PlayStation Showcase 2023 [OT]

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
There is no momentum change from this, MS has not shipped anything substantial... Sony has great games shipping (as always), and their big studios are still working on projects.

Just the attention Spiderman 2 and Marathon got is proof of that.

This is not like ND, Stanta Monica and the rest had closed shop all of a sudden.

You people are way too much in whatever bubble you are into, a bubble where MS wins by default because of some overly inflated more or less relevant metric pushed by the your media bubble.
To me there definettly was. Everyone was ready to attend Xbox funeral and we just witnessed it's apparent resurrection. MS will probably fuck it all up again but now there is an opening.

A chink in PlayStation armor was exposed. Sony wasn't hiding a stacked hand, they mostly had a hand full of GaaS and seem out of touch.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Oh The Drama GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
To me there definettly was. Everyone was ready to attend Xbox funeral and we just witnessed it's apparent resurrection. MS will probably fuck it all up again but now there is an opening.

A chink in PlayStation armor was exposed. Sony wasn't hiding a stacked hand, they mostly had a hand full of GaaS and seem out of touch.
Just before the xbox doom cycle we had a bad playstation cycle... None of these drama cycles really mean much.

- Xbox sales are still falling off a cliff
- Xbox still has shipped a completely broken game

Sony did not meet some people's expectations in a showcase, which is something that happens all the time... people are going crazy to get the clicks. The only world where this showcase is bad is compared to other similar showcases that Sony, and only Sony, has done in the past.

Back in the xbone 1 days sony had revealed a great console, with better hardware, more flexible DRM, indies in there to patch up the holes in the early release cycle, so on and so forth. and MS really did not help themselves with a very weak console, restrictive DRM (pity on those who don't get that Gamepass is the culmination of that strategy) as well as a show that was as much about TV as it was about games.

If this turns out to be a trend (give it time to simmer) we could have this discussion in two or three years, assuming MS does better with xbox. Otherwise it may hurt Sony, but why would people change their habits and buy xboxes instead? there is still no reason to get an xbox.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony did not meet some people's expectations in a showcase, which is something that happens all the time...
Nah, don't gaslight me, I follow these shows for more than a decade, this shit was highly unusual.

A showcase or E3 presentation is not a State of Play (those in fact mostly suck and somehow keep being ever more disappointing).

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Nah, don't gaslight me, I follow these shows for more than a decate, this shit was highly unusualy.

A showcase or E3 presentation is not a State of Play (those in fact mostly suck and somehow keep being ever more disappointing).
You are right, Sony will never be able to finish this console generation and remain in business unless they sell playstation.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
This, so much this

Been saying this since a while ago.
And unfortunately it seems quite a few playstation fans will continue to defend incompetent leadership even after this man has consistently shown how out of touch and nonchalant he is.

But at least they can always go check out his many vacations and yacht time on IG, to see how awesome he is.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom and SSfox

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
And unfortunately it seems quite a few playstation fans will continue to defend incompetent leadership even after this man has consistently shown how out of touch and nonchalant he is.

But at least they can always go check out his many vacations and yacht time on IG, to see how awesome he is.
This guy literally killed Japan Studio, just to buy trash shooters GaaS studios and a PC port studio. This guy is completely out of touch when it comes to PlayStation brand. Respectfully if you defend this clown then you're not a playstation fan to me.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
This guy literally killed Japan Studio, just to buy trash shooters GaaS studios and a PC port studio. This guy is completely out of touch when it comes to PlayStation brand. Respectfully if you defend this clown then you're not a playstation fan to me.
Don't forget he's the one who scaled back the budget and resources of the The last of Us Remake.

And yes! Killing Japan Studios will forever haunt them. Their output was consistent and efficient compared to the Western division.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Expansion into GAAS is good, it was necessary... We needed a big sony owned shooter or two.

I actually really want something like PS Home.

What the show really highlighted to me though is the lack of investment and expansion in the single player space, where they also need to branch out and add diversity.

They could have bought Kadokawa and added From to the first party, easily and fueled PlayStation with surefire hits for decades to come.... but no. That is what frustrates me.

A first party fighting game by Arc System Works? Buy them!
But again...no. Now their games are appearing on Xbox and Sony owns EVO but owns not a single fighting game.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Expansion into GAAS is good, it was necessary... We needed a big sony owned shooter or two.

I actually really want something like PS Home.

What the show really highlighted to me though is the lack of investment and expansion in the single player space, where they also need to branch out and add diversity.

They could have bought Kadokawa and added From to the first party, easily and fueled PlayStation with surefire hits for decades to come.... but no. That is what frustrates me.

A first party fighting game by Arc System Works? Buy them!
But again...no. Now their games are appearing on Xbox and Sony owns EVO but owns not a single fighting game.
This is it. I understand the push for GaaS and it is necessary. I love multiplayer games.

PS Home should have been a project being worked on for PS4 but more short-sightedness.

Even the GaaS games they showed didn't seem ready at all. How do you debut a multiplayer game without showing the game, it was just a piss poor showing from WWS.

It's baffling they still haven't gotten an in-house fighting developer.

• Shake
Reactions: Puff and Bryank75

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
This is a big issue with Sony lately, a lack of passion. I hold Hermen Hulst responsible for this

But they bought studios to port games to PC! (y)

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Lost pretty much all interest in listening to Sacred Symbols, I can't stand brand apologists (I feel like there is not a single decent PlayStation focused gaming podcast). Colin is an obvious fanboy calling other people warriors for having standards as if he was the only one that had a PS3 (as if that mattered).

So what if Sony has done worst in the past? Two years without a showcase to then show up with zero single player games and days after revealing some very disastrous plans to investors is not a "very good show". Gtfo...

Last edited:

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
True free thinkers often walk a lonely path.

This is no different than party politics. Partisanship permeates everything... no matter how much denial and spin is said to the contrary by those engaged in it. Some fans now find themselves in the "radical" wing of the party per say while others claim themselves to be moderate or open while shilling for establishment rule from the elite (leadership). It's striking how much the behavior of fanboys, fanboy media etc mirrors politics, and it has to do with the fact that humans can't change who they're, their behavior patterns, irrationality, fear, ignorance etc...

This leadership will do whatever the fuck it wants to do. I'm not inclined to care much as this gen is only the early pain years of a direction full of pitfalls but the PS6 generation is sure to bring all the wagons home - the project's culmination - the hand off period too. I can bet on that safely in Vegas. Unfortunately for me, I plan on gaming for many more years to come, which is why it still bothers the fuck out of me.

The kicker is that I doubt a sound alternative will arise by then - for my standards. Competitors usually like to see the King bleed first before making a serious move at the throne (the smell of weakness, not just cause an opening exists - which it does). I'll have to tune out to the best of my ability a lot of the coming pains for the brand, and gaming, as a whole - after all we're dealing with the market leader here. Stagnation is already clear everywhere I look - this gen has been largely a disaster for new graphics, rendering tech and new IPs.

Last edited:

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Principal Environment Artist @ Naughty Dog

Even the Employees are saying it's bad. Hopefully Sony will take note of the feedback here

Last edited:

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Principal Environment Artist @ Naughty Dog

Even the Employees are saying it's bad. Hopefully Sony will take note of the feedback here

Nah, people will just attack this post saying the employee is wrong and that the pipeline of bangers is full, we just haven't seen it.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Danja1187