Sorry, but the only ridiculous thing here is your lack of text comprehension.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Almost Everything you listed was because of Shu and not Hermen. We are just seeing Hermen and Jim's vision and of course it was a massive failure.

How does the future look like?

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I just said it's the biggest momentum change since the Xbox One. Sorry, but the only ridiculous thing here is your lack of text comprehension.
No, no I get it. But the Xbox reveal shifted an entire console generation one way. It was a full stop to whatever Xbox accomplished with the 360. This isn't going to do that.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
No, no I get it. But the Xbox reveal shifted an entire console generation one way. It was a full stop to whatever Xbox accomplished with the 360. This isn't going to do that.
I know it isn't but even if it's not on the same scale it's the most similar thing unless we go back to the PS3 gen. To me this was brutal and cough me by surprise.

Massive wait since the last event + lack of single player announcements + all in on GaaS + Factions delay/issues, was just a disastrous combination.

I'm not even saying it will necessarily hurt Sony, but it hurts my how view them. I don't have many alternatives since I like PlayStation so I'll just hope for the best (I even bought a new PS5 this week I'm not a hater).

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
There is no momentum change from this, MS has not shipped anything substantial... Sony has great games shipping (as always), and their big studios are still working on projects.

Just the attention Spiderman 2 and Marathon got is proof of that.

This is not like ND, Stanta Monica and the rest had closed shop all of a sudden.

You people are way too much in whatever bubble you are into, a bubble where MS wins by default because of some overly inflated more or less relevant metric pushed by the your media bubble.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters