Playstation Studios [OT]: News, hype and rumors about PS Studios and Bungie

D

Deleted member 417

I think we will get another SoP or mini-event either end of March or start of April

Reactions: Ezekiel

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Sony getting that Hoyoverse money after the successful launch of Genshin impact with their next game to be released on consoles
Fr-_G3KWAAE1CAR

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
People thought that Playstation was doomed during the PS3 era as well. It may suck for a while, but I think Playstation will endure this. They just have to get to work and remind people how they became so dominant in the first place.

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
People thought that Playstation was doomed during the PS3 era as well. It may suck for a while, but I think Playstation will endure this. They just have to get to work and remind people how they became so dominant in the first place.
Things are different now. You can see how much money is being spent in acquiring some major IPs. MS is implementing a plan to use its resources and dirty tactics to stifle a smaller competitor and destroy their business model (nothing new for them).....this time in the gaming industry.

You can put COD on PS Plus*
Or sell it for $70. We will put COD on Game Pass.

Don't like it eh? Then we will give you ten years, make your own COD rival.

* you have to pay us a hefty amount for this

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Things are different now. You can see how much money is being spent in acquiring some major IPs. MS is implementing a plan to use its resources and dirty tactics to stifle a smaller competitor and destroy their business model (nothing new for them).....this time in the gaming industry.

I think While Microsoft getting AKB approved is a blow to sony, they literally are playing 4D chess. Sony is just better at gaming than MS plain and simple, and this fall we will see why.

Also next year I believe new Bungie title will release, and to me that will print money for Sony on top of Devotion games who are making the next big shooter/Online game.

To me MS fucked up in my book, a cornered Sony is a fucking murderous dangerous Sony.

Here's Sony played by Les Grossman(Jim Ryan) taking that call about new deal going forward for COD under MS ownership:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

I think there's a bit too much doom and gloom going on atm. When it comes to the gaming industry, Microsoft have historically had a bad problem with gaining the advantage and utterly wasting it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
When did that insider that the next State of Play was going to be? It woud be nice to see it announced tomorrow.

I think While Microsoft getting AKB approved is a blow to sony, they literally are playing 4D chess. Sony is just better at gaming than MS plain and simple, and this fall we will see why.

Also next year I believe new Bungie title will release, and to me that will print money for Sony on top of Devotion games who are making the next big shooter/Online game.

To me MS fucked up in my book, a cornered Sony is a fucking murderous dangerous Sony.
Sony having like twice the consoles sold, MAU, game subs, market share and so on isn't them being cornered.

As I remember, since MS bought Minecraft they didn't release a single big hit from their acquired studios. I think Starfield, mostly developed outside MS, may be their first hit but I think will be very far from being as successful as Skyrim or Fallout 3 or 4 at all specially because the lack of PS version.

I think Sony has a lineup of shooters in the works that will make irrelevant the ones from MS like Halo, Forza and so on. I think it's pretty likely that one of them may even outperform the sales of a CoD (but obviously won't be a yearly franchise). I think Sony is aiming beyond that, I think they are chasing to make the next Fornite/GTA Online.

And Sony had all these projects before the Zenimax and ABK acquisitions, so won't even need to react to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Papacheeks

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
When did that insider that the next State of Play was going to be? It woud be nice to see it announced tomorrow.

Sony having like twice the consoles sold, MAU, game subs, market share and so on isn't them being cornered.

As I remember, since MS bought Minecraft they didn't release a single big hit from their acquired studios. I think Starfield, mostly developed outside MS, may be their first hit but I think will be very far from being as successful as Skyrim or Fallout 3 or 4 at all specially because the lack of PS version.

I think Sony has a lineup of shooters in the works that will make irrelevant the ones from MS like Halo, Forza and so on. I think it's pretty likely that one of them may even outperform the sales of a CoD (but obviously won't be a yearly franchise). I think Sony is aiming beyond that, I think they are chasing to make the next Fornite/GTA Online.

And Sony had all these projects before the Zenimax and ABK acquisitions, so won't even need to react to them.

Yup, I believe honestly the main thing they are scared of is MS buying publishers. Or ballooning to the point in subscriptions that other Third party publishers can't ignore that and start leasing their games on the service. But I think we are years away from that being a threat to Sony.

I think if they get just a couple of MP games released that have a decent enough playerbase, I think those will bring in enough revenue between Playstation/PC that ABK deal will be a nothing burger.

Also no one is talking about what a restructured AKB will look like let alone how MS mobile storefront will be like. It could be complete shit like Windows mobile was.

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
I think if they get just a couple of MP games released that have a decent enough playerbase, I think those will bring in enough revenue between Playstation/PC that ABK deal will be a nothing burger.
Nope. 1st party games can't replace 3rd party game revenue.

Sony has to pay to make 1st party games, unlike Call of Duty.

Its like if you and your wife make 100k/year combined. Then you get divorced, so you get a second job and now make the same 100k/year without your ex-wife's income. Except you now work two fucking jobs. Same income, higher cost. Not the same.

Even if Sony someday gets the same consistent, very large, yearly revenue as they get now from CoD, they'll still have to spend billions and hire another 1000+ people. Where as right now Sony gets it all for basically free, with no risk, while Activision makes the games, spends all the money, and takes all the risk.

D

Deleted member 417

If we're talking about Japanese devs with western impact, then Capcom are the ones to buy.

Street fighter
Lost Planet
Dragons Dogma (One of the best RPGs and games ever made)
Monster Hunter
Resident Evil
DMC

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Nope. 1st party games can't replace 3rd party game revenue.

Sony has to pay to make 1st party games, unlike Call of Duty.

Its like if you and your wife make 100k/year combined. Then you get divorced, so you get a second job and now make the same 100k/year without your ex-wife's income. Except you now work two fucking jobs. Same income, higher cost. Not the same.

Even if Sony someday gets the same consistent, very large, yearly revenue as they get now from CoD, they'll still have to spend billions and hire another 1000+ people. Where as right now Sony gets it all for basically free, with no risk, while Activision makes the games, spends all the money, and takes all the risk.

Nope, Bungie's new titles wont be first party exclusive they will be Multiplatform as per their agreement with Sony's ownership.

And they have multiple titles in the works.

They spent 3.3 Billion to retain talent. And if you don't think Sony is getting good revenue from Bungie I have news for you. I understand COD will hurt them, but its not like they wont have other revenue streams.

They are not doomed.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: KnittedKnight

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Nope, Bungie's new titles wont be first party exclusive they will be Multiplatform as per their agreement with Sony's ownership.

And they have multiple titles in the works.

They spent 3.3 Billion to retain talent. And if you don't think Sony is getting good revenue from Bungie I have news for you. I understand COD will hurt them, but its not like they wont have other revenue streams.

They are not doomed.
You replied to the wrong person.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
The agreement with Sony states that ALL future Bungie titles should all be multiplatform? As in Xbox multiplatform?

Does the acquisition agreement make any distinction to the number of platforms that this requirement must satiate? Does it specify which? Can it just be PC and PS for example? We all know Nintendo isn't covered so there is caveat there already.

I would very much like to see that agreement if any of you have the link for that specific clause. Suspect me likes to verify before trust. Word of mouth and "interpretations of media interviews" can be wrong you see.